Who is your favourite "current" french grip epeeist?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Gav, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

I am just asking around (it's a slow news day here) about which, currently active, epeeist is your favourite. And why?

I'm trying to put together a list of for reference to a kid I am coaching with at the moment and I am wondering if anyone will recommend any who isn't well known (e.g. Grumier).

2. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

I like watching Rob Rhea fence -

Lefty frenchie...
    perhaps a better video

Rob and Gav like this.
  3. piste off

piste off Podium

Romain Cannone (#1 cadet for France a year or two ago). Lives in the US. Does lots of things and is a pleasure to watch.

DangerMouse and Gav like this.
  4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

He is probably my favorite too.

5. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

With a daughter in the sport, I mostly watch WE...and my vote would go to Alliance's VanB's (Barbara VanBenthusysen and Anna Van Brummen). Both have super active footwork, incredibly fast hands, and killer toe touches.

Barbara (FOTR), in a losing effort vs. club mate Gigi Vierheller:

Anna (also FOTR), in OT vs. Princeton team mate Kat Holmes:

6. rg500g

rg500g Made the Cut

I've been trolling youtube a while, trying to figure out what I should be doing with these French gripped epees I have, how to use the weapon, post or not, etc. and Romain Cannone is showing how it's done. I can't manage the femur angle on a number of his maneuvers thanks to a rotting femur ball, but I believe I can take a good number of things I'm seeing to the strip.

7. Dragon Fencer

Dragon Fencer Made the Cut

As far as French grip (per the thread title), there's a ton of footage of Fabrice Jeannet on YouTube to get a firm understanding of the French grip style. He's one of the most consistent French grip fencers so far. He's not current but in his day he would annihilate any of these current guys. As far as current French grip fencers, check out Jinsun Jung, from Korea. He's been very consistent over the years.

8. Gav

Yeah I know. There's also Milanoli (another favourite of mine). I'm trying to avoid the obvious ones and see if there's anyone interesting but relatively unknown (currently fencing) out there.

9. Nicklas

Nicklas Rookie

10. Dragon Fencer

Why currently? Just curious. Is it a matter of learning from them by watching them? Also, from simply learning from them, older guys like Fabrice Jeannet are pretty approachable and easy to contact these days if you want to contact them for advice. I heard of a guy I know skype with Tagliariol recently about tactics and training

11. Gav

I've been in the sport for over 20 years. So I've seen planty of epeeists come and go. So folks like the Jeannets are well known to me. Thought it would be nice to try and broaden it out a little - that's all.

12. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Jin-Sun Jung is my favorite among the men. If you're open to watching women's epee, Shin A-Lam and Yana Shemyakina are both very good. This is a great bout, a preview of the Olympic final several years later:

If you want to go old-school, Riboud in the '84 and '88 Olympic finals was brilliant. Very different style to today's french grippers.

rcdjr likes this.
  13. Degenmeister

Degenmeister Rookie

Yes, Shin and Yana are very good. I also like Nathalie Moellhausen, who is making a comeback fencing for Brazil.

14. wwalkerjr

wwalkerjr Made the Cut

Dragon Fencer- Ironic comment about Fabrice Jeannet. As a matter of fact, in a Team event in June 2015, Fabrice pulled his equipment out of storage and demolished Grumier 5-0 and Robieri 5-0. At the time, Grumier was #1 in the World and Robieri was the reigning World Champion. In August 2015, he hammered everyone at the Northwest Fencing Center International Epee Camp in Portland at the final tournament (Jean Francois DiMartino and Dos Santos). He has been fencing occasionally in Bordeaux at BEC with Sebastien Dos Santos, who is coaching some of the top French epeeists. Yes, he still destroys them under the guise of teaching.

If you want the name of another great "French gripper", Dimartino and Dos Santos and Jeannet all cite Eric Srecki as the guy who took control of the strip to set up his fleche

15. Dragon Fencer

I love to hear that Fabrice Jeannet is still destroying today's fencers, thanks for the news

16. malediction

malediction Made the Cut

Jeannet's FIE record (what's available) is pretty impressive too. He has almost no losses, even demolished (an admittedly aging) Kolobkov 15-4 at one point. He's definitely one of the all time greats.

Do you know which 2015 competition this was? The European Championships (European Zonals) were in June, 2015. But that's the only team event I found on the FIE website. I assume, since you suggest he fenced Grumier and Robieri, that the event was a French team event of some sort, and not an FIE event.

I don't know about that. Sounds like you may be underestimating the best current fencers a bit. Though I do agree Jeannet was one of the most dominant fencers of his competitive period.

17. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I think that the team competition was the 2015 French national championship. I have a link to video somewhere that I'll see if I can dig up.

18. damianip

damianip Podium

Currently? Grumier. No question. He's subtle, versatile.

Back in the day? Milanoli was my favorite. Mazzoni before him. Srecki, because he's Srecki.

Nationally, I love it when Tsinis uses a French.

19. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I found the link, but it appears the video has been taken down :(
    Here's the link in case anyone can dig up an archive or something: http://www.vosgestelevision.tv/video.php?key=NkXaFBe1wO

20. Dragon Fencer

See:
    Fabrice's consistency was virtually unrivaled in his time. He would have been just as consistent if not more consistent in this current epee group (especially without any Kolobkovs to worry about)