VSM Video Replay app - beta test

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Privateer, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

Mr VSM has been working on a video replay app that synchs up with a VSM strip. It's not available for public consumption yet, still working out all the kinks, but it's pretty close. Last night we recorded someone running the app. The video isn't great, I don't do this for a living, hopefully it gives an idea of what it can do.

Mac A. Bee likes this.
  2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

I want, I want, I want! :) Please re-vid or describe the settings screen, which appeared blurry. I *love* the filter that transformed the foilista on the right into a coach. ;)

Privateer likes this.
  3. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

is this better?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mac A. Bee likes this.
  4. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Is the future of this that the referee or some assistant referee would be filming the bout as it happens so any local tournament or random bout being fenced could have instant replay capabilities? Because that's really awesome.

Privateer likes this.
  5. SenorEquis

SenorEquis DE Bracket

Especially if it didn't require VSM. Nothing against VSM, just that it would be awesome to be able to use this as a standalone.

6. David Sierra

David Sierra DE Bracket

Yea. I'm looking forward to this.

Privateer likes this.
  7. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

I suppose that's one use case, yes. You definitely would need a someone else. We've tried to record and ref at the same time, and it's really hard to do well.

you can also run in 'coach mode' to just view a bout, scroll back and forth, see time, touches, slo-mo at will, etc etc.

8. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

without the data stream from the VSM, you're not really getting any benefit from the app. just record with any video device at that point.

K O'N likes this.
  9. SenorEquis

SenorEquis DE Bracket

If the app can quickly create replays of the last action at full speed and the standard slow-motion speed (80%?) then it would be a lot more useful for official reviews than other video devices.

10. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

sure, but it doesn't know where the touches are without the data stream from the scoring machine.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  11. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Could you have it where the ref watches the video instead of the bout? Then if you wanted to even, have all calls be briefly video viewed before making a ruling, with only the ones where something interesting happens be reviewed more in depth. The biggest issue might be things being missed on the small screen and the lack of sound in replay (an issue that exists in any replay but would be compounded by the lack of any live element unless the brain is capable of lining up real world sound with phone picture video, which might be possible).

12. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

I suppose if you had a big enough device and a competent video-person, you could ref through video. Maybe use a chrome-cast to send the phone video to a TV, so it could work, I guess. I don't know how the latency would be.

I thought the reply does have sound, I deleted all the recordings on my own phone, but I'll record some and check later tonight.

13. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

NAC video refs are required to watch live-action *before* video review.

14. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Requirements are not permanent.

15. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

can confirm, there is audio in the replay mode.

16. steeliejunkie

steeliejunkie Rookie

I can tell you from first hand experience officiating DEs at NACs, you do not want to solely rely on the action from the video. Nothing is as good as seeing it the first time with sound in real life. Confirm your thoughts with video. Don't make your decision entirely from it. The video quality is just not there yet to see the blade actions perfectly.

erik_blank likes this.
  17. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

Are there any plans to release a computer version to go along with a VSM system? I'd love to use something like this with our high res 60/120 fps HDMI capture system with our current cameras and computers and large screens.
    Any clever ideas on putting it up on the VSM monitor?

18. JS Hart

JS Hart Made the Cut

Update: pretty much done tweaking the app. It was used at a recent ROC in SoCal 2 weeks ago with very good results. I've now added a couple of controls to the UI to facilitate referee use (to wit: getting quickly from recording to reviewing and back.)

I've also ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (8" tablet with a medium-decent camera for about $240 (refurbished) as a test platform. Cheap, since the S3 is now the flagship.) It's a good compromise between big enough for review, and small enough to film with. Although, at the ROC, none of the refs even mentioned the size of the phone we were using... One of the phones used was my old phone: a Samsung Galaxy S5, another one belonging to the head ref was an S6 or 7 (I believe.) Another was my current phone, a Nexus 5x (which has a great camera and Android 7.) Another was a 10" tablet (an older Samsung Tab S.)

I'm thinking I'll post the app on Google Play once I've seen how it looks on the newer tablet. I'll price the app at $1.99. How's that?

There is still one issue that still puzzles me. I've used the app while screen-casting to a big TV, and it works well with my Nexus 5X running Android 7. But with my older Galaxy S5 (running Android 6) the cast video is grainy, almost like looking at it through a screen door. Another local SoCal coach is using the beta app as a training tool in his club with a Galaxy S6 (Android 6) and casting to fire-tv with no problems and excellent quality, though.

Screen-casting does induce a little latency; like about a second or two. But the only one seeing the latency is the guy operating the camera/playback device...Once the replay starts, it really makes no difference to those watching the big screen.

There's also now an "export" function (for Android 5 and above) that lets you export a re-recording of the replay video plus the scoring machine overlay lights/time/score and save the re-recording (including a voice-over if you want, since the mic is live during the re-recording.) The combined video is an mp4 saved in the normal DCIM folder on the device (which is where pictures and videos normally are saved.) In some cases, the exported video also has the "grainy, screen door" artifact using some of the devices. Not on my Nexus, though. The video artifact seems to be device dependent, rather that OS dependent so far. Anybody of you techno-geeks have knowledge of this video artifact?

None-the-less, I'm going to put it out soon. Hopefully the video artifact will get resolved as the devices and/or OSes progressively improve. iOS version will come after that...

--J. S. Hart
    VSM guy.

Privateer likes this.
  19. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Badgermille-posting soon?

20. JS Hart

JS Hart Made the Cut

the Stro, in Pasadena.