Video Question

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by Inquartata, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

There is fencing. The referee makes a call and awards the touch. One fencer requests video review. It is discovered that the system did not function and there is no video of the action.

So the touch awarded is withdrawn? Is this correct?

2. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

There's an entry in the Referees Commission rules blog that discusses this situation: http://www.refereescommission.org/blog/2017/11/
    It says that there is no explicit rule, but the FIE guideline is that the referee's decision stands, but the fencer is not "charged" for the appeal.

3. keropie

keropie Podium

No. Without available video, the call stands, and the fencer retains their challenge.

4. swordwench

swordwench is a Verified Fencing Expertswordwench Podium

What is *supposed* to happen is that if the action is not captured on video, the call made by the referee stands.

That said, I saw at least one instance of no video leading to an overturned call (i.e., no call) in Richmond this past weekend. (There were replay malfunctions on the finals strip, from what I heard.) Is this what you were referring to?

5. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

The pertinent answer is in this blog entry from 2017, I believe:

http://www.refereescommission.org/blog/2017/11/rules-blog-using-video-replay/

I'll quote: In the case of video failure, the on-strip referee has sole responsibility for the final decision. If they have already given a decision before a video appeal, that decision stands. However, the fencer making the appeal retains their challenge.

AStoddard and Gav like this.
  6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yes.

There were a lot of people saying "What?!" when that happened.

7. swordwench

swordwench is a Verified Fencing Expertswordwench Podium

Yes, this confused me as well. But maybe sabre now has a special dispensation from the Pope.