Wireless Reels USFA Approved?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jdude97, May 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

2. Mergs

Mergs Podium

3. Mergs

Mergs Podium

I contacted a committee member about this. The answer was that since the committee has no policy regarding the legality of scoring machines, they say that wireless systems also fall in that category.

So to answer the original question, yes, they can use the wireless system and still be legal.

4. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Are there any minimum requirements? I'm pretty sure dry competitions can't be USFA approved.

5. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

I wouldn't bet on that, given how recently dry competitions were routinely approved by the USFA.

6. Mergs

Mergs Podium

My understanding is that if appears to work correctly, it basically is OK to use. There is no mechanism within the US to test any equipment, beyond what is checked routinely at NACs, etc, to ensure compliance.

K O'N likes this.
  7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Considering the janky ancient boxes and reels I've had to fence on in competitions I'd be upset if US Fencing suddenly were to put up barriers to wireless.

8. Privateer

Privateer Podium

Does the USFA approve certain reels over others at 'wired' tournaments? how is this different?

9. dberke

dberke Podium

The Operations Manual addresses this, although it is in a somewhat roundabout way:

According to the above, sanctioned local competitions should have scoring apparatus, which implies dry fencing is not sanctioned. Then there is this in the section about announcing competitions:

This seems to imply that you could fence novice competitions dry since "novice" competitions can be sanctioned.

Finally, there is this:
    So basically, if you want your novice E1 competition to award a classification, it needs to be fenced electric.

The rules also specify that all competitions are fenced electric (and there is no "USFA note" stating otherwise):
    So, given all of the above, I think it's safe to say that all competitions of consequence must be fenced electric.

Dan

InFerrumVeritas, jdude97 and Strytllr like this.
  10. Mergs

Mergs Podium

No, they don't. It's different because it's the single most radical thing to come along since the saber captuer, and folks are unsure about it. I will say that I am very surprised that the system has made it as far as it has in the acceptance process for the FIE. Somehow they have avoided the automatic NIH* rejection.

*Not invented here

Privateer likes this.
  11. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Perhaps it's an indication of just how interested the FIE is in an alternative to the existing wireless system.

Either that or someone with good connections is looking out for them. I remember hearing stories about the hurdles that were thrown up in front of Fencing Technologies when they first introduced their SG scoring machines, some even coming at FIE events for which the machines had already been approved.

Privateer likes this.
  12. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

That hits the nail on the head.

Privateer likes this.
  13. Privateer

Privateer Podium

it is not uncommon in the homologation process for SEMI to quote rules that dont exist, or enforce technical specifications that are not documented anywhere.