What would cause a foil socket to cause off targets?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by anton_fairfax, Feb 9, 2019.

1. anton_fairfax

anton_fairfax Made the Cut

I have a foil which was suffering intermittent off targets and i have isolated the problem to the socket.

I tried multiple body cords, all of which sat very snugly into the socket (not loose at all, and I spread the pins for good measure).

Yet, wiggling the connector would cause an off target every time. The new socket works perfectly with every body cord.

It has some light corrosion on the surface but none on the actual screws or holes, just the main arm bit. It all seems relatively clean, albeit old. And it was working fine till recently..

Any idea what would cause this or if it’s repairable?

2. dcchew

dcchew Podium

It sounds like you may have some issues with corrosion built up on surfaces of the sockets on your old socket. It’s hard to give any more detailed guess without seeing the socket, dismantling it, and doing some probing with a multimeter.

The important thing is that a new socket seems to have fixed your problem.

anton_fairfax likes this.
  3. neevel

neevel Armorer

Corrosion in the socket seems a likely cause if everything is mechanically tight- you can get a layer that is not readily visible to the eye but can still affect resistance. Get some fine sandpaper, cut a bit off, and roll it up face-out so that it will fit down the plugs and clean the interior surfaces. If that doesn't fix things, then disassemble the plugs and give everything a light sanding.
    If you have some contact cleaner, you can try giving a spritz of that down each plug before resorting to sanding.

4. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

Yep... sounds like corrosion. It’s possible to get corrosion in many places. I always clean the surface of the bracket where it contacts the bell. I also always spin the grounded socket after it is tight to assure good contact. Lastly, I make sure that the wire is clean. Sometimes the wire has a thin coat of laquer or corrosion on it that can be removed with fine sandpaper.

5. Privateer

Privateer Podium

could be a poor connection with the wire and the socket. could be a wire pinch between the bracket and the bellguard/grip.

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

That's more likely to ground out, unless the wire's broken by the pinch.

7. Privateer

Privateer Podium

sure.

8. anton_fairfax

anton_fairfax Made the Cut

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like corrosion is the answer. I’ll pull the socket apart and give it all a thorough clean.

If I buy some contact cleaner to do this, is that something I could also use to clean my foil tip, screws etc? Or is it like one of those WD-40 style lubricants that one shouldn’t use to clean tips?

9. dcchew

dcchew Podium

You can use electronic contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol to clean your tips.

Privateer likes this.
  10. neevel

neevel Armorer

Yes, you can use a plastic-safe contact cleaner for points as well- wrap the barrel in a paper towel to catch overspray, give it a spritz, then swab it out with a Q-tip. The one caveat is that I found that the plastic that Leon Paul uses for their foil wire insulator cups was not 'safe' with the particular contact cleaner I had, and ended up having to rewire a couple of blades. I've never had a problem with other wires (Uhlmann/Allstar, FWF, PBT, Absolute, Sport 7, etc.)