Whoopsiedaisy

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Question, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Question

Question Rookie

Hey, so I was sick of my club epeeists not noticing when their barrels were getting loose so I put some old loctite green on 3 fully assembled club epees. I forgot it was just a drop you are supposed to use now the tips don't want to move and the screws are stuck. Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to salvage as much as possibl? I have a big metal acetone tube and acetone plus a heatgun.

2. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

A vice and wrench usually work for me when I use red loctite. Otherwise a heat gun is your best bet.

3. neevel

neevel Armorer

A soldering iron is probably the best tool, since you can put heat on just the lower portion of the barrel (i.e., the tightening flats) and hopefully heat the Loctite just enough to loosen the barrel without melting the plastic wire contact so badly that it can't be removed. Did you use green Loctite on the tip screws as well or are they just rusted into place?

4. Question

Question Rookie

I put the runny green loctite in at the base of the barrel then stuck them point down and gravity did the rest.

5. neevel

neevel Armorer

Unfortunate. With patient and judicious application of a fine-tipped soldering iron you might be able to get the screws out, but I wouldn't count on it and you would likely damage the plastic insulating sleeve in the tip. If you value your time as I do mine, I would declare victory upon getting the complete points off and re-wire with new points.

6. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

I would lay the weapon on its side, take out the screws and fill the channel on one side with lacquer thinner, let it soak in, flip it over and do the other side and then and wiggle and pry the tip till it came loose.
    I would keep the weapon horizontal because the lacquer thinner could be rough on the cup and having the barrel level might keep most of the solvent around the tip and barrel where it is frozen by the Loctite.
    Of course, the tip might get damaged as well, but I would be trying to get the tip out and avoid a rewire.

7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Soak it in a tube of acetone for a week. It takes time for it to get into the threads, but it will dissolve the locktite eventually.