W ketchup

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by felicote, Jul 26, 2004.

1. felicote

felicote Rookie

I think this is the most stupid thing i've seen in a long time, maybe even more stupid than the freedom fries.

W ketchup

2. Stylothek

Stylothek Rookie

I'm sorry to say but that is just SO American. The patriotism seems to be getting a bit out of hand, my cousin from the U.S. proves it aswell. The other day he told me that the Vietnam War was never lost but a tie between both countries. I'm sorry I can't agree with that. The USA did not succeed in their effort to protect South Vietnam from the communistic north.

3. prototoast

prototoast Podium

Yeah, but it wasn't a war so we couldn't lose!

4. Peach

Peach Podium

It's a particular strain of American party name-calling which is prevalent right now, too--the implication that being a Democrat is by definition anti-American. Leaves a nasty taste in my mouth, and it ain't tomato.

5. Iwant2bafencer

Iwant2bafencer Rookie

Patriotic Ketchup I'm alright with. However it really bothers me when the political parties have to resort to name calling of a sort.

6. esskreemr

esskreemr Din Älskling

It is disturbing to know that there are quite a few people who think along these lines.

There is a difference between patriotism and nationalism. Unfortunately ( or fortunately depending on how you view it), this problem doesn't just manifest itself in America. Every country has this problem, some worse than others. Some lead to people laughing in a forum, others lead to World Wars. It's amazing how often politicians repeat the mistakes of the past...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/world/2003-07-18-french-email_x.htm

7. HillBilly

HillBilly Rookie

I'm sorry, but i'm really ashamed of my country... W Ketchup? It has to be a joke!

D'you know what?
    John Kerry's wife owns... Heinz!
    And who's the biggest ketchup producer? Heinz!
    Why is it called W ketchup? Bush's middle name!
    They're trying to make people buy "all-american-vote-for-bush-ketchup"
    This is ridiculous! It's like a conspiracy! *AGHH!*

8. HillBilly

HillBilly Rookie

Holy Hand Grenades! The whole world is going to make fun of us! It's all over the world! Russia, India, Kuwait, France, England, South Africa. . . It has to be a hoax... it has to be! otherwise i'm going to start buying ONLY Heinz products :)

Edit: Alright never mind, now I know it's a joke...
    http://www.wketchup.com/comments/ <- it just has to be.

Edit of Edit: Wait.. maybe it isn't! you can actually order some!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  9. dunastor

dunastor Rookie

Quote from the site:

That strikes me as odd too...
    I always thought people agreed the Cold War was just silly, and grew up..

Guess some people still need growing up...

10. HillBilly

HillBilly Rookie

Wait, no-one won the cold war! I thought it just... Disapperated. :) 'course I could be wrong... as usual... :(

11. fixxmyweapon

fixxmyweapon Rookie

out of all things, ketchup?! why ketchup? it is pretty funny tho....

12. Peach

Peach Podium

You know, it's so bizarre that I am starting to think it must be a hoax--it reminds me of the bonsai kittens, though subtler . . . some of the "comments" give it away.

13. esskreemr

esskreemr Din Älskling

14. esskreemr

esskreemr Din Älskling

Actually, the W stands for Washington. The Repubs are using nationalism in the hopes that they can get conservatives (left or right) to "stand behind the President in this time of war". If they can stir up enough nationalistic fervor, they can hide many other things...

15. onesandzeros

onesandzeros Rookie

Funny, 'cause most of the Heinz family is republican. I'm sure they are all going d'oh! right about now.

16. HillBilly

HillBilly Rookie

oops... I feel dumb :)

Because John Kerry's wife owns Heinz Ketchup.

17. prototoast

prototoast Podium

W stands for Washington is what they officially claim. Ultimately, it seems pretty obvious that they're aware that W will also make most people associate it with President Bush.

18. HillBilly

HillBilly Rookie

oh good! so I was right! :) I like that better!

19. Soldier

Soldier Podium

The ketchup thing is dumb if the people meant it seriously; funny if they meant it to be a gag gift for die-hard Republicans. I might just have to get some for my old instructor.

The Star-Spangled Ice Cream is just funny. I don't care which countries you like or not; how can you not find those ice cream flavors entertaining? "I Hate the French Vanilla"? I'm sorry, that's just funny.

The Cold War pretty much ended when the Soviet Union imploded. There is wide consideration that the Soviet Union imploded because it tried restructuring itself economically. It tried restructuring itself economically because the Star Wars race was driving it bankrupt. Reagan started Star Wars, and it is also widely considered that he may have done so specifically to drive the Soviet Union to bankruptcy. Hence, the idea that Reagan won the Cold War. I think it makes sense, but of course it's up for interpretation.

The military won Vietnam. They never lost a battle, lost ground only when they deliberately retreated of their own choice, and were ahead in the final body count. The politicians, unfortunately, lost it for them. Military objectives were achieved; political ones were given away.

The French fiasco with "e-mail" isn't necessarily just anti-American; it's part of their fanatical obsession with keeping their language absolutely the same throughout all the centuries. They've got an entire Ministry for it.

20. Artisan

Artisan Rookie

Doesn't anyone remember "Billy Beer" or is my age showing?

Ok, I did some GoogleWork...came up with this:

The W ketchup is made by the Fremont Company in Fremont Ohio. Quite possibly, W Ketchup and Heinze may be the same sh!t, or at least may be packaged in the same plant.

"The Fremont Company bottles millions of gallons of ketchup for private label customers ..."

And...

"The Fremont plant does production for private-label accounts including Kroger, Aldi, Save-A-Lot and Certified, as well as co-packing for a couple of national brands."

(http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/heinz.asp)

"...Currently, 60% of the sales of the H.J. Heinz Company are outside the United States and to accommodate those customers by providing facilities closer to those markets... In the United States, Heinz makes its flagshipketchup in factories in Fremont, Ohio; Muscatine, Iowa; and Stockton, California. "