Zivkovic pistol grips

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by deepwave, Apr 14, 2009.

?

What was your opinion based on your experience with these grips?

1. Approve

68.0%
  2. Disaprove

12.0%
  3. Mediocre

20.0%
  1. deepwave

deepwave Rookie

Has anyone tried any of these? If so, what did you think? Are the descriptions they offer on their website accurate?

Does anyone know if this is accurate?:
    The Zivkovic Z handle looks strange at first because of its palm shaping. The handle provides excellent control for defensive fencers as well as no finger grooves or heel support for offensive fencers, creating a desirable balance.

Any comments on what fencing styles each of the different grips they sell are best for?

2. victord66

victord66 Rookie

I've tried these grips for foil and even though they provide a great deal of control I found the upright was in the wrong position and chafed my thumb terribly. I tried grinding it down, but ultimately stopped using them.

3. deepwave

deepwave Rookie

Ooh, that sucks :( . Do you remember which variation of the grip it was?

4. victord66

victord66 Rookie

I think it was the Zivkovic G or GII Handle, but I'll check for sure when I get home tonight. I think I still have one kicking around. In any event I think most of their handles have the same design flaw. (Well for me it was a design flaw)

5. TodG

TodG Made the Cut

6. VorpalCat

VorpalCat Podium

<edited>

Never mind! TodG beat me to it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  7. victord66

victord66 Rookie

It's definitely the G handle.

8. Nolano

Nolano Rookie

Like any grip, it's a personal preference thing. I'm not a big fan of the B's, but I rather like the K. Enough so that I'm still using it.

9. masker

masker Made the Cut

Keep in mind that this means nothing, unless you happen to know that your hand, finger work, and play style are all identical to his. You might have the same problem, you might not. You might have entirely different problems. But enough people love Zivkovics that they can't simply be written off as bad grips.

There's really no way to find out whether they'll work for you except by using them for a while. (Unless you're one of those people who has a very concrete idea of what you're looking for...but then you wouldn't be posting a thread like this. :p ) Sometimes you can figure it out just holding one for a few moments, but often it's taken me a couple of weeks of actual play with a new grip.

Hopefully you can borrow a few to try out.

10. victord66

victord66 Rookie

Give me your address in a pm and I'll send you my old handle by post, n/c. If you like it fine, if not, no great loss.

11. deepwave

deepwave Rookie

Oh, I'm going to try them out myself, I was just wondering if anyone knew if the Z really gives more control and if it is good for both offensive and defensive styles. :p

12. rockchalk77

rockchalk77 Rookie

I'm a fan of the KIII and Z's. I'm a long time convert from using a Belgian because the longer I fence throughout a day the tighter I tend to grip - eventually developing a pretty impressive death grip. The Zivs greatly discourage this tendency in me and my hand is very happy about it.

Technically my point control has gotten better, but that's probably more a side effect of me not having the death grip anymore. :dunce:

13. masker

masker Made the Cut

The ideas behind the grip are sound. Whether it'll work for you or not, and how well or how poorly is a different story. (Disclaimer: The K grips are my favorite grips ever, so you could call me a Ziv fan. I do like the basic feel of the Z, but I dislike the look :)o) so much I never gave it much of a chance.)

Until you've really refined to a very high degree of precision exactly what is optimal for you in a grip, 97.2% of what makes a good one comes down to two simple questions:

Is it comfortable?
    Can you hold on to it easily?