Will this hurt fencing suppliers?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by jkormann, Jun 21, 2018.

1. jkormann

jkormann Podium

2. dcchew

dcchew Podium

If you need a new blade, you're probably going to buy it regardless if there's a sales tax or not. It's a loophole in the system that just going away.

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I will affect the big guys like Post, BG, etc.

Someone small like me....probably not. I don't have enough sales and rarely do biz outside of California anyway.

4. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I have no issue with paying the appropriate sales tax.

Privateer likes this.
  5. mfp

mfp Podium

It could help some US vendors, hurt others. But it will take time for them to figure out which.

While vendors should know the amount of sales they've made and shipped to other states without collecting sales taxes, they don't know the amount of those that were made because people were seeking to save on taxes.

Nor do vendors know the amount of sales they've missed out on from in-state customers who've bypassed buying from them because of the taxes.

Buying fencing gear from overseas vs from US suppliers has already been cost-efficient for some items. (e.g. the savings can easily be $100+ on a single FIE jacket). This tax change could tilt things even more that way.

6. CrownOfCanada

CrownOfCanada Rookie

If you want to put the effort in, and look hard enough you can buy what you want without subject to the tax.. I bought specialized equipment from Finland...and instead of paying the insane tariff's on it directly to Canada, had it shipped to a buddy in Wales...who repackaged it and mailed me a "gift." I saved hundreds.

This court decision is only as good as it's enforcement.....

7. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

[mfp:

From your comment below, are you tell us vendor's that we need to stop stocking FIE uniforms? This would mean that when you want to try one on, you would have to ship back and forth overseas to figure out your size - fit, or if you needed one right away, pay huge fees in shipping or just have to wait for it. I am confused?? Yes, we make a profit, yes, we pay huge import fees to bring them into the USA. Yes, we have a ton of funds tied up in inventory for sales. Now for those that say: I bought one and they did not charge me a fee, yes, for one jacket, they (customs) "sometimes" do not, but that person does not have a EIN import number, or tariff codes to worry about and on and on. I am curious which is better?? Support local vendors knowing that they make a profit on FIE uniforms and other equipment, but know it its right there for you, or save money and care less if you have vendor's here in the USA or not? Just curious??

Now for the tax issue, I have no clue what is about to happen. I have asked the accountant and they don't know what to do yet either.
    I am sure that if it is passed and "enforced", we will have to build tax tables in a website module that will have to be updated monthly for every single county in the USA based on the shipping address (things change without notice), yes, we will have to also pay a service to distribute the collected funds to all the different counties - just more services with a fee that is all about that extra $100 you mention below that you do not have to work with when you order the same products that are offered here in the USA.

mfp: not picking on you, just the statement that was made makes me ask: I have a ton of money tied up in inventory to offer products to our family of fencer's, like a huge amount. When I see folks talking about going directly to mfg's overseas, I have to ask: OK, do I either enforce my agreement with the mfg's I do business with and be an a$$ with them and enforce them not selling to the USA or just sell out of current inventory and just not offer it going forward? Who would benefit and who would suffer kind of thing? It's just another side of the coin to the statement.

Gary Spruill
    Sword Masters