Where else?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jjefferies, Jun 6, 2018.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Where else besides f.net are fencers going for information and updates? Other long term members/posters have indicated that there are fb sites for such groupings as VETs. But I have yet to find them? But I note that this group seems to be becoming moribund, well except for Inq and myself, and I was wondering?

2. Lefty Belgian

Lefty Belgian DE Bracket

The site is stagnant because, whatever the new piece of information, it is always related back to the same, stale topics. Annual guessing as to next year's NAC sites and then complaining about the selected venues. Complaints about the NO; inefficiency, tardiness, conflicts of interest, and disorganization. Expansion versus selectivity; local, regional and national events and qualification criteria. Unfairness of economics. World Team arms races. Lack of appreciation for directors, armorers, and USA Fencing volunteers. The list goes on and on, but rarely introduces anything new. Lot's of tension in discussions, often leading to snarkiness and confrontations. Not exactly welcoming to would-be posters. Not sure, as an inexperienced fencer or parent, that I would be readily inclined to post here.

There are some other sites I have browsed. Some of the fencing clubs post static guides to introduce fencing. There is a thread on College Confidential relating solely to college recruitment that has gained some traction. As the parent of an active fencer, I have found that a large amount of parents simply avail themselves of knowledge from parents and fencers they trust. A more personal touch and an immeasurable greater amount of comfort. This site has had a monopoly for a long time. It had best look to its laurels if it wants to maintain its audience and increase interest....

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Eh. The forums were lively for many years despite the "nothing new" aspect.

And this exact same effect can be observed on other traditional forums. People are either moving to other social media which have younger users, or going away altogether. Even Facebook seems to be growing more slow and sedate.

If it were really just "there's nothing new" there probably wouldn't be any forums except those devoted to technology and world events.

4. Montoya

Montoya DE Bracket

There is a USA Fencing Veterans group on Facebook. "Jonathan Jefferies" is indeed a member, so unless there are two jjefferies, you have already found the group. You can also find discussion on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fencing/

Stence likes this.
  5. CrownOfCanada

CrownOfCanada Rookie

I think there might be some truth in this. I'm in several other forums on several other topics, including Triathlon, etc. and all have seen a significant drop in activity I'd say over the last 2-3 years, whereas before that they were fairly active. Many of the technical questions are repeats and a quick search of forums can already offer the newcomer information. beginnertriathlete.com used to have hundreds of active posters..and is now down to 10's of people. Krav Maga, biology, emergency preparedness.....pick any forum, and I'm sure you'll see the same. Its not linked to just online forums either...active social groups on BBM, Instagram, FB, etc. all seem to start, have an active period..then drop off significantly. I think personally, the reason is that once a topic is discussed ad nauseum...there is not much more to discuss. You can only talk about an interest so much without starting to rehash the same thing over again.

The forums that seem to keep interest are ones like urban exploration where there is always something new being posted that others can take direct advantage of. Or buy/sales forums/FB Pages, etc.

6. BellevueJeff

BellevueJeff Rookie

reddit.com/r/fencing has a fair amount of activity. I especially like the roast it Wednesday video analysis and other video that users post and discuss. Given that fencing is all about learning a physical task, as some point we all have to quit talking or writing and go out and do it to improve.

K O'N likes this.
  7. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

At least this meta thread is something new.

I'm so meta, even this acronym.

8. mfp

mfp Podium

Usenet and Myspace.

9. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

You guys keep mentioning this reddit thing. Be careful recommending that, I do not think that anyone wants me to start trolling there...

10. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

That's true. If the entire fencing.net user base migrated to reddit, it might kill the sub.

11. Peach

Peach Podium

I follow people, not pages or forums. More reliable.

12. neevel

neevel Armorer

Well, some of us can remember when the bulk of the Fencing.net user base was folks who had migrated from rec.sport.fencing.

K O'N and Peach like this.
  13. Peach

Peach Podium

Isn't it still? :)

neevel, Goldgar and InFerrumVeritas like this.
  14. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Did I really do that and not remember? Ouch..Duh...Uh Maybe....It was my evil twin. He's quite capable of that.

"rec.sport.fencing"... Hey I recollect that. Is it still alive?

Just looked at the reddit. Ok looks like a younger, univ. crowd maybe? Couldn't tell from my cursory read of who is whom.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  15. K O'N

K O'N Podium

We're all just, like, people, man. You know? Like, who am I really, man? Age is just a number, you dig me? I'm only as old as my youngest pre-cancerous skin growth, you know man?

Reddit's fine, come jump in. I mean, it's just a copy of usenet on the web, invented entirely so someone could co-opt usenet discussions in a venue more suited to scraping and selling all our data, but once you get over that the water's fine :)

There's a decent set of regular threads, a trickle of new people joining, and the discussion seems less repetitive, though I admit I check fnet and reddit for interesting stuff.

For me the deciding factor is that Reddit is more reliably archived, so it's more likely that old posts will be searchable in five or ten years. Sadly, single-topic dedicated forums like fnet tend to die out and fade away, and all the armory posts and technique tips and product reviews and comments on World Cups or Olympic bouts are one day just... gone. Often individual posts are not even archived on the Wayback Machine. At least Reddit has a pretty robust infrastructure behind it, so if an elite athlete or coach, for example, posts an analysis of some video or action it's likely to still be there in a few years when go google for it. That alone makes it a more viable option, for me. I'm sad to say that since I enjoy fnet, but in truth dedicated forums like this already feel a bit dated to me.

16. ShortFoot

ShortFoot DE Bracket

Just as a data point: minutes ago I was on the verge of posting something on another thread--transsexuals and athletics, admittedly a touchy topic--and I thought nope, that would probably devolve into an unpleasant exchange, and I don't need that. But I did learn some things from passively reading the thread. So it was of benefit to me, but I avoided trying to contribute.

I used to participate in a forum on menswear, which was starting a decline from its heyday even back then, and it seemed like a similar dynamic: the probability that an innocent if possibly uninformed post would trigger a series of increasingly sharp exchanges was just too high. It wasn't just me; there was a lot of lot of bad blood. Over stuff like pockets squares and loafers, which last I checked would not be anybody's idea of hot topics.

Sure, there's Reddit, which I've heard can be quite lively. But too much of that lively, from what I gather, is exactly the kind of lively I prefer to avoid. (And no, I'm not going to give it a try to find out for myself.)

17. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Fortunately, this isn't a big issue on Drum Corps Planet. We always have the same arguments about uniform changes, drum finishes, who should've won in a given year, etc.

On the other hand, since it IS a creative art form that has new programming every year, we have new stuff to argue about...

18. tsbphd

tsbphd Rookie

I stay here to discuss fencing, though as you can see from my low post count I am one of those guilty of not contributing all that much. My online social activity consists of this and two other specialty forums while I avoid social media sites (FB, IG, etc...) altogether. The other two specialty forums are both wildly active, but have had the typical ebb and flow over the years.

Some of what I see here is a rather stagnant feel due to a lack of images. Image posts do well on topics where folks can readily share a glamour shot or two of the topic at-hand, but fencing does not lend itself to that. Also, aside from posting bout results, fencing is not a data or "collecting" topic where folks with a goal can show numerically or through images where they are. Lastly, I see a bit of "how many fairies can stand on the end of a pin" arguing when rules are parsed over and over again.

I prefer this site to sites such as reddit and one reason is that I think this has a sleeker feel while reddit reminds me of the internet in the early and mid-1990s. However, reddit benefits from cross-pollination since it has myriad forums and a user can simply park on the site and explore.

To amend for my lack of participation, I have today started a thread on this site.

19. Privateer

Privateer Podium

reddit itself probably trends younger, but I don't feel like /r/fencing is that way. A couple of us probably skew the average.

20. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

A whole forum devoted to men swearing? There really is something on the net for everything, I guess.

Gav, ShortFoot and Blackwood like this.