Which Jacket should I get?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Pineapple, Nov 21, 2016.

?

Best Jacket?

Poll closed Dec 5, 2016.
  1. 350N PRO NYLON FENCING JACKET (Inspire Fencing)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AF MALE JACKET: STRETCHY W/: BLUE TRIM (Absolute Fencing)

100.0%
  3. AF MALE JACKET: ELITE STRETCH 350N (Absolute Fencing)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pineapple

Pineapple Rookie

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a jacket upgrade from the really uncomfortable cloth jacket I have now.
    I fence Epee.

I was looking at these jackets:
    http://inspirefencing.fencingnewyor...ng-jackets/350n-pro-nylon-fencing-jacket.html
    http://www.absolutefencinggear.com/shopping/product_info.php/products_id/825/cPath/13
    http://www.absolutefencinggear.com/shopping/product_info.php/products_id/1091/cPath/13

But being your residential noob to fencing I'm not really sure what to get. My budget is anything thats less than 90ish dollars.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated!

2. dcchew

dcchew Podium

All of these jackets are similar in construction and material, so there's no material difference between them. The main difference will be in the fit of the jacket to your body shape. If you have the opportunity to try on the jacket before purchasing, do so. If you have friends with these brands of jackets, take a good hard look at them.

I recently bought a new Allstar Startex 800n jacket and knickers. The jacket fit just right in the shoulders but the bottom was like a oversized Hawaiian muumuu. A local seamstress did a great job in altering the back of the jacket to fit much better.

If you buying a jacket, be sure to invest in a good plastron too.

Privateer and Pineapple like this.
  3. EpeeBlue

EpeeBlue Made the Cut

My two cents...
    I don't know about the Inspire item. But I have seen many Absolute nylon jackets and they all seem very nice- good weight of material, good zippers and seams, etc. I love that blue trim, may have to get it when it's time to replace my stuff. I borrowed an Absolute nylon jacket from a buddy once and was surprised at how much thicker it was, compared to my Blade jacket.
    Some of my clubmates have Blue Gauntlet uniforms, also very nice.

One more thing- some may disagree but I noticed a bit less bruise protection when I switched from my old, heavy cotton jacket to a new, lighter stretch model. Just something to consider with epee. And allow me to repeat a previous comment: make sure you get a good plastron. They are required in competition and I am amazed that some guys fence epee without one.

Good luck.

4. Pineapple

Pineapple Rookie

I got the Blue Trim from AF. I also use a standard cotton plastron. Would that be enough?

5. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Depends on your needs.

Almost any cotton uniform and underarm protector will satisfy the minimum requirements for use at USFA sanctioned events. However it would not be satisfy the requirements for international competition (on anyplace else where FIE certified gear is required).

As a general rule, increased cost for fencing uniforms buys you increased protection against serious injury(i.e. puncture wounds) and greater comfort, (both in term of lighter weight and greater stretch). Given the extremely small number of serious injuries which occur in fencing (and at least some of those which have occurred could be attributed to equipment which had improperly been modified) it seems likely that even the lowest level of protection is probably adequate to prevent most serious injuries. However one of the great ironies of fencing equipment is that increased protection against penetration does not necessarily translate into increased protection against bruising - in fact lighter, more flexible fabrics often provide less protection against bruising than heavier, stiffer fabrics (as EpeeBlue noted).

Pineapple likes this.
  6. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

You really shouldn't alter FIE clothing as you are compromising the safety of the garment. The thread used is super expensive monofilament and if they cut this out and replace it with cotton then it will no longer be anywhere close to passing FIE regs. Unless of course they left all of the seams and joins intact and just added in pleats with the material intact and bunched inside to bring it in.

ReadyFence and DangerMouse like this.
  7. EpeeBlue

EpeeBlue Made the Cut

Sounds good to me.

Once I noticed the decreased blunt protection after switching to light, nylon jacket, I tried various underarm protection such as nylon, cotton and even one that was quilted, padded cotton and nylon. I think that last one was from Absolute.

8. Privateer

Privateer Podium

at that price point, the jackets probably come out of the same factory in [insert east asian country.]