Wy epee sucks

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by saber dude, Sep 27, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saber dude

saber dude Rookie

theres sum-thing about standing 5ft. from each other for a minute, lunging at the same time missing, and then trying to stab each-other in the but. I Dont Get It!

Saber Dude

2. FencerInUS

FencerInUS Rookie

*dons fencing mask and hides behind the far table, awaiting the slavo of epees that will invairably come flying in your direction* youre on your own bud.

------------------
    F.I.US.
    Parry, THEN riposte
    --)--------

3. robbie

robbie Rookie

whoosh!
    whoosh!
    whoosh!

(The sounds of epees flying past!)
    (Good luck saber dude ... this foilist stands back!)

4. cleghmor

cleghmor Rookie

You should talk. Saber fencing is the equivalent of ice dancing. Its not wether you landed on target it is if you look good and the ref likes what you do. I'll stick the the 1/25th of a second ref myself.

5. HilandDoug

HilandDoug Rookie

You know, Dude, in epee, the ref can't say you were in preperation, or that your attack was late. Aldo Nadi said it is the closest thing to a real duel. If you choose to make a risky move, you have that right. There are no rules to say you can't do something. Heck, if I understand correctly, you can even deliver a body check, hockey style. And, yes, I fence sabre on occasion. Haven't competed in epee. YET.

[This message has been edited by HilandDoug (edited 09-28-2000).]

6. sabreur

sabreur Podium

Well, I always thought epee was what you did when you got old and you couldn't move anymore--and your reflexes got too bad to parry... [​IMG]

However, I'm fairly sure that body checks aren't allowed even in epee--there is something in the rules about corps a corps with violence.

Regards, Mark Ray

7. John

John Rookie

ha...there's a new one...sabre-ists making fun of epee. Obviously saber-dude you were watching 2 novices at epee. That would be like me saying that saber is simply just waiting for the command to fence then crashing into each other. But we all know that it's more than that...right? Somebody please tell me you guys parry...

ps Yes you can body check, sort of...as long as the other fencer isn't moved (I think they use the term jostled)

8. eternal109

eternal109 Rookie

But John you wouldn't know anything about that would you....or fleche-ing past someone and touching them in the back either.... :p
    eternal109

[This message has been edited by eternal109 (edited 09-28-2000).]

9. Mengarath the Dragon

Mengarath the Dragon Rookie

And just what's so great about saber!?! I seem to remember the tempo of the most recent saber competition I saw going stomp, stomp, slap. Two steps forward and then slap each other with the ref declares simultaneous action. Talk about pointless! Saber is more like jousting than fencing. Run at each other and hope the other guy misses or the ref likes you better. Ha! Besides, in electric saber you don't even have to hit with the cutting edge.
    Dumb!

------------------
    Mengarath the Dragon

Life is to short to be ordinary.

10. scarlet_woman156k

scarlet_woman156k Rookie

Speaking as an epeeist...who cares?!?! It's like comparing MACs to PCs...it's all in what weapon you feel comfortable with. It isn't about which one is better (aka, my thingy is bigger than your thingy). Grow up. [​IMG]

Last night at practice, yes, it was waiting each other out...but I was paying very close attention to my opponent's actions to my movements...it's a big trapping game, sometimes. So, from someone watching the bouting, it looks very dull, but there are hundreds of things flooding through my mind and very slight manipulation tactics as well.

The rules are different, so the play and the outcome are going to be different than foil and sabre. You can't play the same with different rules. It doesn't work.

scarlet.

11. ladybug

ladybug Rookie

Scarlettwoman

Well put!!!

I don't "get" epee, but I respect the patience of those that do.

12. HilandDoug

HilandDoug Rookie

Well said, Mengarath. Since the advent of electric sabre, it is no longer the cavalry sabre of old, but Luke Skywalker's LightSabre. The whole blade is "hot", and coaches now seem to teach students to hit the parrying blade hard and flat, to encourage a whipover. This should disappear with the new blades, however. My last competition in electric sabre was Sept 16, and I saw NO whipovers at all. And although I came in dead last out of 9, I had more fun than you could possibly imagine. I had to parry a bit larger than I was used to(because my jacket was so large), but once I got the hang of it, I stopped the attack (once in a great while) and hit on the riposte. Had two "B" fencers in the pool who cleaned my clock, but I got a free lesson!

13. saber dude

saber dude Rookie

you know another thing is that theres no right of way. the first one who lunges will win...the worst u can get is a simo-

~Saber Dude~

PS. Iv seen this quality of fencing in national tournaments

14. scarlet_woman156k

scarlet_woman156k Rookie

Well, sabre dude, what are you suggesting that should be done? I don't think complaining to this board is going to do much good about it.

scarlet.

15. rusty epee

rusty epee Rookie

Sabre, I have also noticed a disturbing trend with sabre fencers; none of them can either spell or write well. Does this come from too many head cuts, I wonder? [​IMG] Let's face it. There are a lot of guys out there who take up sabre because they lack the point control to do anything else.

(...feels the uncomfortable whoosh of sabre in flight wheeling over uncomfortable scalp...)

And for that matter, guys, wraparounds have been around longer than I am old. And that's saying something...

In all humour(s),
    -- k > [​IMG]

------------------
    The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvellously.
    -- Henry Kissinger

16. saber dude

saber dude Rookie

OK OK OK

Truth be known I dont realy care one way or anothear about which blade you use, [​IMG] but epee is my least favelrite

17. scarlet_woman156k

scarlet_woman156k Rookie

Sabre Dude,

Just remember this: You started the conversation, be prepared for the very evident backlash.

18. John

John Rookie

Ok saber dude...
    "No ROW in epee?"
    I know... [​IMG] ain't it great. You can't hide behind a poorly conceived attack/ or sloppy technique buy just "starting the action first"

"...the first one who lunges will win"
    Oh wow...You have missed the obvious point (pun intended) If an epeeist lunges, that is because they see or have worked their opponent into a position that they have the advantage and can lunge and hit (with little danger of being hit) Just being the first is never enough! If the lunger is out of distance, attacks too slow, has bad hand/bell position, or attack to a closed line they are so dead!

and finally..."worst u can get is a simo"

In the words of my instructor "Doubles is not good fencing..." If you go for doubles you might win against less exp. fencers, but the higher ups will eat you alive.

ps np saber dude no offense taken...in fact I enjoy saber even though I am really bad at it. Well, I enjoy it against someone that isn't out for blood that is....

19. tsalyards

tsalyards Rookie

Please allow a foil fencer to interject into this ridiculous epee vs. saber discussion:

First off, as far as I'm concerned epee and foil are the only weapons even worth fencing in the United States. I've witnessed the worst, horse-sh*t sabre fencing in this country. After having scene very good Hungarians and the like go at it in Europe, I can't even watch a Yank with a saber, it's too damn sad.

I used to get forced into fencing sabre at collegiate champs every year because we needed the sabre points to boost our school's overall point total. So, the awkward foil fencer would wander onto the strip and KICK EVERYONE'S BUTTS. Three years in a row I WON sabre at collegiate champs and I don't even fence sabre. It was sad. These guys were the definition of slow. Right of way never even came into play, all I had to do was flick them on the wrist while back peddling. Now don't get me wrong, these guys were barely even fencers, let alone sabre fencers.

So, as a loyalist to foil and a friend to all epeeists, let me vote one against sabre; the worst excuse for fencing in the United States.

-Tad

20. scarlet_woman156k

scarlet_woman156k Rookie

That was BRUTAL Tad.

I loved it. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.