Where to buy bulk body cord wire (foil)?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by 10gallonhat, Nov 17, 2010.

1. 10gallonhat

10gallonhat Rookie

I am having a hard time sourcing bulk body cord wire for foil. The best I can find is FencePBT which runs $2.49/meter (=$4.48/1.8 m full cord length). Am I missing something? Please help me put the dozens of clips/pins/etc I have gathered back into use. Thanks in advance.

2. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

Foil is a lot easier than Epee. If all you were interested was price you could go with lampcord, but it is stiff. Another option is Monster Cables.

Another source would be an electronics store and get the red/black cable for meters test cables. It is flexible and considering what it is designed for low resistance. That you can get in bulk.

3. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

Speaker cable is another option that tends to be slightly more flexible and expensive than lamp cord.

4. Fencergrl

Fencergrl Rookie

I use speaker cable that I buy by the roll at my local electronics supplier. Bring a sample, and they'll find the right gauge.

5. the ancient one

the ancient one DE Bracket

6. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

I usually use 18 gauge although 16 gauge is also common enough.

7. Fencergrl

Fencergrl Rookie

Yeah, I have the same, but was just being lazy & didn't want to bother walking around the corner to look at what gauge I bought.

8. piste off

piste off Podium

Can you get speaker wire or Monster Cables in 3 "strands?" (NOTE: not sure what to call the individual wires). I thought they ususally come in two, whereas the bodycords need 3.

Rick

9. Fencergrl

Fencergrl Rookie

Not typically, speaker wire is usually 2 strand (sabre/ foil cords). I showed my supplier a sample, of my epee wire and he hadn't seen anything similar. For floor cables, I've used microphone cable... lovely stuff.

I didn't really pursue the epee cords because my supplier is so cheap it's not worth building cables when I can buy them for $6 ea. I make a specialty body cord with the speaker wire however, so I have no choice there.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  10. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Hence DHCJr's statement that "Foil is a lot easier than Epee."

There's nothing in the rules that says that the individual conductors need to be joined together - in fact m.29.2.b requires 40 cm of separation between the wire ending in the crocodile clip and the other two. For a foil or saber cord it's easy enough to use a length of two conductor wire between the reel-end plug for the weapon-end plugs, then split another length of two conductor cable into two individual wires, one of which can then be used for the third wire that goes to the crocodile clip.

11. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

Most electrical/electronics suppliers/vendors will call these individualy insulated wires "conductors", while the "strands/stranding" will be the number of individual wires within this insulation. When talking to a supplier over the phone or via e-mail, using the right terminology usually helps save a lot of time. :)

12. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

For epee wire, you want to search for parallel bonded 3 conductor wire and you'll get a bunch of results. Here's one of them.

13. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

Prieur Foil Bodycords are actually made with 3-conductor cord and they are guaranteed to fail Control straight out of the box. They don't even have a free length of 4 cm, let alone 40 cm as said above.

If working with Leon Paul 18 guage is too big. I prefer 22 or 24 guage.

14. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

When I looked at this it bothered me. No where does it tell how many strands. Also, the specification that it meets S.A.E. J1128 standards is for automotive wires which are not known for being very flexible.

15. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I didn't say that was the best solution. I was just giving search terms and an example of the results for anyone trying to buy bulk epee wire.

16. Rock

Rock Rookie

Worse than the trailer wire - as far as comfort goes - is antenna wire from Radio Shack (or other electronics store).

I mainly use it to replace flloor cables in the club, and it's fine.

Not recommended, but it's cheap and works.

17. fatfencer

fatfencer Podium

DHCJr mentioned Monster Cable. It's great stuff. I wrote a thread once on using it to replace the weaker LP wire. As preventative maintenance I superglue the whole assembly shut so no moisture can get it and even still I cover the bayonet and the 3 prong end with a rubberized gasket tape.

I dont remember them failing.. though they wer so ugly that I'd often get a WTF!!! expression from armorers during checkin. I get that anyway though.. :p)

18. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

All the suggestions are great ones. The best wire out there is the one "Sam" has made. If he is out, then I would suggest contacting TCA - Tripplete and they have some 3 conductor wire. If unable there, I selll the Favero bulk wire and the Negrini bulk wire. Now for the Negrini wire, if you have to ask how much it is, then you can't afford it. It ain't cheap!

Gary Spruill

19. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Thanks, Gary! And yeah...I've been out for several years...no money to make a new order with the minimum order required...I don't have several thousand available!

Now if enough people want to go in with me on it like last time, I'll definitely look into it!

20. Nolano

Nolano Rookie

Much like their body cords. But in both cases you generally won't regret it when every other cord you have fails in less than half the time