Will you watch Olympic fencing on TV?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Phrogger, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Are you going to watch Olympic fencing on TV?

1. Yes, I'll be having friends over to watch.

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Yes, but I'll probably watch alone or just with family.

49 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. No, I can't or don't care.

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Other (post reason below).

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Phrogger

Phrogger Rookie

I just wanted to make sure everybody saw this. I'm planning to have some friends over to watch the women's individual sabre and grill out, since it falls during a reasonable time-slot. Anyone else planning a fencing-watching event?

*I think it's probable this date is actually the 9th of August since that's what the official schedule reflects. Tim Morehouse also reports that there will be a spot on him during NBC Olympic coverage on August 9, "the same day as women's sabre."
    -----------------
    Visit my fencing webcomic and blog! "Not just blogging about boring personal stuff" since May 2008!!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. fatfencer

fatfencer Podium

The poll is of course

flawed.

Ironically because you have no choice at all. If you don't watch I'll sit on you.

Fatfencer

3. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I won't be watching on TV here. That's b/c I'll be over there. :blah:

Received my credential yesterday, which serves as my visa as well.

Craig

4. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

No, because I'm at work. I don't have the time to take off. Also, I don't have cable at home. I'll watch it online.

5. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

I will watch it both times.

6. whiteandbluefencer

whiteandbluefencer Rookie

I'll be back at college, because I have to go back early for a leadership conference. I won't be bringing a TV back with me for my dorm, but I have a key to my sorority's suite. I'll watch it in there on a plasma TV, and it has window unit (most of campus doesn't have AC)! No one will be able to bother me!!!!

7. rustica

rustica Made the Cut

:cry::cry::cry:

Can't watch, really really want to. Will be on the road w/o TV.
    I feel a little bad about the choice of can't/don't care. I do care.

8. Phrogger

Phrogger Rookie

Sorry, It's meant to be "I can't OR I don't care." Didn't feel I needed two "no" choices here.

9. journalmom

journalmom Rookie

Is the schedule Eastern Standard Times?

10. Phrogger

Phrogger Rookie

Not sure about the times, I found a press release that has different dates from what was previously posted: August 9th, 14th, and 17th. This could be due to the time difference from China but I'm not sure. The school (Stevens) that issued the press release is on the east coast.

11. lemon__fresh

lemon__fresh Rookie

i dont think i get those channels where i live :(

hopefully there will be lots of internet coverage :)

12. HDG

HDG Podium

A little coverage of the other weapons would be nice. Maybe in 2012.

13. fencingfrog

fencingfrog Rookie

:eek: they're only doing sabre?! no foil or epee?!

14. epeemike81

epeemike81 Rookie

Coverage follows success.

If Seth (currently 5th in the world) or somebody in the other weapons comes home with a medal, I guarantee they'll get coverage next time.

-m

15. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

They might even replay it at 2am on USA.

16. ChivNick

ChivNick Rookie

ugh why does Television suck?

The Olympics are a major event that comes every 4 years(4 years for the summer, 4 years for the winter) but who really watches the Winter events anyways? :p It's a real shame they don't show all of the fencing events because like the Athens Olympics we as viewers pretty much missed out on Mariel Zagunis' underdog win for the Gold, and many other (I assume) amazing matches, whether they were involving Americans or not. I'll be watching the fencing events with my girlfriend and maybe a few other fencers but I'm still going to be a bit upset there won't be more than the flashy stuff(sorry I feel like I'm insulting sabre here) I used to fence sabre and now I fence primarily epee and occasionally foil and I see that sabre is a much more flashy weapon, with all the slashing and speed to it it's a much more entertaining sight to spectate...BUT EPEE AND FOIL NEED SOME LOVIN' TOO! lol So yea lets hope that in 2012 Fencing as a whole is much more televised, and what would be ideal is televising not only that but other fencing events like the major events within the United States and/or the Global events. I'd love to watch fencing on T.V. than to buy an over priced DVD from Zcarnik (for those of you from the midwest you know who that is)

17. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

Epee and foil need some more success at the Senior level, first.

18. schlager7

schlager7 DE Bracket

What really sucks is that for the 18 months ending last January, my wife and I were a "Nielsen Family" with the box recording what we watched for ratings purposes.

Was there ANY competitive fencing on any of the 200+ satellite channels I get during that timeframe?

Of course not! I even get CSTV and nada... or, at least, nothing ever announced.

19. darius

darius Podium

The U of Rochester team piled into a BW3 and got them to change their big screen to ... Bravo, was it? ... to watch the Nemcsik / Montano bout in MS.

I also distinctly recall watching the Athens gold medal match with Mariel on a broadcast channel.

Not to say that fencing isn't underrepresented, just that some paltry coverage did exist.

darius

20. thereom4

thereom4 Rookie

I so want to boycott the Olympics this year and for obvious reasons. I love how this country will turn its head while a country like China engages in human rights abuses but charges into Iraq for WMDs and then oops Iraqi freedom. I love it. (Outta order :rolleyes:) But yeah I'll be watching if not only to support the Americans that made it onto the US team. I was determined not to, but it's the Olympics. China get it together.