wanted: sabers that have sensors or captors from back in the day

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by esgrima, Aug 1, 2018.

1. esgrima

esgrima Made the Cut

I recently bought a Leon Paul wireless box and it's pretty cool. We are moving off the strip and playing with reduced ROW rules and / or without them. We do saber and would like to adquire an old box back when the sabers had sensors to detect the cutting action. I understand these were problematic but I don't care. I want to take wireless technology and correct cutting technique to make my own game. Also, is there anybody here who could develop something along the lines of the LP's wireless box, with adjustable lockout times so the user can set it to however many miliseconds he feels cool, and incorporate the idea of quality of hit i.e. correct cutting with the edge detection? I know it's a lot to ask but I think this kind of fencing is going to grow.

2. jkormann

jkormann Podium

You'll need a copy of VSM. It allows you to make all sorts of timing adjustments. If you want wireless, you'll need an EnPointe system, or deal with using wires for now.
    You may be able to use a non-conductive material on the edges and back of the sabre blade to only allow touches using the front-edge. Shoo-goo or a varnish (nail polish) may work.

As for the higher goal, why do you think the sport needs to be changed in the direction you're looking?

3. Grey Sabreur

Grey Sabreur Made the Cut

Better phrased - sabre changed back to it's original principles.

4. jkormann

jkormann Podium

We'll need a bigger salle for the horses.

5. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Especially if you re-instate the fleche!

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

That should please the old Cav guys...

7. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

Yup, VSM + EnPointe. VSM will let you vary the lockouts however you want, EnPointe lets the host box apply the lockout timings. Then if you want only edge cuts, maybe enamel coating or powder coating the blade followed by sanding it off the designated cutting edges. Sounds interesting.