Youth Olympic Games (YOG) - Fencing Oct 7-10

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Ancientepee, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The Opening Ceremony for the Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires, Argentina, is on Saturday, October 6, and the fencing events will be held the following four days with two individual events held on each of the first three days and a 6-weapon team event on the fourth day.

It looks like the results will be posted real-time here:
    https://www.buenosaires2018.com/results/en/fencing/daily-schedule.htm?lng=en

Attached to this posting is a report of the fencers that are entered via the FIE in the individual events, including the American entries. There may be no-shows or last minute substitutions. If anyone can supply me with the missing native language names of those who do not use the Latin alphabet, please send me a private message with those names. Please indicate both the name as shown in the Latin alphabet and the name in the native script.

Attached Files:

anton_fairfax likes this.
  2. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Do you have any info on the YOG rules for qualification? Is it just each country gets 1 entry? Surprising to see men's epee so small (only 11 fencers, compared to up to 15 in other events). Also, will they be doing pools --> DEs and with what seedings?

3. mfp

mfp Podium

4. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Thanks mfp. I've been stuck using Altavista to go to Bing so very helpful.

With that said, cool to see USA is the only country to get the full quota of 6 qualifiers (other than host nation Argentina which got them automatically).

5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Come in!

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Am I missing something or are the events REALLY that small?? I see 14 entries for some events.

7. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The Youth Olympic Games are a PR event, especially for fencing. The results are absolutely meaningless. The qualification criteria were specifically designed to allow countries who don't have a chance of qualifying a fencer to the "real" Olympics to qualify athletes to an "Olympics". As a result, the entry size was made deliberately small and many of those who qualify have never had a significant international result. Some of the top-ranked fencers each year who do qualify decline the invitation to compete because the competition is so weak and the number of competitors so small. This is the third time that they're being held. What coverage of the last two do you recall seeing? That should give you an idea as to how important they are. I'm attaching the results from the last two (2010 and 2014). If you recognize more than a third of the names, I'd be amazed.

Attached Files:

8. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Also fencers can range in age from 14 to 17 which is a very big gap at that point in physical and athletic performance. If this were a truly important even, they'd hold it every other year.

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeesh....I see what you mean.

10. CBS

CBS Rookie

So I have been looking around on the YOG website and have found lots of information but no way to actually watch live fencing. Is it actually being broadcast anywhere? Maybe not, just thought it would be fun to see.
    Thanks for any effective links that anyone can share!

11. mfp

mfp Podium

Go to the Olympic channel site at:

Sign in. (Create an account first if you don't already have one).

Click on the "Youth Olympics Game Channel - Watch Live" link that floats by at some point.

Hunt down your sport of interest and see if it's being covered on one of the live channels.

12. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

USA results so far:
    CMS: 4th VIDOVSZKY Robert
    CWF: Bronze TIEU May
    CME: 8th HERBST Isaac
    CWE: 5th VERMUELE Emily

Edit: updated with correct weapons and final placings per following posts

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  13. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Based on their seeding in the DE, Herbst will finish in 8th and Vermuele in 5th.

14. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

That would be CWF, I think. May Tieu is a foil fencer.

15. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Actually, to be strictly correct, I should have said "Based on their seeding into the DE round, ..." since this can be different from the number shown on the DE table but is what is used to determine final placement.

16. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The individual events have finished. The US won a silver medal in the CMF. Tomorrow is the last day of fencing with a 6-weapon team event. There are eight team each representing a region rather than a country. There are two teams for the "Americas" and it looks like one with have five US fencers and one Mexican while the sixth US fencer will be on the second team. Here's what I have for the individual results:

Attached Files:

17. Zebra

Zebra Podium

The team event is supposed to be on the Olympic Channel coverage tomorrow at 7:00 pm ET.

18. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The way the seeding worked out, in the first round the two America team will fence each other, the two Asia-Ociana teams will fence each other, the Europe 2 & 3 teams will fence each other, and only the fourth match-up (Europe1 vs Africa) involves two different regions fencing each other.

19. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The team results.

Attached Files: