VETS Check-In

Discussion in 'USA Veteran Fencing' started by sme321, Jun 10, 2017.

1. sme321

sme321 Rookie

I'm just curious who We Vets actually are ...... Age Group; Gender; Location; Weapons Fenced; Fencing Experience; Etc.

As for me: 55+; Male; California; Epee; Introduced to Fencing in college during the mid-80's, then drifted away as career took priority. Started again in 2006, did a little competing, and stopped again in 2010 when minor physical issues began to affect my work. Started again a year and a half ago when I retired, and have competed a few times. Great fun and source and motivation to stay fit.

mpego1 likes this.
  2. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Yo.

mpego1 likes this.
  3. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Began in seventh grade. Fenced all three over the years, though compete mostly in foil these days. Armourer and ref.

mpego1 likes this.
  4. Black Widow

Black Widow Made the Cut

60. Female. Sabre, New Jersey. Competed in several sports as an adult, and enjoyed a semester fencing at the local community program about 20 years ago. Six years ago when I had to sell my horse I remembered how much I liked fencing and joined a local club. Started competing last year.

Privateer and mpego1 like this.
  5. keropie

keropie Podium

Male, 40, primarily foil, NC. Started when I was 12, as a hobby. Fenced in high school and college, assistant coach at the university for a while. Fence some saber, and some REALLY bad epee on occasion, mostly foil. Took a 10+ year break when the timing changed, and I still think the timing change made for worse foil (and saber, honestly, though at least that timing change has been mitigated somewhat).

Starting competing in Veteran events this year (foil only); one good weekend, one bad weekend, but still having fun.

6. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

V40MF, Southern California. Started fencing when I couldn't bring myself to play roller hockey any more.
    My experience is frustratingly long enough that I should be better than I am. I can't seem to peak at the right times to maximize my competitive schedule.

mpego1 likes this.
  7. Downtown

Downtown DE Bracket

V60ME Started at age 51. 65 now. It has been a "rough row to hoe', but is still my passion.

mpego1 and Privateer like this.
  8. mpego1

mpego1 Rookie

Male 56 - Prefer Sabre, but will fence some Epee & Foil, but may only compete in Sabre anymore - started in Essex Catholic in Newark N.J. back in 1976 in my junior year, started foil, was drafted to Sabre team and one of my bigger regrets in life was not starting as a freshman because I could not find the nerve and answer the call. Love Sabre, respect Epee and Foil kicks my ass, because I don't understand ROW well enough and have difficulty coming up with deep 2nd & 3rd intention tactics for Foil - that weapon is a bitch. Knees are hurting from the pounding of the jumping and lunging in Sabre, but am unwilling to quit...its just too much fun! Currently fence in Dunedin recreation center on Thursday nights in Florida, and am hoping to get back into some local competitions again if work and health allow.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Privateer likes this.
  9. mpego1

mpego1 Rookie

Ho...a fencers life for me...;-)

Strytllr and Black Widow like this.
  10. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

42 in St. Louis. I fence primarily foil and epee. too many chronic injuries on my right arm to adequately fence decent saber anymore. I started fencing at 18 in college, loved it ever since. Started my own club called Buccaneer Blades Fencing 10 years ago to introduce mid-western suburbanites to the sport. :) That's actually going quite well. But I don't get to compete as much anymore because of that.

11. fenceart

fenceart Rookie

Just checking in for anything new.... and here's a Veteran Forum! Yay! Sometimes I feel as if we slide between the cracks. I am female, VF50 and sometimes saber if I feel like it. Started late in life- fencing always appealed to me though I knew nothing about it. Finally in 2001, at age 42, I took lessons an clumsily tortured my coach for 7 years. I enjoyed the drills and learning things, but I didn't understand a damn thing, really. Began competing after a dry demo about 9 years ago and was hooked. Got by competing somehow, by, well, the seat of my knickers. Never thought I'd amount to much out there, just fenced for fun - and I love the sport, the people I meet and the events I attend. Was thrilled to make the Vet50 team in 2016. I hope I can fence for another 20 years.

Privateer, Shivi and mpego1 like this.
  12. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Rookie

55, soon to be 56. Just started fencing foil in March because my 14 year old who had been fencing for 2 years decided to take a break and she had 5 private lessons which were paid for that were going to expire. So I grabbed her gear and her knickers and shoes fit, so I took the lessons instead. Hooked. I now fence 4-5 hours a week and usually have a private lesson every week or 10 days. I was a competitive athlete many years ago and I love this sport. I'm going to do some of the ROC events in the early winter and hope to not embarrass myself or my coach in Richmond in the Spring.

13. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

55 fits into 14 y.o.'s kit? Impressive!:)

Privateer likes this.
  14. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Rookie

Only her knickers and shoes - needed my own jacket and lame. I've lost 98 pounds in the last year. I think I may weigh less than she does now. But thanks. It made me feel pretty good.

15. Shivi

Shivi Made the Cut

Nice to see this forum appear.
    52, female, Canada (although I do occasionally get the chance to fence some of you 'Murricans). Started in '76 with foil of course as I had an old-school coach - but these days also epee to maximize opportunities to fence. Competed in sabre for a few years but sold all my gear when I thought I'd quit fencing for good (again) and now can't really justify the expense of kit for all 3 weapons. I really enjoy the cameraderie of veterans fencing. So glad to have discovered it!

16. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Rookie

We grey hairs have to stick together!

mpego1 likes this.
  17. DocVic

DocVic Rookie

Just turned 60 and now young again in V60 ME.
    I started in college (Princeton under Stan Sieja), and fenced for 2 years until I got married. Then kids and medical school and suddenly 20y later my 12yo eldest wanted to fence. We fenced together for a couple years until he found golf and girls, then I stopped. 9 years later my second son wanted to try fencing, so we fenced together for a couple years, and competed a little. Then he found golf and girls and I stopped again. Six years ago, my wife got tired of me huffing and puffing and having trouble tieing my shoes due to ice cream panniculus, and got me lessons and a new epee. Now 6 years later, 20 lbs lighter, and having a ball! My goal then was to get a C rating and go to Nationals. I got a B 3 years ago, and have been to Nats 3 times. All that time off, my knees and other joints are still in ok shape. A little plantar fasciitis here and there. Great new friends, great coaches (Bob and Carolyn at Oklahoma Sport Fencing). Maybe onto the podium some day...

18. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Hope to see you on the circuit. There are a couple of other vet docs - most notably our surgeon V50/60ME World Champion using his non-dominant hand. Also ER Olympian Ann Marsh-Senic.

19. tsbphd

tsbphd Rookie

My first post on this forum.

Mid-50s, male, epee and foil fencer; but epee is my true love. Fenced in college and largely forgot about it for decades afterwards only to start up again relatively recently. I am happy to see a Veteran forum on these boards.

Privateer likes this.
  20. Hentzau

Hentzau Rookie

56, male. Now epee and sabre. Introduced to French foil in college, dropped it along with nearly everything else to get a life. Got life back together, found out that Ralph Faulkner was still alive - at the time the last living Olympian- and got my butt down there quick! "Boss" couldn't always remember my name and he held himself up with his left hand on the barre, but his fingerwork could kick my ass. But hey - I had the same fencing teacher as Errol Flynn for a while.
    Found out about the Italian school - whoo hoo! Renaissance street fighting! Found that there was an Italian foil instructor in Culver City - went there for a while; he was a great instructor in the School of Dirty Tricks. Still love the Italian techniques, though my lessons are in the French vocab. I'd been messing about with sabre all along. Dropped fencing again to concentrate on career, twenty years later the career is going well and now I'm back.
    But since I've never fenced electric before, please forgive a lot of what will seem like stupid questions.

Privateer and Grey Sabreur like this.