Youtube Stuff

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by twisterfencing, Oct 4, 2018.

1. dcchew

dcchew Podium

If you plan to use Goop glue to reattach the grommet trim on your LP X-Change mask, I'd suggest that you set aside the mask 2 or 3 days out in the open after applying the glue. There is definitely a chemical type smell to the mask. It takes a good weekend to dissipate the odor.

Another tip to using Goop glue is to mask the edge between the mask mesh and the grommet material with gaffer tape. Also cover the grommet with gaffer tape too. Some people have the tendency to use too much glue and once you reinsert the grommet over the edge of the mask, the glue squeezes out everywhere. The tape protects the mesh and the grommet. This is similar to masking edges when you paint a wall.

twisterfencing and jkormann like this.
  2. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

This is the better option if you have to do the entire thing, IMO.

3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Gary,

Are the high resin glue sticks available in the 1/4" diameter mini size? Like many guys, I carry a small glue gun in my tool case and they use the mini sticks. As usual, thanks for the information. I always try and improve my tools to do a better job.

BTW, I got the order you sent me and sold the 2 Negrini foil body cord clips at the last local RYC during the 1st day.

twisterfencing likes this.
  4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I completely agree that there is a need for better information on all the basics than what is out there. The problem is that most of the people who need that information do not know how to evaluate which video has the correct information. If you start with something where you are not competing with misinformation, it makes it easier to build your credibility with the masses.

I also have the ulterior motive that I really want to see a video on how you balance an epee :)

5. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I have to agree with Danger Mouse about the quality of information that is out on the internet. There are some things that I would never do as a armorer. For example, the use of locktite on tip barrels. Some people don't use it at all, some use permanent {red} locktite. I prefer to use the blue locktite just because it's removable and readily available.

I would hate to be the armorer who has to rewire a foil blade between rounds and find that the tip barrel has been installed with permanent locktite.

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah....I watched someone (collegiate fencer, I think), show how to rewire an epee and 1) missed SO many things you and I look for and 2) didn't explain anything about what they were doing, or more importantly, WHY.

7. brtech

brtech Podium

Well, I would indeed be unhappy if someone presented me a weapon that needed a rewire between rounds that had red loctite, but as long as I knew what the issue was, my torch would loosen the barrel in a few seconds. As long as the cup came out once the barrel was off and cooled, it wouldn't add a lot of time. I'm a no-loctite kind of armorer. It can make a mess of the threads on both the tip and the barrel, and I don't think it helps much.

8. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

OK,
    I'll mention your name in the Video: just for you :)

DangerMouse likes this.
  9. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

dcchew,
    I am a "red" thread locker user!

Been using it for about the last 9 or 10 years??

The amount of surface area covered at the threads to the barrel, is not that hard to get off compared to blue. Now, for those that super glue the points, different story. I teach, use and practice "red" thread lock on every single weapon that takes a point. To be exact: I use Zap Z-72 red thread locker.

10. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

dcchew,
    The odor (free high) time is about 6 hours. After that, its gone.
    Reason I said: let it dry overnight. At the shop, I use Barge's shoe rubber glue, that stuff is out right toxic but it holds where others just will not.

Funny: local meet, did this repair, went to bathroom, kid had to be on strip of course, Mom picked up mask, took the clips off and ran to the kid. I came back, saw the clips on the table, went out to look for it and could not see the kid. Few minutes later, a kid passed out on strip. Hmmmmm???? Fumes! Knowledge! Sometimes do not mix. The story: I didn't know, only goes so far.

11. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Guys
    Just an update,
    I am headed to Milwaukee at dawn in the morning. If I do not respond to something, you know the reason.
    Thank you to all for the info. I have to make the decision now on the yes or no on this.
    Poop load of work. Opening myself up to all the "you should have done this or that" kind of critic from folks that barely know the difference between a foil and a epee?

Good luck and take care

Gary

12. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Gary, that's the point I was trying to make. There are many ways to do things and it will vary from person to person. As long as the job gets done and the weapon operates reliably, I have no problem. Perhaps we should come up with a "best practice" consensus beforehand.

As to brtech's suggestion on using a torch to loosen a foil barrel installed with red locktite, I don't carry a small torch in my tool case. I guess I could use my soldering iron or a cigarette lighter as a substitute.

As a mechanical engineer (now retired as of 8/10/2018 :)), I should note that the loctite manufacturer recommends blue and red loctite be used for fasteners that are 1/4" and larger. For smaller fasteners, purple loctite is recommended. The problem is that purple loctite isn't readily available. Nowadays, I guess you can probably find it on Amazon.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  13. dcchew

dcchew Podium

14. Pezza

Pezza Rookie

Hi Gary
    I am in favour of you doing the videos. I've had to learn the armory that I know by myself through trial and error over the years. I don't know you but from what I've seen you seem to talk sense.
    If you do produce the videos please concentrate on doing things properly rather than doing things quickly.
    I have no objection to you advertising your products .it's good to know what's available anyway. Thanks for volunteering it is appreciated.
    Pezza

15. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Pezza

BINGO!

This is the very reason I am even thinking about doing this.

You would be the exact audience I am looking for.

Your statement: but from what I've seen you seem to talk sense
    Been doing this for about 25 years - Ran/Owned the Nataional Repair Center for the USFA for about 12 years.
    My opinion of myself, I am a hack, but from others like Dan DeChaine, one of, not the #1 but one of the best Armorer's, you fill in the blank ___________________________.

Just trying to fill a void that is out there for the normal mom or dad that is out there that can only figure out how to do something via YouTube that take 4 minutes to watch and 5 minutes to fix and take the next call.

Thanks

Gary Spruill