Which Grip is Best?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by FortyTwoBlades, May 29, 2004.

?

Which Grip Do You Prefer?

1. French

98 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Belgian

56 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. German

38 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Visconti

164 vote(s)
    34.5%
  5. Schermasport

7 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Spanish

4 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. Rambeau

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  8. Russian

21 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. I fence sabre, stupid!

45 vote(s)
    9.5%
  10. Other

40 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Rookie

Which grip do you use the most and why? :dunce:

2. aikijohn

aikijohn Rookie

I've ended up using Zivkovic grips; both the Z and K (for epee), after trying a Visconte style (came with my first epee; I had no idea what was what back then), then tried a German grip, but the wrist tang was much too long for me. The Zivlovic grips have more of a palm pad rather than a tang, which I like. I am considering trying a small Belgian and a Dos Santos because I've always liked a certain amount of finger tip control of my weapon as opposed to the "clinch" mode I've experienced with hardcore pistol grips.

Interesting thread...

Cheers...

3. Army Fencer

Army Fencer Rookie

I'll re-post what I said in another thread:

But between pistol grips, the choice really doesn't matter. It's more personal preference than anything.

4. Artisan

Artisan Rookie

The best grip is the one you are using that feels better than any others.

Take two identical castings, shorten one by 1/8" or change the cant on the blade a few degrees and it will feel like a different weapon - so, try different grips until you find one that feels right.

5. Schiavona

Schiavona Rookie

This is so very true! Time away from using a grip can change the feel too.......

I just got back to fencing after 4 years not fencing and the German grips I'd been using since 1981 feel ALL WRONG! Now I have to go through the whole grip selection thing again! :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. The0ne

The0ne Rookie

visconti's the way to go! :)

7. ztron24

ztron24 Rookie

french for epee, visconti for foil

8. whtouche

whtouche Rookie

PBT rubber over aluminum sabre grips.
    Very thin and easily manipulable.

I do have a huge red rubber over plastic miscelaneous brand grip on another one of my sabres that I use if I need more power tho(more close-distance parries etc)

(sabre)

9. ShadowHuntr

ShadowHuntr Rookie

question:

for epee, do you find that the extra distance you get help compensate for the fact that you must beat weaker and expose your hand more to touches?

10. ztron24

ztron24 Rookie

well, that's the trade off. it took me months working with a french to build up enough hand strength not to drop it at every hard beat or bind. it does make your blade weaker. also infighting is more difficult, some of those angles are impossible with a french. but the tradeoofs are some distance, and also i think it helps my point control. with touches, yes, but also quickness in disengages, etc. best way to find out which is best for you is to try...

11. damianip

damianip Podium

Zach,

I find your comment about the French and infighting interesting. I find extreme angulations easier with a French than an ortho. Then again, my infighting is lousy so it wouldn't take much to improve it.

Paolo

12. ztron24

ztron24 Rookie

yeah, a case could be made for that. depends on how you're holding it, i guess. also, i think some angles are easier with french, and some with pistol. my infighting is pretty lousy, too. i have the bad habit of starting to turn my back to finish off the extreme prime...

13. suregrip

suregrip Rookie

I don't know if I'm doing this right, but I discovered quite by accident that if I rotated my hand the minute I contacted my opponents blade and closed in, the French Grip provided a fiercer bind than my pistol grip provided. The length of it provided more stability along the wrist/forearm whereas the pistol offered nothing beyond the palm of the hand.

I'm sort of leery about pommeling though - how would keep from being bound or beat hard when you're vulnerable like that?

14. Army Fencer

Army Fencer Rookie

Wow. A lot more people use German than I ever expected.

15. Mitchell

Mitchell is a Verified Fencing ExpertMitchell hi Staff Member

distance, blade absence, and point mobility to keep opponents from taking blade control.

but then again, i've never done it before, though i'd like to try one time. maybe i'll find someone with a french and let me play :D

16. CarlKnoch

CarlKnoch Rookie

German Short grip. The long ones don't allow me to prime high and flick as they hit me in the wrist and cause issues there.

17. grotto

grotto Rookie

French for epee, with a couple of belgians for fencing a heavy handed opponent or when my timing just sucks.

18. Elemental

Elemental Rookie

I prefer french since I can use more versitally(sp?) than any of the pistol grips.

On a side note: my friend just invented a new grip. He attached his foil blade and guard to a cordless power drill. Ackward to weild but it had push button parries...

19. I_luv_saber

I_luv_saber Podium

My fav is whatever they put on those Santelli specials... leather over something I think. Wish I had one, they're really nice grips.

20. CalFencer

CalFencer Rookie

Go German

I first started with the Italian Visconti, but soon changed over to the German style. I have a small hand, and for some reason, the German feels better. The only problem I have with it is that it cuases friction near my thumb and there is a long tang. I got use to it.