Zivkovic Handel's

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by smeric28, Apr 17, 2005.

1. smeric28

smeric28 Rookie

Ok folks, I need some advice. I am looking at buying new handels and would like suggestions on which one to buy. To start with I currently use tripplette pbt handels which I like but are a little to short (my hand across the knuckels is to wide). I can still fit my hand on the grip but it makes my hand ach horribly the next morning. What I really want in a handel is a visconti like finger grip with a wide heel (think zivkovitc). I fence foil. Any suggestions?

2. Cipher

Cipher Rookie

I use a Zivkovic KII, but it's a little small. You may want to try their K of G handles. The K is a bit larger than my KII and is fairly visconti-like. The G is a little larger than that, but of a very similar feel and design. At $17 each it might be a little painful to order them when you don't know if you'll really like them, but I prefer their handles to all others. However, if you are every in MA..... :)

3. smeric28

smeric28 Rookie

do you have any experience with the BIII handel? i like the negative angle on the nose of the handel. i also like the alignment of the heel, i want one that goes straight back but does not extend past the wrist. alot of the zivkovic heels seem to angle up and im not sure how that will work for me. and the $17 bucks a pop is exactly why i started this thread. i'm obsessive about making all my gear identical so when i buy i'll buy 4 which will get really expensive in a hurry.

4. dbell1

dbell1 Rookie

zivkovic's are great. I'm primarily an epeeist, but when I do pick up a foil, i'm a big fan of the ZII. I also have large hands and it's just a little bigger than their standard Z style grip. you're not going to have the lower finger control as well as the triplette grips, but with a good electric blade, (i'd recomend an unwired dynamo blades for practice) and depending on your style, you should easily (at least I did) find that your over all point control increases because the grip encourages you to use your thumb and index finger, while keeping the rest of your hand comfortable, as well as your wrist moveable- all and all, a great grip to give a try.

Mr Epee likes this.
  5. smeric28

smeric28 Rookie

i should add also that i do like small handels on foil. i can use a small visconti, i just like the medium becuase there is a little more meat for the helper fingers for a strong beat or a chest flick. also the triplette grips i have would be perfect if the "helper finger" part of the grip were only 1/4'' longer. i did once have the opertunity to try a zivkovic grip but it was one of the first ones they made. it was huge and had a tendancy to want to twist out of my hand. if you looked at it from the top down the heal bent severly toward what would be the fencer's body. i need a straight heel.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  6. dbell1

dbell1 Rookie

you'd probably have a better time then not using a zivkovic z series. if you're bent on getting something from them i'd suggest the k model. that one seems to have what you'd be looking for. also, remember that most grips are made to be hacked, sawed, filled and customized to peices. as the weapons master in my club, i couldn't even begin to explain all the different guards i've chopped up for different fencers. keep that in mind- you can always buy big and chop it down

7. smeric28

smeric28 Rookie

the K handels look like what i want. But i like the extra finger grips on the b series does anybody have experience with those? i do know you can modify grips. for instance i could order some visconti's and saw off the heel to be the length that i want. i just can't add material which is why i'm looking at grips with a wide heel. also i'm not bent on zivkovic, they just seem to have the biggest selection of the kind of grips i like.

8. Aestro

Aestro Rookie

I love my zivkovic Z with a passion, as the maneuverability is unmatched. I also have small hands for a guy (I fit into a small triplette glove a couple years ago!). However, since you mentioned strong beats or flicks, I would advise against the Z. It has pretty much no wrist support, so it gets beat around like a french grip. It is much better suited for those who like to disengage a LOT. If you like the wide handle, a Zivvy is still probably your best bet, only as mentioned above, one of the other models would probably suit you better.

Maybe try hitting up a tournament and looking around, asking people if you can hold their weapon for a minute? I found the Zivkovic through a visitor to the club and it was love at first sight.

9. remise

remise Rookie

My son uses the B. It is a very 'masculine' grip for big hands that carries a bit of weight to it. I don't fence foil, but my son claims that the "B" grip makes the foil blade feel light as air. Hope this helps.

10. Cipher

Cipher Rookie

I have a BII on my epee and it's a pretty beefy handle. The BIII might be a bit better suited for foil though. My BII is pretty comfortable, but it's a little too big for my taste.

11. Mr Epee

Mr Epee Rookie

Have you considered holding your weapon properly?

There is no need to maul the handle with your palm.

Using your fingers will do just fine!

12. smeric28

smeric28 Rookie

the B and the BII are both larger than the BIII as far as i can tell. the real trouble is i can only see the one view of the handel off the zivkovic website. does anybody have some more "views" of zivkovic handels they could post?

btw what size glove does your son use (assuming it fits snugly). i use a large or a 9.5 which is the mesure around my knuckles.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  13. smeric28

smeric28 Rookie

i do not plam in the grip. the grips i have are just not long enough in the helper finger portion(makes my hand feel like i have arthritius the next morning and i'm 23). i still properly form the fulcrum between my thumb and index finger.

14. smeric28

smeric28 Rookie

on a side note does anybody know the user id of the gentleman from zivkovic who posts on fencing101.

15. WhipLash

WhipLash Rookie

his user name is BRAN

16. smeric28

smeric28 Rookie

thanks for the user id, but he dosn't allow private message to be sent so i suppose i will have to wait for him to wander in here how lame is that. anyways if anybody has more pictures to share of the BIII or any of the K series i would appriecate it.

17. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

I think I like Zivkovic's Judas Maccabeus better than their Messiah. Music for the Sabre Fireworks is their very best piece, however.

18. Mr Epee

Mr Epee Rookie

Suit yourself, but I'm telling you that this is huge indication that it's the way you're holding it, and not just the size of your handle.

19. achilleus

achilleus Rookie

Word.

Gotta agree with Mystery here....

20. smeric28

smeric28 Rookie

ok hold your hand out like your going to karate chop. now smash your fingers together with your other hand hard. hold for an hour tell me what happens. this is what my current grips are doing to me. of course i could hold it like a french grip from the back of the pommel but then what's the point.

Anyways, thanks for all your help guys i just got off the phone with zivkovic i decided on the BIII handels