Who is your favourite "current" french grip epeeist?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Gav, Jan 19, 2016.

1. piste off

piste off Podium

Ahhh, no.

2. piste off

piste off Podium

The original question was about current (active) and not well-known french grippers. But we did get sidetracked and that is fun.

As far as famous retired...

Srecki - probably the best of all time (french grip)
    Milanoli - arguably the most entertaining
    Mazzoni - most consistent of his time, but Mr. Choke (won 5 world cups annual points but never a Olympic medal or World Championship)
    P. Boisse - Similar to Fabrice in that he was kicking people's ass even after retirement
    Riboud - a legend.

damianip and DangerMouse like this.
  3. damianip

damianip Podium

I would like to mention another "interesting" french grip epeeist: Meelis Loit.

I wish there was some YouTube footage of him out there. I'll have to rifle through some of my FencingFootage tapes to see if I have anything.

Concerning Fabrice Jeannet:

I think that Fabrice Jeannet was great, but he had a habit of choking at odd times as well.

Here's Fabrice collapsing to Ivan Kovacs (one of my favorites) at a WC in Barcelona..

Here's Fabrice collapsing to Matteo Tagliariol at the Beijing games.

Gav likes this.
  4. KatonRyu

KatonRyu Made the Cut

I feel kind of bad for saying it after you mentioned you wanted unknown fencers, but quite honestly the French epeeists of this day are all among my favorites. For a lesser known one I really enjoy Romain 'Loose' Cannone, but I do consider Grumier to be the best at it, followed closely by Robeiri.

5. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

Yeah me too. The thing is, it's just obvious to me. If want to trot out the "usual suspects" that's really easy for me to do! It's also probably a little boring. I'm trying to get the kids excited that it's not just about certain big players and that thre's plenty of places to draw inspiration from.

6. KatonRyu

KatonRyu Made the Cut

One name that I did just recall is a fencer from Venezuela, David (not sure about the first name) Orozco, who has a pretty unique way of fencing French grip. He pommels while at distance, but he regularly shifts his hand to be closer inside the guard so he can make forceful parries in closer combat. I've fenced him a couple of times here in the Netherlands, but I don't think I've ever seen him at major competitions. Still, I was told he was pretty highly ranked there so locating a video of him should be possible. YouTube mostly gives other Orozco's though.

7. damianip

damianip Podium

There's an Italian fencer, Simone Esposito, who uses the French grip similarly. One doesn't see a lot of him on the international circuit (yet) as it's pretty hard to crack the current Italian squad.

However, there is a video of him at Porec in 2013 when he was fencing on the Italian junior team.

The action starts at about 1:16:00

Gav likes this.
  8. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Esposito's first bout starts at 1:24. Good movement, interesting shift up to a parrying grip. Good fencing, thanks for the link.

9. KatonRyu

KatonRyu Made the Cut

Really nice video, and cool to see other fencers use that style as well. I'm also truly impressed by his form.

10. damianip

damianip Podium

I like the way this kid fences. He's pretty young so we may get to see more of him yet.

11. av455

av455 Made the Cut

For studying video - my favorite was Jean-Michel Henry (4 Olympic medals including team gold and individual bronze).
    In college I was working desperately to make it to the NCAA National Championships before I graduated. I started at 18 while everyone else who was a contender started way before. So I worked like a dog for 4 years and had a very very simple French grip game that was modeled almost entirely from one scratchy VHS video tape. The 1988 Men's Team Epee event in which three of the most of the guys already mentioned (Srecki and Riboud) and Henry.

No fancy parry game. Just perfection in stop touches, straight touches, and basic disengage hit (tease the pistol grip fencer with your tip by then slide off and hit). Of course to pull these off you need to be good on your feet and develop a sense of timing.

I highly recommend studying him for new fencers with a French grip.

damianip and K O'N like this.
  12. swordsman2321

swordsman2321 Made the Cut

lol rob rhea.

no one will ever be able to fence like rob, i wouldn't recommend modeling yourself after him.
    rob's greatest weapon was always surprise and intimidation

theres a reason we call him batman