Who would support a change to the USFA classification table?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by malediction, Nov 18, 2018.

1. K O'N

K O'N Podium

One could experiment with ratings degrading faster than they do, but my intuition is that dropping a letter rating in a year would lead to less accurate ratings, not more. If an A takes a year or two off, I bet they're more accurately seeded at the bottom of the A ranks, rather than as a C.

Diosluv likes this.
  2. Privateer

Privateer Podium

some countries, in my understanding, use a 12-month rolling points number. every sanctioned event grants X amount of points per finishing position. your points continuously accumulate and drop off as you fence (or not). I'm kind of curious to see the participation rate for fencers in those countries compared to a high-water-mark rating system.

3. mfp

mfp Podium

You've basically described the US rolling points systems already used for seeding many types of events.

4. Privateer

Privateer Podium

not all of us fence in point events.

5. mfp

mfp Podium

True, but the 114 (!) or so rolling points lists the national office currently maintains likely covers a large number of the competive fencers in the US.

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Who do we empower to make this subjective decision? The fencer? Her parents? Her coach? A tribunal of coaches? A star chamber of referees? It strikes me as a very bad system to let anyone do this based on a personal judgement, or even an average of several personal judgements.

Diosluv likes this.
  7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

They may, but since they're not typically used for seeding they're not much paid attention to.

Privateer likes this.
  8. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Ratings seem to me to degrade at a pretty appropriate pace. I think people focus too much on what fencers "deserve", which leads to moral judgements about what rating someone "should" be, based on some perceived level of effort or something.

I don't compete much any more, and my B has degraded to a C, and in truth I'd probably have to practice and work a bit to earn a C right now, if I wanted to do so. So that seems about right to me. I think a few years to fall a letter seems about right. With all the stuff that's wrong in the world, the rate of US Fencing ratings degrading doesn't seem like it's high on the list of things that need a lot of examination or tweaking.

Diosluv and Inquartata like this.
  9. Lefty Belgian

Lefty Belgian DE Bracket

With all the stuff that's wrong in the world, USA Fencing as a whole doesn't seem like it's high on the list of things that need a lot of examination. It's all just machinating, hypothesizing, criticizing, and bonding over a pretty marginal past time we all just happen to love.

Diosluv likes this.
  10. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

Isn't that how referee ratings are awarded?

Strytllr likes this.
  11. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I can't tell if this is an argument for or against.

12. Diosluv

Diosluv Rookie

I get what you’re saying, but I disagree slightly. I think the fact her rating didn’t renew is an indication she didn’t fence at her historical level. I just don’t feel there is anything flukey about the current rating system. These ratings have to be earned and sustained in competition.

13. Lefty Belgian

Lefty Belgian DE Bracket

Yes, but the 'penalty' for not fencing at one's historical ratings level is to not advance a year. I think this is getting off pretty easily considering, by your own estimation, that your daughter was not fencing at an "A" level, but rather at a "B" level. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter and this would not be an area I would target if I was even prepared to prioritize amending the current ratings system. Your daughter is probably typical of high-competitive fencers who may have an off year, e.g., adjusting to college and NCAA fencing, but rebounds as she continues to compete and to work hard. Those who continue to fall in terms of skill set see their ratings fall and are probably on their way out of serious competitive fencing anyway.

14. Diosluv

Diosluv Rookie

Yes, great observations. I think we’re pretty much in agreement. The very slight difference is you would like to see stiffer standards in terms of annual renewal of classification. I feel the current system accurately reflects a fencers level. When my daughter had the down year by her standards it still would’ve been rare for her to lose to a fencer ranked lower than A. So, the current system showed she wasn’t fencing at the same level of the A fencers that renewed that year, yet accurately depicted her level IMO.