Wireless Reel replacement system

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Joe biebel, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

Here is a link to the system I always hoped someone would create. Finally a completely working reel replacement system that works with all current scoring machines for all three weapons.

This system, out of Australia, has been demoed by a club in Southern California and is likely to be shown at the Richmond NAC next month.

It would sure go well with the new "Storm-Trooper" system from MSFA, just sayin.

NKFA likes this.
  2. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

At the price-point they are selling this system for, I can't imagine anyone buying reels ever again.
    Bye bye reels.

I really hope the USFA can use these systems. I can picture setup (using all battery systems, VSM, 12V televisions) no power or floor cables. No reel maintenance, connecting cords. I hope we can lead the way with this tech due to the ingenuity of our friends in Australia.

3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

The price I recall reading was $800 for the wireless reels. I think that was their intro price, and it is expected to go up.
    The least expensive reels from AF are the Favero pizza-box Millennium for $365. The price is close, but if the wireless goes up, wired reels are still cheaper (including floor cords - $50).

There is the space savings with the wireless, but as a coach pointed out, risk of someone walking off with the fencer-end.

4. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

I think the individual suggested retail price was, at least temporarily, set at $850.00 I believe there is an early adopter price also.
    All very true. The price I heard (suggested retail) was $850.00. I believe there may be an early adopter price as well. Still; looking at the big picture, whether you have "dedicated" facility, or set up and take down like a tournament often is, I believe the from a monetary aspect you come out well ahead with the wireless offering. Getting rid of reels and cables is a huge deal. Having a system with an overall weight of just over a pound with a fraction of the setup and possibly no upkeep/maintenance costs puts the ball squarely in the court of the wireless system. Also, what makes you think the cost of reels won't go up as well. I strongly suspect that this system will become so popular that the makers will be able to do something on pricing because of economy of scale. When that happens the number of reels being sold will plummet, likely causing an increase in price. We'll see. I would love to see the fencer end be available for purchase by individuals that could have all of the fencers info and data on it for display, like on a VSM system. I've always wanted a red firetruck too, but I'm not holding my breath for either

5. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

It looks slick too! Shouts out to Aussies for making this bad boy! Oi! Oi! Oi!

6. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

Early adopter price is $650, for the first 100 units. Limit one per club to make sure they get disseminated as widely as possible.

I personally think that we'll all eventually all own our own pocket boxes because one of the inherent capabilities is that the box in your back pocket can have a code in it that identifies you uniquely. So you walk up to a smart scoring machine and "touch-on" (that's what it called when you pair up to the central relay-box) and your picture will pop onto the screen.

If we own our own pocket boxes that distributes the cost between clubs and individuals and solves the problem of them walking out the door. They are also thinking about making a cheaper 1-weapon-only pocket box.

At my club we have 9 electric strips (All VSM) with overhead cables. I fix one or two connectors a week, and replace an overhead cable once a month or so. I'm ok with not doing that any more. Even if my club has to pony up the bucks to add a relay-box to each strip. We'll get enough of the pocket-boxes to be able to provide loaners (or maybe rentals) to members that don't have their own (with some security like a cell phone, car keys, credit card, or the like to make sure it comes back.) But ultimately I think people will have their own. I'm hoping clubs will be able to sell them at a slight profit if we can get them with a discount in quantities of 10 or so. But that's just my idea, time will tell.

My club is looking at starting another location about an hour down the road, we are planning it to be all wireless.

Privateer and Grey Sabreur like this.
  7. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I'm not a luddite, honest.
    I can see in the future you need to show-up to an event with two working wireless systems, or have some type of deposit with the club / BC. This is in case you fall and break yours, or if the battery dies mid-event / -bout. Clubs may not have an infinite number of fencer packs to use, so it'll encourage people to arrive early, or reserve them ahead of time. If there isn't a defined wireless standard, you'll have loyalty to a club with your pack.
    I like the LP system I picked up. I'm able to set it up and tear it down in a matter of moments. The Univ takes a minimum of 5 minutes to pull in the cords, pile-up the reels, etc. The wireless is turn everything off, put it in the case, drop in my bag. That should hold for nearly any wireless system.
    The benefits are there, so are the challenges.

Privateer likes this.
  8. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I'm getting one. I think they sound great.

Wow, that's an order of magnitude more than I do. Are people letting them fly a lot, or something? On four strips in pretty steady use I rework a connector three or four times a year, and I haven't replaced a cable in ten years. Even the first instrument cables I got with two connectors and using an anti-static 'drain' for C are still working fine.

I'm not arguing against wireless, but bungee reels are still going to be cheaper for a long time. Now compared to reels, I think wireless will be cheaper in a very short period. The cheapest you can get a set of reels right now is about $700, I think, and another $50 or so for floor cords. I expect with two competitors the price of wireless will beat that in no time.

I would too. If they work as well as I've heard it's a revolution.

schlager7 and Privateer like this.
  9. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

Our kids are not kind to the cables. I see them straining to reach something in a bag that's just out of reach without unhooking all the time. And the occasional flying cable.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  10. Jacknappier

Jacknappier Rookie

This system works great. I have been fencing saber on it, and it really gives that awesome swashbuckling feel.

NKFA likes this.
  11. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Having evaluated the LP system, I am anxious to get my hands on this one. While it appears to be a great system for clubs, especially the itinerate ones - clubs that have no fixed location, or that do a lot of satellite classes, I think that the whole ideas has a way to go before it is adopted for international, national or regional tournaments. Yes, the set up time would be greatly reduced, but the bulk of set up is in putting down strips, not setting up machines. And until recently the majority of strip calls has been for grounding problems, not so much reel/floorcords, so I'm not seeing a great potential for improvement there. Will it make bouts go more quickly? Most likely, but not significantly. Now integrating it with scoring machines and remotes that are linked to the BC to get results processed more quickly, that is - for me - a game changer.

Privateer likes this.
  12. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Oh, good, another $1000 to fence. As if our kit is not expensive enough already.

13. Privateer

Privateer Podium

honest question because I don't remember what we did with reels in anaheim, how many (if any) shipping crates does it take for reels?

14. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Normally all the reels are in one crate all by themselves.

15. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Murietta, right? Ken Wheeler will be running it?

16. Privateer

Privateer Podium

i know a guy who can do that.

JS Hart likes this.
  17. jkormann

jkormann Podium

If we're drifting into a 'how to improve and make events go faster' thread, I'm still voting for simplifying the weapon-check process. How much time would be gained by not having to do weights and shims each bout.

18. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

That's the plan.

19. Privateer

Privateer Podium

so as a part of the whole, i'm sure one crate is not a huge savings. But eliminating a crate and replacing it with a rolling suitcase would realize some savings over the course of the season.

20. mfp

mfp Podium

How exactly would it [wireless] likely make bouts go more quickly?

Dealing with any walk-offs of the wireless fencer-worn boxes, fiddling with pairing, checking/fiddling with proper placement on the fencer, dealing with units that need recharging or batteries replaced, etc all look like potential time sinks. What about wireless would speed up the actual bouts?