What would you like to see from your vendors?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Eisley, Jan 29, 2009.

1. yearsofwisdom

yearsofwisdom Rookie

and once again you second the notion that there is no lifespan difference between the regular and max? sorry im being so OCD over it, ive broken way too many foils this year...

2. Catseye

Catseye Rookie

Any chance absolute can make a fencing bag with bookbag straps? I'm imagining something like the LP Freerunner or a bass guitar bag (which isn't half bad as a fencing bag). Maybe it's just me, but the the sling strap style is really uncomfortable.

3. Eisley

Eisley Rookie

Yes and yes.

4. Eisley

Eisley Rookie

There's no difference in lifespan between the regular and the max, forrreall! Like I said, the Max isn't really stiff in the true sense of the word. And when using common, non fencing related sense, anything that's brittle is going to break more easily than something that has more flex to it because it has more of an ability to give rather than just giving out. But both versions of the Vniti are anything BUT brittle.

5. Eisley

Eisley Rookie

I'm going to say probably not since most people are really happy with the shoulder strap, and we also already have 2 extra straps in addition to that in case you wanted to carry it by hand instead. I think adding a 3rd way to carry the bag is sort of overkill.

I say you're probably stuck with buying the LP bag if it's really that uncomfortable for you, or if that's not really an option for you, you can probably just have straps sewn on to carry the bag like a book bag yourself.

6. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I wouldn't say I'm happy with the single shoulder strap as mine tend to break fairly quickly. I am, however, quite happy with the overall value of the bag so I don't complain. :)

7. Eisley

Eisley Rookie

Where do yours tend to break on the shoulder? Perhaps it's something that could be easily repaired or depending on how fast we're talking about it breaking, even replaced.

8. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

It's generally one of the plastic pieces: one of the plastic loops where the strap is mounted, or the plastic slide adjustment for length. The strap itself doesn't break. Also, the little rubber piece that's designed to distribute the force on the shoulder is pretty much useless. Again, for the price I'm willing to deal with these issues.

9. Eisley

Eisley Rookie

I understand that you're not really complaining, but definitely if something can be improved we'd like to know about it. I'll see if anyone else has this issue and if there's anything we can do to reinforce these areas. How long do these pieces usually take to give out?

10. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

It varies between 6 months and a year of 3x per week use before something gives.

11. Eisley

Eisley Rookie

It looks like I won't be able to post pictures at the moment of the new Team/Club bags. Amanda's on vacation for the week (with her camera, and all I have is a phone camera that's not so great) and this is my last week of work before I take maternity leave.

While I'm out I'll still check this post every so often and by the time I get back the bags should be up for sale.

12. Michael_Z

Michael_Z Made the Cut

Congratulations on the baby!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  13. EldRick

EldRick Podium

We'll miss your cheerful nature and sense of humor. Hurry back.

14. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Rookie

Eisley,

I am extremely happy with AF, and order almost everything from you. The only stuff I order from other vendors is stuff you don't carry. Maybe you can add similar products? Examples:

• I love Leon Paul electric sabre pommels (item S78), because they are extra-heavy for better balance: http://www.leonpaulusa.com/fencing/acatalog/Sabre_Pommels.html
    • I like Leon Paul epee screws because of the better steel and higher grade`thread
    • Maybe you could make a sabre glove with more padding, especially on the back of the thumb?
    • I would love a two-sided plastron/underarm protector. When I work with students, I sometimes switch from right-handed to left-handed.
    • Please stop putting those little plastic rings on your foil/sabre body cords. Are they supposed to keep the A-wire from pulling free? They just drive me nuts. Also, the strain relief on your bodycords is useless. Please use something that is more robust, and also that will stay in place.
    • A bungee/overhead reel-less system would be great.
    • I love the crinkle-coating that Leon Paul uses on their insulated grips.
    • Carry some cool fencing posters.
    • Carry (or duplicate) Negrini's "armorer's shim set" (which includes a 0.4 shim, in addition to the 0.5 and 1.5)
    • The rubber/plastic practice tips from Fencing dot net stay in place much better than yours. Try to copy their design, if you can. The shape is slightly different, and the material is a little more flexible.
    • I don't like your plastic French Grips. The covering tears easily, and the core cracks.
    • The Velcro on many of your gloves (all of them?) is "backwards" and, therefore, difficult to fasten.
    • The insulation on your clear bodycords is kinda "sticky", and doesn't slide very easily when it is in your sleeve.

Since I think it is also helpful to know what you are doing well, here are some of the things I like about AF already:
    • Like everyone has said already, your customer service is TOP-NOTCH.
    • I love that you try to make improvements all the time (and usually succeed).
    • Your prices are very, very reasonable. (Someone earlier said that you were one of the most expensive booths at the NACs??? They must have been hit in the mask a few times too many that day . . .)
    • As far as inexpensive, entry-level body cords and sockets go, yours are the best in the business. Most vendors' $20 cords aren't fit to tie up a garbage bag. Yours actually work! Decent, inexpensive sockets are even harder to find . . .
    • For the price, you can't beat your bags.
    • I order something late at night on a Monday, and it's here by Thursday. (And I am usually pretty particular, too.) Awesome. I almost always get my order, big or small, in 2-3 days.
    • I showed Amanda a 3-in-1 weight set that Dan had, and you had some of them made! I love mine. The only problem is that you don't seem to sell them anymore. :(
    • For the price, your 350N uniforms are great. I am especially impressed with the quality of the fabric and the tailoring.
    • I love your socks, especially now that they are made with moisture wicking material. They are nice and well-cushioned (not too thin in the foot).
    • For the price, your bell-guards are very well-made and durable.
    • Thanks for adding the Favero machines to your "regular line-up". I bought some from you 2 seasons ago, but I had to make a special request because they weren't on the website.
    • Even when I had just started coaching, and had only ordered a few things from you so far, Gary always remembered me and said "hi" when I saw him at NACs. That was cool.
    • Nice job re-designing your masks. When AF first started out, they had this strange "alien-head" shape to them.
    • Good armorers. I can order complete weapons and pre-wired blades from you and not have to worry about bad glue-jobs and poor assembly.
    • I told Gary that I wanted a tang bender. He gave me one. HIS.
    • I don't love the feel or the shape of your inexpensive blades, but they are usually pretty durable. For beginners, that's the most important part.
    • Great prices on fencing starter sets.
    • Good prices on scoring machine/reel sets.

I hope this helps a bit. Keep up the great work.

Chuck

Congratulations on the baby, by the way!!!!

15. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Chuck,

It appears that at least on of your requests has been granted (click here)! In fact, Absolute's customer service is so good that they were able to respond almost two years BEFORE you even made the request. :)

Chuck F. likes this.
  16. GypsyScot

GypsyScot DE Bracket

Since Eisley is off propagating the species, we're partying like it's 2008 with me back at the helm!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  17. Michael_Z

Michael_Z Made the Cut

Will absolute be carrying the Nike Ballestras when they come out in October? I know fnet and leon paul will have them but I am located near the absolute weahouse and would like to try them on.

18. yearsofwisdom

yearsofwisdom Rookie

my friend actually called up nike several days earlier, and they said that they would not be in production by october??? can someone validate this?

19. Michael_Z

Michael_Z Made the Cut

Maybe the customer service rep was not told about the ballestras?

20. GypsyScot

GypsyScot DE Bracket

We might, it's a little unclear, we'll see.