Veteran World Championships - October 8-14

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Ancientepee, Oct 5, 2018.

1. NKFA

NKFA Made the Cut

~~What I find curious is that the referee halts the play in the 2nd period with 2:20 left on the clock to call non-combativity. Someone check me on that?~~
    Yes, I saw that. That was weird. Still had at least 20 seconds left before minute with no touches mark. Walter looked confused as well.

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Darryl Taylor perhaps? He bought a new blade from me just before he left for Italy.

Edit: NM....Darryl was in the 60s and ended 17th.

3. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

So we're starting to pay attention. There seem to be questions about application of the non-combativity rules. The Vet 60 Men's epee mentioned above. And then I saw on the British forum:
    "Can someone tell me if the rules have changed? In the first period of the final, there was an off-target light at 2.13. Then at 1.44 (that's 29 seconds later) the ref calls for non-combativity and they're moved straight into the 2nd period."

And the issues with posting on the VET 70 men's epee. Is it actually possible that they haven't finished and that's why the finals aren't posted?

????

4. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

Presumably the bout in question was foil, since they mentioned an off-target light. It's my understanding that, at the international level, off-targets in foil do not reset the non-combativity clock.

5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

That sounds awfully similar to the gold medal bout of the Sydney, Australia Vet World Championships...down to the same two fencers.

6. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Oooh, then Walter should have known what to do.

But what about the non-combativity call?

7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

As to that I can't say, just that the bout between those two in Sydney 10 years ago went very similarly: Dragonetti v Fischer, passive bouncing and waving until non-combativity was called, then same again in the second period, then a flurry of action in the last period.

Edit: I just watched the video of the bout. And yep, that's just about how it went between those two in 2007. Walter was a bit more active with his movement and blade action this time, but otherwise it was pretty much a carbon copy of the gold medal bout in the Sydney Vet Worlds. :eek:

I will probably never understand epee. ( Nor wish to do. )

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  8. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Do you have a cite on that? I tried looking through the FIE's published English rulebook to no avail.

9. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Going into these Worlds I thought that what I was seeing on the Livorno website was just the usual fluff. But now I'm beginning to change my opinion of the Italians. What I'm thinking is that either they are incompetent or disrespectful of VETS. The VET70 men's epee results show the ladder out to the round of 16 but not the final results or ladder. It's been that way all day and there's no way that the event wasn't concluded. I'm going to be very interested in the reports of how this event overall went compared to others when our guys get back.

10. Montoya

Montoya DE Bracket

The site is not very well set up but the results are there. At the top of the page is a link that says "See with Engarde Smart". If you click on that you will find all the results for the event. I do think that the link to medal counts "Click here to see the prizes" is bizarre in English. Hard to believe that they couldn't figure out how to word it properly in English. They could have used the language from the Maribor site (which is still active).

11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Perhaps they simply didn't care very much? I mean, Italian is the best, right? Does anything else really matter? :D

12. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Delia and Jane in the V60WS final!

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Wow....Delia pretty dominant...+20 indicator in pools, came out ranked 1st, and only one really difficult fight in the semis.

Has Jane won the gold before? I know Delila has.

14. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Jane 10 Delia 8

15. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Answers my question then!
    Congrats to both!

16. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Here's what I have as the complete medals awarded for the individual events and the medals for all but the last two team events that'll be tomorrow.

Attached Files:

17. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

t.124 Unwillingness to Fence (Non-combativity)...2. Excessive distance (greater than the distance of an advance-lunge) for at least 15 seconds. When both fencers make clear their unwillingness to fence, the Referee will immediately call “Halt!”

18. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Yes, you're right. Just that it's different than all the other events I clicked on which took you straight to the final results.
    Hewitt and Goosens are 14 & 15th respectively and Dwain Blakley didn't make it out of the 64. Oh well.

Now to start the new season.

19. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

From the beginning of the period? Thought that Dragonnetti was moving in and out. His opponent was pretty static, i.e. would move forward but not particularly mobile.

20. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Yes.