Why do you fence?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Craig, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

2. larkascending

larkascending Rookie

I can't not fence. I forgot how.

3. posineg

posineg Made the Cut

The exercise and its fun… I like to keep it simple.

4. jkormann

jkormann Podium

The same as posineg.

Plus, hitting people with metal sticks would otherwise get me arrested.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

This!

6. abouttothunder

abouttothunder Made the Cut

Because fencing.

Oh, wait, that's a reflexive answer in both senses. I should try again.

Because why should my kid have all the fun? (original reason)
    Exercise, stress management (the net gain on this one may be negligible), interesting people. Fencing is the one place/thing where I get to be me. I'm not responsible for someone else (excepting the nights my kid is there, but I consider her the coaches' problem until class is over), and I'm not defined by family roles.

And because I get to hit people with metal sticks.

7. jeremyb215

jeremyb215 Rookie

I fence because "the fencer in action is a free man."
    I fence for the challange, both mental and psychial. For learning how to do something new. To improve myself.
    I fence because it turns out I'm a competitive person.

Over the past 3 almost 4 years, fencing has become my social life too. I've developed a lot of true friendships through this sport.

And yeah. Hitting people with metal sticks is a blast.

8. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

I fence because that is the only legal way to stab people and get away with it. And it is a lot of fun!! I stab people for fun (and sometimes money).

9. CrestonB

CrestonB Podium

'cause chicks dig scars. Actually, I am just competitive and it seems I have finally found a sport that I am pretty good at.

10. orangeandblue

orangeandblue Made the Cut

I started because I've wanted to fence since I was 5 years old and finally got the chance as an adult. Now, I can't stop. I think I have an addiction. Think about it all the time. I consistently choose fencing over happy hour and once or twice over going on a date. I've got it bad.

11. foibles

foibles Podium

A few years ago I was dinking about the various baycups... not doing all that well. I was frustrated because "back in the day" I was kinda a big duck in a minuscule pond. And while I knew intellectually it was a small pond, I still had a history of success which was emotionally still quite satisfying. It's easy to think that your ducks are as good as any others even if there aren't as many... but the fact is that I just couldn't win against the Baycup A's or the stronger B's. I was hittin' the gym. Taking lessons. Reading books. My knees would swell after a hard night of practice. I got tennis elbow. I'd get all crabby at tourneys. Angry. Despondent. One day Johnathan Sweet came out and asked me... "Do you like this? Tournaments, I mean." Yeah. It was a few days before I could admit to myself the answer was actually no.

But I do like coaching.
    Thinking about it. Learning about it. Watching kids improve. Providing a good place where kids can work hard and yet be social. I find coaching very logic based, and yet extremely creative.
    I also find I like running clubs. The business end. Gear upkeep. Books. Email. Billing. Helping parents with their first gear purchases. It's satisfying to know that I work hard doing something I truly enjoy... and make a living doing so. Not an opulent one... but decent.

I drive 11 hours a week to teach 26 hours of fencing at 4 different locations... and I'm currently negotiating a 5th location to begin sometime this summer. This does not include extras such as the upcoming Mayfaire at the local Waldorf school, or the 5 day summer camp at the local Lutheran church in August... or whatever tourney I set up and run... or the day we went to the roller rink, or the the time I made a 34" tall pinata of a fencer, and they beat the tar out've it only to find I'd filled it with strange and confusing Mexican hard candies.

I teach classes at a University now. 1 hour twice a week of Epee, Foil, then Sabre. Teaching an hour of 1 weapon, then a second, then a third... over the course of a quarter makes for a really interesting study in compare/ contrast between the weapons. I'm learning from it. It pushes me as a coach.

"Why do you fence"? I don't really. I do not compete. Occasionally I free fence... but there's always a class to run or a lesson to give. That coaching thing though. I'm liking that quite a bit.

jkormann likes this.
  12. esgrima

esgrima Made the Cut

To prove that ROW (saber) is stupid! :)

13. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I cannot do otherwise. It's who I am.

14. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Ego sum, ego sepem

Seems like we've been down this road before but: Introduced by a family comprising a former Navy coach, an NCAA champ and twins - one of which WC'd, after my father forbade me to play football. I was my class' smallest, so it was satisfying to athletically compete - let alone win. Over the years my participation motivations have changed, including a means to quickly integrating into new communities to giving back as coach and ref. Now it's largely for the exercise and the *very* satisfying beating teen- and collegians - *especially* those with attitude. I'm also reprising the role model that an older high school coach who competed was for me.

15. damianip

damianip Podium

Landing a flick counterattack to the hand.

That's all....

16. fencerken

fencerken Made the Cut

I fence because my mother took me to see shogun assassin in the theaters when I was 4 because I begged her to take me to see a sword fighting movie. I fence because out of all the other sports I tried, when a blade was put in my hand it as natural as walking. I fence because to me fencing is life.

17. griffindm

griffindm DE Bracket

Because the sport has given so much to me, that I feel compelled to give back, through teaching, promotion and support. That and hitting people with metal sticks is really cool too.