VET fencing organizations, trusts, funds

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jjefferies, Jun 13, 2018.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

I'm interested in putting together a picture of what organizations, trusts etc exist to support VET fencing in the US and for that matter in the rest of the fencing world. And I would appreciate input from anyone who knows of any such organizations, trusts or whatever.

best regards
    J. Jefferies

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

NYC's Fencers Club's (military but most also age-wise) Vets-on-Guard program.

3. Montoya

Montoya DE Bracket

Mac A. Bee, you realize jjefferies is asking about fencers over the age of 40, not those who served in the military, right?

And jjefferies, I think that the fund that Usmanov set up was supposedly going to help fund Vet Fencing in some way, but I have never heard any follow-up on that. Rita Comes is in your division - I suggest you ask her. British Veteran fencers have their own national organization, independent of the BFF. I know of no organization that specifically supports Veteran fencing in the US. In our Division, we award international travel grants to help defray expenses to fencers who qualify to fence internationally - and that includes Vet fencers who go to Worlds.

4. Mac A. Bee

All but one V60ME. One V40ME.

5. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Hi and thanks for the info. Today I had a chance to talk with Bill Walker, who is now the VET chairman for USA Fencing. Bill has assured me that Don Anthony does put weight on VET opinion and that Bill has personally been pulled in to work on several committees so that a VET voice is present. Which gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling that maybe the world is changing. In the recent past I've heard other opinions from past VET chairmen. But I'm still interested in what I can learn. So I'll try to reach Rita.

BTW, how MFP locates obscure (at least to me) websites is still a mystery. But he did suggest http://fencing-future.com/cntnt/eng/fehtovanie10/veterany1.html
    which gives as decent history as I've yet found. And a post on the British Fencing Forum elicited the comment "I believe Veteran Fencing was the brainchild of Henry de Silva: his contact details are on the BVF website.".

BTW, I've never heard of "Usmanov fund". Any clues about it?

I'm just putting out the info which I come up with in case anyone else is at all curious.

6. Mac A. Bee

Surprised by the early '70s German beginnings, as I was fencing there then, but - pre-Internet - didn't hear of it. It was hard enough to find a fencing club that wasn't Academische mensur, outside of Tauberbischofsheim's, which was remote without the later-developed Autobahns.

7. Montoya

Montoya DE Bracket

Alisher Usmanov is an Uzbek born Russian billionaire (and reportedly a member of Putin's inner circle), who has been the head of the FIE since 2008. His election - and his purchase of a large interest in the Arsenal Football Club- are not without controversy. Prior to becoming head of the FIE, he founded the "International Fund for the Future of Fencing." (The history mfp posted came from their web site) Public information about the activities of this fund is scant. The last report of activities on their web site is from 2012. According to an FIE press release, the fund did purchase and donate a collection of rare Italian historical fencing books which it subsequently donated to the Italian Olympic committee. There are also several references to a separate fund linked to this charity of a "Specialized Endowment Fund to Support Veteran Fencing" funded to the tune of $10 million. However I can find no mention of how this money is being administered or used. Rita Comes may have some insight.

And yes, mfp is a genius. But google is a wonderful tool. Google "history veteran fencing" and the link he gave you is 7th from the top. Not so obscure.

Peach likes this.