Which Grip is Best?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by FortyTwoBlades, May 29, 2004.

?

Which Grip Do You Prefer?

1. French

98 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Belgian

56 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. German

38 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Visconti

164 vote(s)
    34.5%
  5. Schermasport

7 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Spanish

4 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. Rambeau

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  8. Russian

21 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. I fence sabre, stupid!

45 vote(s)
    9.5%
  10. Other

40 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. Josephine25

Josephine25 Rookie

I perfer the french grip as the pistol grip hurts my hand.

2. stealingophelia

stealingophelia Rookie

i think this would have a MUCH greater protest against it then the timings

3. JackOfHearts

JackOfHearts Rookie

Wouldn't affect me too much. I prefer an italian grip. :)

4. the reluctant fencer

the reluctant fencer Rookie

ok so there seems to be a lot of people that like to modify their pistol grips. since they are aluminium that you can GTAW-AC weld I started taking some old grips and cutting them up and making new ones. I took a medium uhlmann visconte and did several things. First was my inspiration from a few grips that I bought out of a random grips box. I used a baby german when I was much younger and I had a lot of power and tip control with it but as I grew the grip was too small so I just went to visconte grips from uhlmann and allstar. I started with a medium visconte which fir the palm of my hand very well and welded an extension onto the tang end to give room for my thumb. I then cut off the painful thumb spike on top and replacedit with a curved one from one of my baby german grips so that it would have more contact with my hand than the regular visconte. I cut off the wrist point right after the m in uhlmann lettering. I addeed another wrist support below the standard wrist support to give extra support. I will post some pics later of my grip. Several Referees have been supportive in my design and thin it is a good idea and I have checked the rule book and there is no reason whyis would be illegal...if anyone wants a custom made grip just send me a pm and I would be glad to help you out and give you an estimate.

5. Angwilwileth

Angwilwileth Rookie

since I am just learning to fence, I have not used anything other then a french grip.:blah:

6. JackOfHearts

JackOfHearts Rookie

Yea, a lot of the newbies at my school start out with the french grip, but those that stick with it tend to move onto pistol grips.

7. gh02t

gh02t Rookie

Zivkovic K grips all the way for epee, they give you so much range of movement and they fit my hand really well. When I do fence foil though, I prefer the Z grips, they give you a bit finer feel that I like for foil.

8. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

The one that fits my hand the best and my pocket book is most times the best grip.

Just a reminder:
    Your first finger and thumb is where the point control is, the rest of the hand is just along for the ride. What ever grip helps you achive this, is most times the best grip for you. If you notice the rest of your hand working out, something is wrong. (old school I guess). I have seen grips that are currently being made to do everything but give you point control. I have no clue why anyone would want them, yet the old saying is true, there is an ass for every seat.

Gary Spruill

JackOfHearts likes this.
  9. GorillaSmile

GorillaSmile Rookie

I'm a newbie and I don't know what's what but I like the visconti and have tried belgian but didn't like that as much.

10. sjpfencer220

sjpfencer220 Rookie

I use a visconti grip, for both foil and epee.

11. bousquet

bousquet Rookie

Zivkovic G grip for epee. Great fit for me.

12. BySword

BySword Rookie

I have been using belgian grip and I feel it has really strict finger placement. it is just about as "alive" compared to other pistol grip. I fence epee btw.

13. Elfen

Elfen Rookie

Pistol Grip (I'll assume its belgium), French/Sabre (since I do both sabre and foil) and Italian. On my weapons of old, I bought the grips closest to the fit I can get, and then modified them with a little sanding and gluing until it was perfect, although this cant be done with an Itailan weapon.

To me the Italian Blade gives the most control, but the way one has to hold it, causes the hand to crap up if the matches become too long. Its a matter of choosing which weapon is the right one for the fight and make the battle as short as possible. La Baile de la Morte should only be as long as it needs to be and that is as short as possible.

14. ctaser1331

ctaser1331 Rookie

I started prety recently but i like the russians. I find they give very controlled movements and can parry very effectivly. They are very precise. Also, with a few mods, the annoying bulge next to the bolt can be rounded and that is very nice:)

15. Cookeit

Cookeit Rookie

I normally use ita. visconti's but have been using a mod-ed, shortened Belgian for a little bit and I like it.

16. Tomas N

Tomas N Podium

This has to get my vote for one of the oddest posts of all time on F.net.

Tomas

17. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Its a personal thing. Find one that you like, and gives you good point control and stick with it.

A grip that works well for fencer A may feel like poop to fencer B.

Find one you like. Dont worry about what others use or like.

Gary Spruill

18. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

*Unless it's an Italian.

Black Jeebus likes this.
  19. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

Then worry a whole lot.

20. glowstix

glowstix DE Bracket

haha, my new favourite grip is the french crosse. looks a lot like the belgian grip but better; good for flicking.