Zivkovic vs tang

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by migopod, Nov 21, 2007.

1. migopod

migopod Podium

I've gotten two Zivkovic BII grips in the past and neither of them has been easy to fit on an epee tang. In both cases the holes (for lack knowledge of correct technical term) have been too small for the tangs of any blade I've tried fitting them to, including StM non-FIE, BF FIE, and Blade fleche FIE and non-FIE. I've ended up using a tiny file to painstakingly widen the hole ultimately with success, but as I'm thinking of getting another BII, I'm wondering if anybody has had this problem with Zivkovics and/or if they're sized for a particular blade that I just haven't tried yet.

Thanks!

2. lefty_monster

lefty_monster Rookie

I've never used zivkovic, but someone told me that the grips are drilled to only fit the tangs of zivkovik blades. Which would be exactly why I've never bought any of their weapons.

3. keith

keith Podium

It is not uncommon to find blades/handles that are incompatible - nothing special about Zivkovic grips here.

Get a large heavy flat file and round of the edges of the tang between the shoulder of the blade and where it meets the threads (take care not to file of the thread). This is easier than trying to widen the hole in the grip.

4. HDG

HDG Podium

I don't believe that there are Zivkovic blades; they sell all the regulars.

5. migopod

migopod Podium

I was curious about that as well. My internal metallurgist tells me that filing the tang might lead to stress risers, but the more objective internal metallurgist tells me that the threaded portion of the tang is all stress riser, and the square portion is probably never going to be more prone to break.

Grip one I did as a combination of tang rounding and hole enlargement and I've not broken a tang yet.

Thanks all for the input.

6. CvilleFencer

CvilleFencer Podium

While pretty much every Ziv grip I have mounted on a blade has needed it, it is not uncommon to have to file the tang of a blade down to get a guard or grip to fit onto it. As long as you are not cutting on the welds directly or file of a huge amount of metal, it is not a problem. I use a dremmel by the way, saves a lot of time/effort.

7. acaba

acaba Made the Cut

I have had this problem long before Ziv. equipment came on the market, and I expect it to last until long after.

I prefer to use a bench grinder for this work. Whatever method you choose, be careful not to totally round the corners of the tang. You need to leave some of the square part close to the base of the blade to keep the grip from spinning on the tang. Sometimes it is necessary to remove some of the corners on the tang, and sometimes it is necessary to make the tang thinner to fit into the narrow square hole in the grip.

Aaron

8. Bran

Bran Rookie

Hello,

The BII grips you are referring to are no longer in production because of that problem. We in fact had to switch manufacturers because the old one wasn't responding to our complaints about workmanship.

The openings have been fixed to proper size on all models and will fit on any blade now. This adjustment was made probably about 2 years ago.

Regards,

Bran Zivkovic

9. Tomas N

Tomas N Podium

I have several of the old style zivkoviks. They are a pain to fit. As others have said, sometimes with other blade/grip combos you need to do some filing, but the old Zivs were awful. The holes also aren't aligned properly on mine, so when I finally got it on, it was crooked.

The new grips are better in that respect. Unfortunately those also need modification, as I get blisters from the enormous grooves for the thumb and index finger that are cut into the grip. I've filed these down on the new ones I bought, but at some point I just decided to go with viscontis or PBTs to save myself the hassle.

Tomas

10. Tripod

Tripod Rookie

Stretched out like the Z-grip's mother mold.

11. Shi no Tenshi

Shi no Tenshi Podium

I use a Zivkovic B grip myself, and have never had these problems with it. It is their largest grip, if I recall correctly, so that might have something to do with it....

12. Rick Shellhouse

Rick Shellhouse Rookie

The newer molds in fact do address the tang issue as we have had no issues with fitting any blades (to be honest I dont have any LP's lying around but BF, Vniti, STM etc

Rick Shellhouse