VETS Check-In

Discussion in 'USA Veteran Fencing' started by sme321, Jun 10, 2017.

1. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

45. Male. Northern Kentucky. About 15 years of experience over last 30 years of life. Started fencing in Yugoslavia in the 1980's, did well on JR circuit. Home fell apart, took a life break, moved to UK, fenced there a bit, got married, moved to USA, took a life break, fenced in college (UVA), took a life break. Started NKY Fencing Academy (NKFA) almost 6 years ago, after a 8 year break from fencing. Epee only, about 35 members strong. Host 5-6 tourneys every season now. Competing locally only at this time and bringing epee back to Cincinnati Metro area!. BTW, our salle is above a coffee shop and a rum/moonshine/bourbon distillery!!!

Privateer likes this.
  2. tbryan

tbryan Podium

Men, Vet 40s. Focusing on foil for now, but I still pick up an epee sometimes. To saber, I go not. Joined a fencing class in 1991 through the local park district. Started competing foil in 1992. I have 15 - 20 years of experience since then. I fenced off-and-on during college and then a couple of 3- to 5-year breaks with no fencing at all after I graduated. I've done some assistant coaching. I referee from time to time but rarely nationally.

I returned from my most recent hiatus about 5 years ago. I'm currently just focused on competing, but I've been mostly not competing since April 2017 because of work. I am currently fencing with Mid-South Fencers in North Carolina.

I've been posting to f.net for quite some time, too. :)

Privateer likes this.
  3. AndrewCotlar

AndrewCotlar Rookie

50-year old primarily foil (C rated) but also epee occasionally. Started at 13 under Mark Holbrow, Bucks County Academy of Fencing. Fenced at Vassar College, went to grad school in Wisconsin, fenced regionally, gave up grad school, married, went to grad school again and continued to fence, enjoyed the primarily adult league in DC as a lawyer and fencer, lived minutes from Virginia Academy of Fencing. Moved back to Philly region and still fenced but now with the geezers league of gentlefolk. Splitting my time among numerous clubs to get diverse fencing in. Sticking mostly to Vet tourneys now. Totally addicted to this sport, as my loving and tolerant spouse can attest. I have two teens now, one of whom also fences, which warms the cockles of my heart.

4. damianip

damianip Podium

60 year old male. Been fencing 20 years this time around. Almost always epee, however, recent improvements in health and conditioning might compel me to pick up a saber (just for fun, but it was my first weapon, long, long ago) Also referee, coach and armorer. In PA just over the river from NJ.

5. Foxbat

Foxbat Made the Cut

Kids... (Sigh...)

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

:eek:

7. Nakita

Nakita Made the Cut

Started fencing 2014 at age 49.
    I wanted to fence since I went to French camp in the 80's.
    But there wasn't really anyplace to do it where I lived.