Where else?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jjefferies, Jun 6, 2018.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Yeah!
    talking about single topic websites: http://www.howtowipeyourbutt.com/
    and youtube videos to go with:

I wonder if these single topic websites will die out.

2. jkormann

jkormann Podium

[Cap't Obvious] People put up web sites as gags all the time[/Cap't Obvious]
    A co-worker / friend owns: www.hats4toads.com.*
    Yes, there is a story behind it. And he thinks the site is funny.

*no toads are harmed.

3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Who toad you that?

4. TooLoftheDeviL

TooLoftheDeviL gother than thou

You're welcome to come find out how fast I'll ban you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

As fast as a Gu Bongil attack?

Marc likes this.
  6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

You need to do the bodybuilder crab pose when you signal your powerfulness. Just to add the visual. :)

7. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

R/Fencing is just like this forum was 10 years ago. There's nothing to suggest that it won't suffer the same rate of decay as this one.

People complain about the same things because these are the things people complain about. I know it's circular but I've been hanging around fencing communities since IRC chat and it's always been the same and in many cases the same people.

It's interesting to me that the same response is often trotted out "go out and fence" .... but people often go to forums to discuss other topics than the main one. There's also much about fencing which is hard to learn unless you're lucky enough to fence in a well connected environment. Discussion forums are one of the good things that have spring up on the internet. They allow people to discuss the things that are otherwise hard to find out about. And fencing is (was?) hard to find information about.

So why has this forum and other similar forums become less active?

Social media is one key point. The ubiquity of facebook which has hollowed out discourse is definitely an issue. Facebook doesn't connect in the same way as a forum. It tends to pigeonhole, to keep people in silos. How do you connect with an FIE referee in the world of facebook unless that ref happens to be a member of group you know about, a grou you can find or you're already pals somehow. There are a lot of disparate discussions going on all the time on FB. However these tend to become limited to the group of connections close to the person starting it. A facebook group isn't much better.

I've cultivated many friendships through this forum, I've also met many people I wouldn't have met any other way. It's allowed me to find a diverse group of interesting "friends" that I don't always agree with but I know I can talk to. TBH I find other social platforms much poorer at this because they are much more impersonal especially those under the control of an algorithm.

I really enjoy Jaron Lanier's books and in one of them (You are not a gagdet I think) he talks about forums in one of his essays. He makes a lot of the same observations as people are making here. He enjoys really weird instruments and likes to discuss this topic with like-minded people but many of them have gravitated away from that forum. He makes a point that's worth thinking about. Niche forums like fnet serve as a public space, like an old market. They often have identities which are unique and are dependant on the cultures that emerge from them. Despite my frustrations over the years this is one of the reasons I come back to FNET.

Mac A. Bee, Montoya, Strytllr and 2 others like this.
  8. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

Well said, Gav, As the number of possible platforms to discuss fencing grows, I've managed to keep my hand in F.net by being ruthless about who I read and who I've marked "ignore", and exercising some self-discipline. This lets me continue to get information (and opinions) I often get anywhere else but F.net.

Peach, Montoya and Gav like this.