Youth Patches. They're Back

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Hoyden, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Hoyden

Hoyden Rookie

Hadn't thought about youth patches, since they seemed to be a thing of the past, as discussed in previous threads. Out of the blue, my daughter just received the Points Winner 2011-2012 patch in the mail. I'm not sure how it was calculated in the past, but the letter that came with it said it was based on results of the 3 Y14 NACs. She didn't get any patches for winning the NACs, let alone the Nikes or warm ups of the past...just a patch out of the blue.

For her, the coolest things are the National finalist t shirts. A medal is worn for a few minutes, but the t shirt is a silent bragging right that can be worn over and over. She never wore her patches after she started fencing opens and cadet events.

I don't know if this means they'll be back for each NAC of the season or what the future plan is. The letter didn't say.

2. Jason

Jason Podium

US Fencing is saved!

3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

It wasn't US Fencing. It was Patch Adams.

4. indypacers

indypacers Made the Cut

Yeah, patches are back now can I get my back patches from back in the day when USFA frowned upon patches???

5. lewis

lewis Made the Cut

Some medals are better than others. Some live forever in the sock drawer. Some get tossed in a box. Some never leave the fencing bag some never leave the warm=up pocket. Depends on what it was for and who they beat to get it. I take all the medals that are in the shoeboxes the rest of the year and hang them on the 'Christmas' tree - the ones I like best in the front (none is mine so the choices are for the actual result or for the color of the ribbon - red white and blue nac medal ribbons are kind of a bummer - the solid ones in bright colors look better with lights..........). This initiates conversation with the relatives, but more fun for me is to hear the kiddos discussing them - doesn't matter how old the medal - they know who they beat to get the gold ones and the score, and who they lost to and the score for everything else. Points patches are generally won by a kid whose parentals could take junior to every nac.

I disagree - for me the medals are the best. T-shirts are also cool - but in our house apparently better if stolen from a sib than if they belong to you.

6. Fencingmom1

Fencingmom1 DE Bracket

YEAH! That means my daughter's patch is in the mail. She will be excited!

7. Diesel

Diesel Made the Cut

Lewis, you don't get this particular patch for just showing up. There is only one patch given for the entire season for each weapon/ age/ gender. Yes, we brought our son to both NACs (some kind of crime, I'm sure), but he was the one who spent countless hours preparing for these tournaments. For him winning this patch was the culmination of an incredibly tough season (and superb coaching). Cheers,

8. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Podium

9. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Just as long as it isn't Patches the hyena.