What Protective Cup should I buy?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by [Arion], Oct 8, 2017.

1. [Arion]

[Arion] Rookie

Hey guys, got a pretty straightforward question here. I want to buy a protective cup, I just don't know which one.
    I read a bit about them online, but I hope I can get a clear answer here on what to buy, and what definitely not to buy.
    I preferably have one that absorbs all the impact when hit, one that doesn't have holes in them, one that is comfortable and does not interfere with my plays. I'm okay with dealing with some discomfort if it means it keeps my junk safe and lets me play my game.
    Are these specifications okay? Or maybe I want something that's not possible? Hope you guys can help me :D

2. Mergs

Mergs Podium

OH DEAR GOD, NOT THIS DISCUSSION AGAIN!!!!!!!
    :eek::confused::rolleyes::oops::eek::eek::eek::confused::mad:

Just kidding - there has been a gazillion electrons killed over this subject on this forum - mostly whether or not they should be used, required, etc. etc, etc. But since you are just asking for a recommendation, I will venture this opinion - if the holes are smaller than a saber point, or foil, then I'd recommend that. Otherwise the solid ones would be best. I'd look at what sport each one is designed for - ones that involve running would be best suited for fencing. IMHO.

3. [Arion]

[Arion] Rookie

Yes, I read some of those old threads. Though I thought the last thread was like 6 years old, so I figured the subject had died down a little. Alas.

How would I recognize one that involves running though? The local shop I'm currently looking at specializes in kick boxing etc. Would that qualify? The descriptions of the shop itself don't help much, because according to them each protective cup is the best. Should I find another shop then? Maybe even buy it online?

4. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I personally use the Shock Doctor Ultra Carbon Flex. It has flexible sides, which make it much more comfortable than a fully rigid cup. It also has smaller than normal ventilation holes that a blade point will not pass through. I like that Shock Doctor’s compression shorts have an effective built in supporter, unlike the ones I’ve used from Under Armor or Reebok.

The brand really isn’t important. You want small holes (so a point cannot get stuck) and flexible sides (to prevent chafing). Get a good supporter that holds everything in place.

5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

If you're wearing knickers it's highly unlikely that a point ( or a broken blade ) is going to penetrate the knickers, the outside of the cup carrier, find one of the holes in the cup, go through the inside of the cup carrier, and then de-ball you.

I have worn a cup for what? 34 years of fencing, never had an issue. ( Admittedly, I fence sabre. )

6. [Arion]

[Arion] Rookie

So something with flexible sides then? And what exactly is the use of the ventilation holes?

As a guy who uses a protective cup with gel, how much of the shocks does it absorb when it's hit? If you've ever been hit that is. I heard that gel doesn't absorb all the shocks and that it sometimes still can be a bit painful. But that info is a few years old now.
    Well, I rather not run the risk knowing my luck. And when I'm going to buy one with the intend to use it for the next few decades, I might as well make sure it covers everything.

So there are like 3 in my local shop that could qualify I think. Mind if I hear your opinions on those?

Honestly, this one looks like the best one from the three, but looks can be deceiving.
    It has "Optimal protection of the balls", "a good fit", "keeps the muscles warm and prevents injuries", "built in support to put the cup in" and "ventilation panels" (I hope they are too small for a blade to get through). It's from Nylon and is recommended by the company.

This one looks a bit like the Shockdoctors.
    It has "2 layers of protection", "anatomical fit" (dunno what that means ._. ), "Rubber gel padding" and "Dry Tech supporter cup" (probably means that it has a built in support for the cup). There is 1 review, giving it a 5 star. "First experience is super good, tried it after ShockDoctor, in quality just as good as the ShockDoctor." That's a good sign I hope. But it is made from plastic. I have heared stories about plastic cups splintering inwards. I don't know if that are fairytails, or if that's actually true. But now I'm not sure if I want plastic.

This one looks a bit like the one they give to little kids when they do karate or something like that.
    It has a "comfortable fit due to the elastic band", "plastic cup gives good protection"(I would hope so...), "easy to wash", and it's made of bisonyl. Which I guess is a type of plastic.

So what would be the best option?

7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

It sounds as though you are really looking for

[​IMG]

Nothing is going to go through that. ;)

8. EspadaMK

EspadaMK Made the Cut

I use a cricket box as they are easy to obtain here in the UK but are designed to stop cricket balls traveling at high speed (comparable with a baseball). It will stop any hits hurting you in the area covered as it is solid plastic with padded edges.

I am not sure how much ventilation holes help once they are under all your fencing gear but in theory they should reduce sweat build up. Probably keep them as small as possible though. I have known one penetration injury in that area and would rather be safe than sorry.

As you have seen, the supports are available in different styles, shorts and straps, these are available separately from the cup and are pretty interchangeable between brands.

9. [Arion]

[Arion] Rookie

That's... are protective cup? Looks uncomfortable. But if it works... I guess?
    Hmm, cricket over here isn't popular at all though. I higy doubt I would find one. I can look around though. Anything I should look out for?

10. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

It's armor. Probably not overly comfortable, but protection against anything short of a direct hit with a musket ball.

11. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

[I thought this topic would die, but....]
    AFAIK, there's not much difference between the protective part of one model or another. All should do the job satisfactorily. The main difference is in the garment that it goes into: whether it's one that goes over your skivvies or one that you wear in place of your skivvies. That's a matter of personal preference.

12. [Arion]

[Arion] Rookie

So, is it the best option?
    [I'm quite serious about protecting my junk though.]
    So I should just try out several Protective Cups and find out what I like the most? There is no difference between a plastic or steel one?

13. InFerrumVeritas

It's not about penetrating the knickers, it's about getting caught in the vent holes, which can cause a blade to snap.

14. InFerrumVeritas

Personally I'd buy the first one. The second one has a concave shape that, while probably very good at absorbing a ball or a kick, I would be concerned about a point catching on. Honestly though, any of those three options will get the job done.

I like compression shorts better than a traditional jock, but that's a pretty personal preference.

I've seen exactly one blade break on someone's crotch. There was no blood or injury, but it's something I've been paranoid about ever since.

15. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

You, uh, anticipate a point getting caught in the vent holes through the knickers?!

Oh, wait, never mind, I guess that could happen with the thin stretch fabrics some of you guys favor.

16. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Yeah, something that happens with a weapon's point. You shouldn't have anything to fear. :rolleyes:

17. [Arion]

[Arion] Rookie

Uhm... okay. So definitely not one with holes. Even if it doesn't do any harm, better not run the risk.

Gav likes this.
  18. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

19. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

And if you are really worried about the holes in a cup, get some Shoe Goo and fill them in. The stuff dries and sets just about as hard as plastic.

20. [Arion]

[Arion] Rookie

Ah, thank you for the suggestion, I'll check it out.
    Hmm, I'm not a handy man, but that's also a possibility.