What do you use for inspection marks

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by ktinoue3, Apr 30, 2018.

1. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

This last weekend I notice a slight issue with the rotary stamps that a lot of clubs are using for marking.
    due to limited number of characters a couple kids already had an SYC2018 stamp. Luckily we were using SYC18.

Searching around for alternatives I was wondering if anyone had tried to use something like one of these
    https://www.discountrubberstamps.com/productdetail.aspx?productid=42R524D

I noticed a lot of overlap on tape colors for marking cables but I can't think of a better solution for that.

2. mfp

mfp Podium

The solution is to not overly worry about it.

ktinoue3 likes this.
  3. St.Meow

St.Meow Made the Cut

The solution is to have them take off their old inspection marks. As for stamps, if you really want to get something cheap and convenient, grab a v-chisel, an x-acto knife, and a big novelty eraser. You can cut the eraser into multiple blocks, and carve your design into it using the v-chisel and the x-acto knife. Big novelty erasers are $5 on amazon and can make multiple stamps.

4. dcchew

dcchew Podium

For a universal inspection stamp setup, I recommend the Ribtype adjustable stamps. If you are the armorer at a lot of local RYC and ROC tournaments, this saves you a lot of money and time.

Www.ribtype.com

5. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

For a simple text based stamp, a make-your-own stamp kit such as this will suffice, although it can be rather tedious assembling the type to make up a new stamp every time (especially if you have to make up two or more identical stamps).
    Another approach is to collect a variety of stamps and vary the color of ink - over the years I have collected a number of generic fencing- themed self-inking stamps with different colored ink pads that can be swapped between them. However the number of possible permutations is limited and it can become tedious keeping track of when the last time a particular stamp and color combination were used. More recently I've simply taken to dropping by a local arts and craft store, picking up a couple of inexpensive wood block rubber stamps, and either using a different colored ink pad for different events, or simply treating them as disposable. They're generally cheap enough to allow me to replace them several times for less than the cost of one self-inking stamp and a simple rubber stamp glued to a block of wood is far less likely to jam than a self-inking stamp. I've even sometimes picked up stamp sets in the toy section of the dollar store, although those stamps are so cheaply made that I often end up remounting the rubber on a block of wood just to make them easier to work with.

There are also alternatives to tape for marking cords, including plastic cable ties (not recommended, even if this is a common practice at international events - they're relatively expensive and cable ties are even more difficult to get people to remove than tape) and self-adhesive inspection stickers (I used to print them up on return address label sheets). The advantages of printed labels are that they are cheap and can easily be tailored to each event. The disadvantages are that they take longer to put on the cord (first you have to peel the label off of its sheet, then you have to wrap it around the cord), they sometimes fall off (although the same criticism can be made of tape), and if the fencer puts the cord with the label into the back pocket of their sweaty knickers by the end of the day the paper label may be reduced to a pulpy mess (more likely to be a problem for tournaments extending over two or more days than for a single event).

6. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I prefer the old school rubber stamp with a separate ink pad. That way, you can use different colors ink it necessary.

Always get the felt ink pads. They're easier to re-ink. For some reason, the gel ink pads don't seem to work for me. It's something about the ink already supplied in them. The ink works fine on paper, but can tend to smear on fabric or lame material.

7. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

That's what we use. Refs shown symbol and tape color at morning meeting.

8. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Yep. Stamp a bunch of index cards, stick some bits of tape to them, and put them in the referee bullpen.

9. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Or Post-It notes - I usually plaster those puppies all over the place, and have even gone so far as to put copies out by each scoring machine on one or two occasions (usually at the beginning of the day when I don't have much else to do as I wait for the first people to wander in - regional event often don't provide the same "stampede to the inspection table when the doors first open" experience as a NAC).

ktinoue3 likes this.
  10. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I like the Post-It note idea. For local RYC, etc., it would be quick and efficient method of distributing the information to everyone. Just put a Post-It on each scoring machine. Something new to add to the tool case.

11. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Some of the Dollar Store-type ones were awesome. I remember a youth event that used an umbrella drink stamp. :cool:

12. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

My favorite was an RYC where the stamp was Winnie the Pooh - upon seeing it one girl told me that her brother would be fencing the next day and asked me to put TWO stamps on HIS mask. :D

ReadyFence and ktinoue3 like this.
  13. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I don't have the time or patience to come up with unique ink stamps for local RYC/ROC/RJCC tournaments. Normally for a season, I'll be at 7 to 8 of these tournaments. If a tournament sponsor wants a special inspection stamp for his event, I'll tell them to come up with the stamps (2 usually needed) and make sure that they are a certain size (1.5" x 1.5" maximum). I'll give him a rough cost estimate for a pair of stamps, where he can he get them made, etc.

The other option is that I use the RibType stamps which I already own 2 sets. We agree on the lettering and it's a freebie. I can't recall a time where the RibType stamps weren't chosen. The tournament sponsors generally have way too many other things like entries, scoring machines, venue, etc. to deal with.

The same is true for tagging the body and mask cords. I already have a couple of modified bag sealers and will provide the tape for them. If the tournament sponsors wants to use adhesive inspection stickers (or tie wraps) instead, I tell them that they're responsible for printing up ~1,000 stickers (or buying the tie wraps) and we're going to need an extra person at the inspection table to do nothing other than put the stickers (or tie wraps) onto the cords. That usually puts an end to using stickers.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  14. Don Treanor

Don Treanor Rookie

I was at a tournament once where the armorer used a sharpie and their initials.

15. neevel

neevel Armorer

I bought a couple of RibType stamps and letter sets, the same as are kept with the NAC inspection items. While it can be nice to get a custom stamp for a big event, the RibType simplifies coming up with a unique stamp for each event greatly.

Bag tapers are about $20-25 apiece, plus the time you spend modifying them (unscrewing the built-in bag end cutter and cutting the triangular openings to fit body cord plugs in its place). There will also be an initial outlay of $30-60 to get a supply of tape rolls of different colors, but once purchased that supply should last for at least a couple of seasons if you're doing local events plus a few regional events.

ktinoue3 likes this.
  16. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Or the date, or a stick figure, or to use DHCJr's fave, a backwards/inside out O. So long as the mark is consistent, anything is really ok.

'Course, when I worked the Linkmeyer at USC this year, I used a sharpie and made the mark an L for Linmeyer...in blue.

The UCLA guys weren't entirely amused....hahahahahahaaa! (that's what yo get for having the event on the 2nd floor of a building with long stairs on NO elevator...and making the vendor's parking in a different part of the campus...it was a LONG setup and load)

17. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

But was your workspace in the restroom? The Fencing Post was, once, at a SoCal SYC...

18. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Oh God...I remember that. The Stroh Memorial maybe 3 years ago.

We had more room in the armory with three of us and a trainee!

19. brtech

brtech Podium

We used to use laser printed labels which we would apply to the body of the 3 pin cord for local tournaments. They did not come off. It did take a second or two longer to peel them off the backer, but they were easy to customize. If you have the bag taper, it's the way to go. The reason we insist on removing old tape is so we can reuse the color. ALWAYS get fencers to remove old tape.

Tie wraps have another problem: they tend to cause wear in the outer insulation under or immediately below where they are applied. Less of an issue if applied loosely, but most people who use them cinch them tight, Bad idea.

Michaels stores usually have a couple of reasonable stamps. They often have a bargain bin that I've used often. Custom rubber stamps are cheap enough if you remember to do it. I often use simonstamp.com

20. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Not a problem on Leon Paul's bodies? I address-label all my equipment, but they don't adher to LP's.