Wikipedia article

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by K O'N, Jan 4, 2018.

1. K O'N

K O'N Podium

The wiki article on fencing grips was driving me mad, so I uploaded some pictures of actual pistol grips (as opposed to the jewelry or whatever it was they had pictures of) and made the text marginally less insane. It's here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grip_(sport_fencing)

Sadly, as you can see, the formatting is all buggered and the images got flipped, somehow. I'm not a wiki editor usually, so I'm not expert in fixing the formatting, but if any of you know what you're doing I'd greatly appreciate it if you could go in and fix some of my mess; I don't have any more time to spend on it today.

ETA: Ok, I already requested rotations on all the pictures, so don't do that. They should be correctly oriented in a day or two. But any tweaking of how the text is displayed or improvement of the layout is most welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

I suppose adding references to the Prat grip for sabre would make the article more accurate but less practically useful.

B

3. K O'N

K O'N Podium

You're welcome to do so if you have some sources. I was vaguely aware there was a kind of pistol grip thing for saber but I wouldn't know what to say about it or where to cite it from. If you're going to put something in I think it's important not to overrepresent weirdo grips, so maybe note how many top fencers use it (none, I think, right?).

Gav likes this.
  4. ShortFoot

ShortFoot DE Bracket

I seem to recall that those were pictures of real, historical grips, on display at a fencing museum in somewhere in Europe. Spain? I agree they weren't so useful as illustration for that Wiki article.

5. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I could see the value in an accurate "History of Fencing" article on the wiki. However, I don't see that as being likely to be particularly accurate. Even most of the written sources are full of misremembered and misquoted "facts."

But that should be distinct and separate from an article describing the sport as it currently exists.

6. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

This used to be fairly popular. Allstar called it a crosse grip. Uhlmann now calls it a Belgian, which it isn't. I think it used to be called a German Visconti.
    [​IMG]