Using a sabre mask for foil electric fencing?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Isaac Crawford POxon, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Isaac Crawford POxon

Isaac Crawford POxon Rookie

Hi all,
    So I fence both foil and sabre at my club, where we regularly do competitions with electrics, and I'm looking at competing in a few tournaments in the near future. Having used club masks up until this point, switching as needed, I'm now looking into buying my own equipment.
    My question is: I'm thinking about buying the LP X-Change sabre mask (https://www.leonpaul.com/catalog/product/view/id/5887/s/x-change-fie-contour-sabre-mask/category/69/), as it looks like a very well-made product and I love the ease of washing it offers. Due to the removable bibs on this line of masks, would I be able to also buy a foil bib (https://www.leonpaul.com/x-change-foil-lame-bib-classic.html) and just exchange the bibs as needed? Or will there still be connectivity between the bib and the mask causing face hits to score for foil bouts? And will using a sabre mask with a foil bib be tournament legal even if there's no connectivity problems?
    Many thanks,
    Isaac

2. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

In the USA you cannot have conductive mesh on a mask in electic Foil. There really isn’t a three weapon mask anymore. That being said I still highly recommend the xchange mask

3. neevel

neevel Armorer

M27.1 in the US Fencing rules specifies that for foil the mask mesh must be insulated (otherwise you risk having a sweat-soaked bib creating a conductive bridge between the lame and the mesh, which would cause mask hits to register valid).

The bibs for the foil/epee and sabre X-change masks are not cross-compatible- the channel on the mask and the sliding tongue on the bib are slightly different between the two. Having two different masks when you fence sabre and foil or epee is unavoidable.

4. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

That is good to know. Thank you

5. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

No more 3W masks, no more 3W gloves. what is our world coming to?
    I do wish that the fencing suppliers would quit advertising them as such though.

6. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Can't help with Sabre to anything else. But for Foil and Epee, the x-change mask with interchangeable bib is great.
    You'll need a dedicated Sabre mask..

7. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

If you're just fencing in your club, insulate your saber maks with duct tape that folds over the bottom of the bib.

8. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

No...if it's foil and bare metal is showing below the top of the barrel (like the tape's chewed away or screws are poking through). a hit lands on the bib and lame material ends up in contact with that bare metal spot, the hiut will not register at all.

9. dcchew

dcchew Podium

One option is to use a 800 newton glove without the lame cuff for 3-weapon use. Negrini, Leon Paul, and Absolute sell this style of glove.

10. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

Depends on what you are willing to put up with for club bouting and how much you are willing to spend for a mask in a secondary weapon.