who gets the touch in this case:

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by handwarmers123, Jan 10, 2019.

1. handwarmers123

handwarmers123 Rookie

other fencer is: advancing aggressively
    I: extend arm
    other fencer: tries to do a big circle 6 beat
    I: know what parry she's taking, so I disengage it and lunge
    other fencer: lunges as well

so is it my touch? cuz my opponent was searching 4 the blade?

2. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

Sometimes. Sometimes what they're doing looks like a line change and what you're doing looks like you searching. Without video of a specific touch, it's hard to say.

3. keropie

keropie Podium

Like IFV said, what it looks like to the official and what it feels like to you may be different, but:
    If you extend, they search, and you avoid their search and attack while they are still searching, it should be yours. But sometimes you think they're searching, when they are changing lines, sometimes you avoid the search and wait a fraction of a second, they attack and then you go, and sometimes the ref doesn't see it they way you do.

All in all, questions like this are not particularly useful without video.

erik_blank likes this.
  4. neevel

neevel Armorer

Also be aware that any withdrawal of the arm, intentional or unintentional (e.g, an involuntary flinch), will lose priority. In general, trying to 'beat an attack to the punch' with a line is a pretty low-percentage action and not something you should be trying to base a major portion of your game on. Against an opponent's march, throwing a line out (late or not) as a way of triggering the finish of the attack at a time and distance where you can make a parry and riposte will be a much more useful and reliable action.

erik_blank likes this.