Y14 ranking and Cadet Ranking - College entrance

Discussion in 'Parent's Corner' started by toshibamouse60, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toshibamouse60

toshibamouse60 Rookie

Hi - I am new here. My daughter has been fencing experience coming to 3 years. She is 14 and a foil fencer. So my question here is when we prepare her for college (NCAA Program), will her Y14 overall ranking nationally an important criteria or it's her Cadet ranking? I have to be realistic since is a so new to fencing and with 3 years more, I see a slim chance she can be anywhere near the top 32 at Cadet. She is now rated C14. So i am keeping my option for Div II NCAA schools as well. Academically she is very driven.

Thanks in advance.
    Kim

2. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

In my experience, colleges care about cadet and junior national points rankings, not ratings or youth results. If you want her to get a fencing team slot at a great fencing school, you are probably looking at needing to be in the top 8 fencers in national rankings. If she would like to fence "walk on" or not be on the travel team, or if you are just looking at fencing as her "here's a cool thing I do in addition to my academics", then top 32 is probably fine.

There are relatively few team slots and fewer scholarship opportunities in women's fencing, and it can depend on which weapons each school is focusing on each year (took three epee last year, looking for foil this year)- good luck!

3. Diesel

Diesel Made the Cut

In the general forum there is a posting from a few months ago which includes an attachment listing which fencers were joining which college teams. If you cross-reference back to last season's Junior and Cadet rankings you will get a sense for how things shake out.

If you are focused on a particular school, they should have their team roster available on their athletics website and you can also cross reference to the rankings.

Keep in mind that schools only recruit what they need to complete their team, which may be one or two (or zero) fencers in a particular weapon each year.

You can also look at the usfa's historical rankings to see where those same fencers were ranked as youth fencers or young cadets.

Cheers,

4. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

I've seen the "there aren't too many open team slots" point made on this forum before and I don't know that I'd wholly agree. For example, at Columbia, I count 8 new freshman on the woman's roster this year. Not that every team has that sort of room every year, but...

As for youth results not mattering, I agree that cadet and junior results and rankings are the ones that matter to college coaches...that said, as Diesel hints, if you look at the top kids in Cadets and Juniors, most of the top fencers were also top fencers at the youth level.

5. paulfriedberg

paulfriedberg Rookie

You never know how well your child will develop...depends on coaching, practice and motivation, among other factors. There are plenty of very good schools that would welcome an experienced fencer, so she does not have to world-ranked by any means. When you go to larger tournaments you should talk to kids who are at the schools you have an interest in and abide by the NCAA rules for coach interactions.

6. Stencils

Stencils DE Bracket

7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Guys, check the dates on the messages you're replying to. That thread ended three years ago.

8. Stencils

Stencils DE Bracket

Yep, it was 2014, I saw a recent comment and just piled on without looking at the original date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.