Where to order fencing equipment?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Yannn, May 8, 2017.

1. Yannn

Yannn Made the Cut

Hi,

I'm Canadian. In Montreal, Québec.
    Our main local distributor is Imex Sport. They are apparently the only ones allowed at the local competitions.
    Their stock is limited.

I'd like to know where I can order from and which resellers are interesting.
    I ordered a blade from LP USA recently and got absolutely screwed with the exchange rate and the custom taxes...

So if someone can maybe suggest a Canadian reseller online (other than Allstar equipment) I'd appreciate.

(Please feel free to use this thread to ask where are the best resellers in your corner of the globe. :) )

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Yannn:
    What I am about to tell you is going to come across as sounding a tad funny but read between the lines to understand the meaning.

Resellers here in the USA, we are all friends with each other. We all get together and ask: what can *we* do to help our fencing family. I know this sounds weird, but its the truth. I/we are a reseller here in the US and I work with two newbie reseller's to help them grow. Yes, one reseller helping another.

My suggestion is: call a few, find one that fits you and your style. Build a relationship with them and stick with them. I promise you, they/us will not steer you in the wrong direction. Every vendor/reseller here in the US has your best intent at heart IMO.

Know that, I could say; hey look over here, We are the best, but this not going to happen. We all compete with each other, yet at the end of the day, we all support each other and our fencing family!

I am going to let other's list (us) here in the USA so that I do not forget one and that one gets tee'd off at me.:)

Guys - Gals; list us out for him.

Have fun, hit hard, don't forget to perry!

Gary Spruill

Yannn likes this.
  3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

H.O.M. Fencing Supply in Burbank, CA (I'd be remiss if I didn't list myself!) homfencing.com
    American Fencers in Pacifica, CA http://amfence.com/ (don't think they're back up from the fire, tho)
    Absolute in New Jersey http://www.absolutefencinggear.com/shopping/
    Blue Gauntlet in New Jersey http://www.blue-gauntlet.com/?gclid=CLbVlPC10tICFVVsfgoduNUKRA
    Fencing Post in Escondido, CA http://stores.thefencingpost.com/
    Gladius in Torrance, CA http://www.gladiusfencinggear.com/

These are the ones I normally deal with.

Yannn likes this.
  4. OrangeandStripey

OrangeandStripey Made the Cut

Don't forget Triplette Competition Arms for lames and blades. I think their nickel stainless lame's are fairly bulletproof though perhaps not quite as good as estoc... who doesnt make foil lames anymore apparently.

Also LP England.. I've had ridiculously good luck with them despite a few glitches in customer service others have experienced... for bags and fencing uniforms they are the best. often enough they are cheaper than LP USA even after shipping.

However, I dont discount LPUSA...i order parts from them as they are fast, reliable and awesome.

H.O.M. fencing supply because Sam's body cord parts and gloves are the best. I make all of my body cords from Monster audio cable and Sam's 3 prong ends. They are hurricane, tornado, fire, acid, base, proof and are made from the same Uru metal dwarven smiths used to create Mjolnir.

I'm convinced that an italian bayonet end with sam's 3 prong and monster cable would never fail if it were airtight and not used to lasso cows or something.

speaking of which... does anyone: Sam or Gary mainly, but anyone have (used) 3 italian sockets and bayonets I can ? I'm thinking of swapping out my lp sockets... those springs are just too flimsy and I've had several sockets, mainly the black ones that came out a number of years ago... new old stock since i retired from fencing b4 i could use them... anyways between the bayonet flying out of the socket during heavy fencing and some strange intermittent grounding issues(only the black ones are affected)... I'm thinking of switching to italian bayonet.

Inquartata likes this.
  5. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Bayonet sockets wear out. If you still are using LP reds they're *definitely* worn out. You may also have compatibility problems if you mix vendors.

6. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

There are other vendors in Canada. One of them may have what you need.

7. OrangeandStripey

Macabee...the 2 black NOS ones are giving me trouble. the reds are still fine even after all these years. the blacks are much more flimsy, and the springs in them feel noticeably weaker though Im certain this is likely a fluke.. i dont even know what color the new LP sockets are now but one reason why i like the negrini socket, potentially, is because i may not have to ream out the holes in the bayonet to get the heavier gauge audio wire I use.. and the socket/bayonet definitely seems like a more bulletproof design.

Though in fairness i'd have to say that never working on my body cords.. i built these in 2006, left fencing in 2010 and they sat in some crap pile of miscellany for 7 years.. plugged them into a tester and they worked. never worked on them since 2006.

I'd say that was bullet proof. oh.. and the boot of the bayonet? flex seal rubber tape(swap meet) and duct tape.

If LP made a heavier spring for their sockets id stay LP.

8. brtech

brtech Podium

We regularly see 25-35 year old LP cords that work fine. They don't age out, they wear out, but much slower than any of the 2 pin german style. The Italian design is even better, but where we used to see several in a NAC, it's been a year or more since I've seen one. I used to add it to my test boxes, but don't any more. I realized I have to remake my "octopus" cord for international events, because my current cord has four weapon ends (3 pin, 2 pin German, LP bayo and Negrini bayo). I only need 3 pin and 2 pin German on international trips now.

Just because it's red doesn't mean it's worn out. It depends on how much use and abuse it's had.

9. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

There is something to be said about ground zero. The Italian socket was designed by Carmimari and was the *first* foil socket for the electric foil.
    Tim Lomius turned me on to these. Per Tim, he had and used the same ones for over 30 years. My vets come to me all the time and tell me that the ones they have are 20(+) years old. That tells me that selling one may be the last one we sell to that customer :( for a reason.

Since we were not added to Sam's list, here is the socket on our web site: http://www.swordmasters.com/foil-blades-parts/Foil_Sockets/bayonet-socket-negrini

10. OrangeandStripey

HEY!! Great post. Do you have negrini bayonets without the rest of the cord? used preferably as long as they work!! sockets too.

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

*cough cough* Bill Gelnaw *cough*

12. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

The Fencing Post, out of San Diego, CA, run by Saul and Vicky Mendoza. You can't go wrong.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  13. Yannn

Yannn Made the Cut

Gary,

Thanks for the heads up. I've slightly modified my original post.

As for does your answer sound "a tad funny"? Why yes it does, because it shatters the stereotypes that we Canadians entertain about you Americans as ruthless capitalists. Because remember, we over here are the land of government socialized health care. A land where even private insurers will actually pay you your due benefits and cooperate together doing so! We are basically communists, hey?
    (I added the "hey?" because I know that really pleases Americans about Canadians. And even though I'm a French-Canadian and we never ever say that.)
    ;)

Seriously though, I'm certainly not out to start a civil commercial war among you guys. It's really more as I've explained. Being in Canada, ordering from the USA these days comes with a hefty exchange rate penalty at the border. Plus (apparently random) customs taxes.
    I recently ordered a BF FIE wired blade from Leon Paul USA. I realized too late that I could have bought locally. All in all considering the exchange rate and custom taxes, I ended up paying over US70$ more by ordering from the USA. :(
    Otherwise, I've ordered from Ideal Fencing in Canada. Again, excellent service. But they have their own limited stock. Plus here, it's the shipping that kills me because they are at the other end of the country.

I like the little reseller in my area: Imex Sports. Great service, flexible, and they have your basic needs covered. But as with any passionate fencer, I want the ability to customize my equipment. For example, I have some concerns about a couple guards that I ordered from Imex. They are fine and fairly priced. But I'm thinking that they may not be the best suited for the type of weapon that I like. Unfortunately, Imex only carries the one brand.
    That means that if I want something different, I will likely end up ordering-without-trying-first. Plus the part will likely be twice as expensive as it would be for you, which all makes it even more crucial that I can trust and talk with the reseller.

I've been searching the Web for online ordering resources. I hit all sorts of websites. Some that won't load; some that will, but will be very disorderly; some that offer no description of the items that they offer; etc.
    I assume that some people throw themselves into this market thinking that they'll make a quick buck. But they quickly realize that it is all about community and long term work, as you explained it. So they end up neglecting their business. I just don't want to hit one of them.

In a nutshell, it's a jungle out there and I'm asking for guidance. I just want to know what my options are from here in Canada. :)

Yann

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  14. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

When mating LP plugs to other vendor's wires when making "Frankencords" (reuse/recycle), I bypass the plug's channels. I used to slit the channels along their length to accommodate larger gauges, but I haven't found a by-passing disadvantage.

OrangeandStripey likes this.
  15. neevel

neevel Armorer

This is the norm that most other vendors or manufacturers (FWF, Uhlmann, et al) use for bayonet cords with wire thicker than the 22 AWG that Leon Paul makes: strip (& ideally tin) a short length of the end of each wire for each terminal (make it short enough that no significant amount sticks out of the terminal hole), then just run the wire alongside the plastic channel. If the ends of the wire are properly tinned, the pointed ends of the screws will dig into the solder when tightened and replace some of the stress relief lost by not looping the wire through the channels.

16. OrangeandStripey

Hey i never thought of soldering and tinning. I've done both slitting and bypassing and a combination of sanding the monster wire outer plastic as well as enlarging the metal hole it passes thru before being skewered.

Frankencord. Hmmm. I build guitars as a hobby and Van Halen's first famous guitar is the "frankenstrat".

There's gonna be some red and white cords at the armory table this year.

17. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Shouldn't they rather be orange and stripey instead?

18. OrangeandStripey

oooooooh orange and stripey cords great idea!! I use blue and silver mainly which are my corporate colors.

19. Robert Smith

Robert Smith Made the Cut

Both of the clubs here in Victoria, BC buy from CrossedSwords.ca. Run by Stephen Symons, former CFF president, and offering good club discounts along with pretty good prices in general. For instance, we recently bought four Favero Millennium reels from them, at $375 CDN a piece, less club discount; the current prices on US sites are around the $350 US mark - well over $400 CDN. There's tax on top either way, but shipping within Canada is cheaper.

I don't know of any comparable Canadian supplier; we bought a few things from Athos, but it seems a lot of their stuff was distinctly low-budget. Way back we bought some items from Fencing Equipment of Canada, but prices seemed somewhat high. I guess the US vendors had the advantage of a larger market and economies of scale - which is why, for the main part, we settled on The Fencing Post and Fencing.net - but CrossedSwords.ca works very well for us.

You're probably already aware of this, but, just in case, if you DO order from the US, make sure not to have anything shipped by UPS ground, as you'll pay a significant chunk - a third or more of the shipment value - in customs brokerage fees. Used to be that Absolute would only ship by UPS, which made them a definite no-no for us; don't know if that's still the case. Ship by USPS and you may avoid customs charges entirely.

Yannn likes this.
  20. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

So funny Sam,

Take a look at this, click here