Youtube Stuff

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by twisterfencing, Oct 4, 2018.

1. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Armorer's and everyone

Since St. Louis (SN's), I have about 26 emails from folks asking the question of: when are you going to start doing YouTube tutorials??

I have asked myself this question over and over in my head if this is something I want to do or not?

To get the equipment to do it, not a problem. To find the time to do a 1/2 day shot by shot tutorial, well, maybe.

Am I the smartest person to set down in front of a computer and do all the editing of one of these? Not really.

Do I have 20(+) years of experience that I could pass onto the fencer's in our field of Armory? Yes.

The only way I (business man coming out of me now) justify doing it was to list all the parts and tools to do the job and point folks to our website to buy them. Only problem with doing that is: Gary, I can get it cheaper on this site or that one kind of thing. "No Kidding"??

In my head, if I do this would be to have two categories, Beginner Class - newbies, then a Master Class for Armorer's. The only problem with doing it this way is: get a newbie asking "what is a pizza box" or why are you scratching up a foil spring in a Master Class video.

Thinking of simple stuff for newbie's like: Tip Tune Ups, Simple body cord repair, How to set a contact spring. Promise: no suggestions for videos needed. Master Class; reels, proper blade wiring, how to correctly balance a blade and so on. Staying out of weapon control, too many of my friends can do this one on their own. I hate yelling "next"! Not my sand box.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, best ways to drive customer's to site, so on and so on encouraged.

Basically looking for a yes - no kind of thing.

I went online at YouTube, and there "ain't" that much out there. Yes, I see some kids "trying" and give them an A for effort, I also see other videos that I watched and for some reason, left me asking "what"???? Not putting them down, just I did not get it?

OK, enough for now, I am taking a break from doing my "safe sports" tests.

Gary Spruill

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I've got over 30 armory vids on my site now. I REALLY need to reshoot them when I get a better camera setup, but it's working for now.

twisterfencing likes this.
  3. K O'N

K O'N Podium

If I were you and I were going to do this, I'd think about the following:
    • Keep It Simple. You don't need super fancy production values. Set up a fixed camera looking at the work with decent lighting and a mic. Show the camera what you're doing, and explain what you're doing, as though it were a bright but easily bored twelve year old who was watching you. Just show and explain. Then stick a SWORDMASTERS! opening on it and upload it. Fancy production values and multiple cameras and editing are not the point. This is for someone who has a busted epee on Friday night and a competition on Saturday morning. Be clear. Show what you're doing. Explain. Upload. That's it.
    • "I'm at all the NACs, come and say hi if this helped you out!" You want to use this to make a connection to your customers. Get to know them, establish that you're a high end, high quality fencing supply place. This is pushing your brand. I would not, if I were you, push the products much. Maybe at the end say "We sell all this. There's a re-wire kit on our site that has everything you need to rewire your epee, all of it from one company, FWF, all good quality, no mismatched Chinese-made copies or anything." That's true, it plants a little seed of doubt about cheaper parts on other sites and helps you out, but it's not overly pushy.
    • Commit to a complete series on epee repair, for example, before you re-evaluate. This will be a lot more useful and popular if it's a whole series someone can bookmark and look at, rather than oddball one-off orphan videos of one thing or another. Have a plan, stick to the plan. If epee gets good response, do foil. Then do reels. Then do uniforms, what to look for and so on. Then do mask reviews.
    • See point 1. Fancy production values will eat up your time and money and gain you exactly nothing. Set up an iPhone on a tripod, use a mic, talk to it like you're talking to an easily bored but bright twelve year old, because that's what the internet is, and go. When it's done put it in Windows Movie Maker, cut off the bits at the start and the end where you're picking up the camera, stick on your title sheet, and post it.
    Honestly, it's a good idea if you don't let it eat up your life.

oiuyt and twisterfencing like this.
  4. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Kevin,

Like your ideas.
    For me: the only way I could justify doing it was if I had all the parts and tools listed on the "see more" section. Cuts down on the "what is that tool called" emails. Just list it, show it, link it and done.

I already have (most) of the equipment to do it. Would be nice to be able to write it off :)

12 year old, understood. This is called a flat head screwdriver kind of thing.

Production: I know this is a different road, but I cannot do anything half a$$. It's either right, or take your ball and go home with me. If I choose to do it, its going to be right, its going to look good, and will be under 10 minutes. In my mind: the outcome may even be where I say NOTHING except in the opening of it. Let them just watch the video and call it a day. Have some stupid brain dead music playing and just watch, but I am more of a visual person than a verbal one.

I am going to take this as a yes from you. Cool.

Gary

5. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Sam,

Is this a yes or no from you?

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I'd say yes, you should do it...you likely have better resources than I to make vids. I'm limited to a small tripod for my iphone and an in ability to REALLY get the shots I want (pov ones).\

The more recent vids are better than the first few done before I got the tripod, but they can be better.

More qualified armorers putting info out is a good thing....Mergs has a number of vids on his own site.

7. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Sam,

I would be doing it for two folded reasons:
    1. to get the info out there for newbies and master class armorer's and
    2. Drive customer's to our site through YouTube for incremental sales.

These are the two marketing drivers, I don't hide it, I want to be upfront about it so that so that when it comes up, there will be no confusion about it.

One of the darn emails that I mentioned in my first post was from a vendor here in the USA?? Don't ask who!

8. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Here is a light list of topics that is already scheduled:

Beginner Class
    • Foil Tip Tune
    • Epee Tip Tune
    • Foil Body Cord Repair
    • Epee Body Cord Repair
    • Foil Blade Rewire - New blade wire
    • Epee Blade Rewire - New blade wire
    • How to sew holes in a glove - glue down palm
    • How to sew down jackets - knickers
    • How to get smashed screws out of foils
    • How to glue down mask band on masks
    Master Class
    • How to balance a weapon correctly (my opinion)
    • Replace wire in Favero reels - I do not do Uhlmann
    • Replace spring pack in Favero reels
    • Replace the brake system on Favero reels - and a cheap fix
    • Replace main board on Fav Arm 05 scoring, along with touch pad
    • How to build a acetone bomb - 3/4 inch home version to 5 inch commercial one (like mine)
    • How to build a multi lead octopus
    • Different glue applications - filler vs. thin for blades - when to use accelerator and why?
    • How to correctly shape a mask to fit a fencer - safety
    This is whats on the list at this time. I most likely will add more as they come up.
    I can take care of the list for the newbies, but for Armorer's, I would be open to take in suggestions. Anything that you can think of that you wanted to learn yourself or, just tired of telling new armorer's over an over and just direct them to the video to help. Again, I am trying to stay out of weapon control's sand box. I can if there is just no way out of it, but I know, there are fare better folks out there than I to do this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  9. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

For what it's worth, while there would likely be a wider audience for the beginner class portion, there are also a lot of resources out there already for those, even if your videos would be better. I would think the video on how to balance a weapon would be a great way to start with something that is of use to all fencers, but has not been done before.

10. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

This is great. I too have noticed that there are many not-so-great quality videos or videos that have good content but terrible production quality.

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

*ducks head in shame*

One of the things I wanna correct on my own vids.

12. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

Thank you for moving from Facebook to youtube. I like your videos. Sure you could improve production quality, but if I were going to do my own videos I would be using yours as an example of a good starting point.

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Thanks....I don't think I ever had them hosted on FB tho. Links to them ON FB yes, but they're all hosted on YT.

14. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

Sure looking forward to learning more about fixing things! That said, may I ask, what is the best way to glue that plastic edging around the mask perimeter - well enough to please the FIE people who will see it next week..... LP x-change mask. A little surprised that the edge is coming off to begin with.... Thanks!

15. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

Amazing Goop: Plumbing CLR (clear)

You can buy it at hardware stores, Amazon, etc.

16. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Fenceart:

Short answer: Hot glue. Use a hot glue gun, buy the special high resign glue sticks and your done.

Long but better answer:
    1. Buy the mid sized paper clips: click here
    2. Buy some shoe glue: click here

Process:
    If you have a spot of an entire side that has come loose, open that side or spot all the way up. Clean out all the crud that is in that area. You want it clean. Apply the shoe glue in that area. Put a lot in that area. Now, using the binder clamps, clamp it all down over the plastic and onto the metal frame of the mask. Let it dry overnight.

Your done.

Easy??

17. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

DangerMouse,

I watched a video just today on "how to clean the barrel of a foil" and asked myself, why?? Until I started looking for these videos, I never even knew they were out there? It was a couple of kids joking around. Yes, they were trying, but only knew what they were taught and were just repeating it. I did a search for others and there is a ton of just bad information out there. It's not the fault of the person that has a camera, but the one that taught them to do it that way. "My Opinion"

Example: I watched one video where the guy was setting a contact spring on his epee. The guy with the video keep saying to just barely get it to pass the 0.50 mark. You and I both know, this is so very wrong for meets. Never set an epee for 0.50. You set it to no fire at 0.45, and try to get it to fire at 0.42. You and I know the "why" for this in section M.

I had a conversation with a National Armorer about 2 weeks ago on the phone. They called me asking something to do with a foil and I assumed this person knew the basics of how a foil worked. I hate to say it, but I was wrong. I ended up explaining to them how the bottom hat of the blade wire and the spring and the bottom hat of the point all worked together with the collar of the tip and what made it fire? Like I said: I assumed and felt bad asking these questions, but had to explain what was going on to them to help answer their question. This is where I learned, don't assume. No, I am not naming the person.

18. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Well....at least that wasn't me...or my vids!

19. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

Thanks for the mask repair tips..... fortunately, it's a very short area at the very end, so the Goop is probably the best bet.

20. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Your welcome

Spend the $4 or $5 and getter done. :)