what is StM blade ???

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by vincikai, May 3, 2004.

1. vincikai

vincikai Made the Cut

what is StM blade ??? is it vinty??? does any one have them is it a good foil blade? :)

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

It's not a Vniti...it's a different forge in the Ukraine...I don;t remember what the initials stand for...Don Clinton probably does.

3. neevel

neevel Armorer

StMs are from Ukraine. They're light, and I like their balance. One problem I've found, though-- they are prone to taking and holding kinks, and once they do get a substantial kink they're not long for this world. You can do a thorough job of straightening out the blade and re-training an even curve into it, but the next time you make a touch with any force it'll bend right where the kink occurred. Count on it breaking there after a few times. Not the blade to use when fencing opponents who like to counterattack fast and hard.

The Vniti forge is in St. Petersburg. They're a relatively heavy blade, but are very durable. They flick decently, but have enough substance to them that the point won't whip around to much coming off of strong blade actions. Probably the best durability for the buck in maraging blades.

-Dave

Last edited: May 3, 2004
    mifencer likes this.
  4. Swordmaster

Swordmaster Rookie

What is StM?

"StM" (the "t" looks like a sword in the stamp) is the blade mark of the Sport Service forge in the Ukraine.
    "BHNTU" is the blade mark of the Vniti forge, and as David has said, located in St. Petersburg, Russia.
    Both forges make FIE grade blades and as stated each has it's own varied pros and cons. Sport Service also makes non-FIE blades. These are along the same line as the Fleche' blade as far as longievity and flexibility char.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

And StMs (or S&Ms as some people call them!) have taken the entry level place of France Lames with some vendors (Fencing Post and myself, for example), although Prieur is making blades now.