USFA registration system for RYC/RJCC/SYC etc

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by HalfBlue, Jun 13, 2018.

1. HalfBlue

HalfBlue Rookie

A parent in our club just sent me this link - an event listing/registration page for a bunch of RYC/RJCC/SYC etc events:

https://member.usafencing.org/search/tournaments?page=1

Our club is hosting an event of this type later in the season, and I haven't heard anything from the USFA about using this portal to set up our event for registration, nor about the existence of this page to help our club members find & register for events. Did I just miss a memo? Are there any other tournament organizers out there who are similarly in the dark, or maybe not in the dark at all?

Thanks.

2. Privateer

Privateer Podium

3. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Good luck. I just had an amazingly frustrating time with the USA Fencing website. One of my perennial areas of complaint with the NO. But I couldn't find the USA Fencing contact list and had to go back to Google to locate it. Bless you Google.

4. naysayernyc

naysayernyc Made the Cut

A lot of tournaments are listed on the usfa website but askfred is so much better and easier to use. Most of the tournies listed are stubs right now - completely nonfunctional. Also, all that fun info about parking/hotels etc on askfred is no longer available. It used to be that you could see a list of all events and times in one spot. Now you can easily see the date but not the time for the events. You have to click for each event to see the times. This is clearly a backwards step.

5. naysayernyc

naysayernyc Made the Cut

And of course, since USFA could not fix its portal yet, I have to log on twice to register my two sons. Over a year after changing the USFA portal, they still cannot consolidate my account with two kids. My wife has an account and I have another so we can register both. We have club members with 4 or 5 kids fencing -they need that many accounts. With askfred you can add everybody all at once. I wonder how they are going to deal with kids fencing up 2 or more age groups because they qualify via national points. Traditionally on askfred, you would email the organizer after registering your kid for an alternative event. There is no email or contact info on the USFA site. 14 meters online should see an uptick in business since you will no longer be able to easily see results like askfred.

6. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Why they didn't give Peet a bundle of money to make their registration site is a mystery to me. Would have been better and (in the long run) cheaper.

7. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

I'm not sure why you have that issue. I have myself and my son on my USA Fencing account and was able to log in, sign both of us up for nationals in 3 different events (vet for me, y12 for him) this year and pay once for all 3. The system is set up to handle what you're talking about, but if it's not working for you, it might be a bug or glitch on your account, specifically. You should probably call them to see if they can fix that, if you haven't done so already.

Privateer likes this.
  8. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

From what I understand, both Peet and Dan Berke were supposed to be heavily involved in the structuring the new system... but the process has been very top secret for people who don't need to know...

9. naysayernyc

naysayernyc Made the Cut

Unfortunately, I have emailed multiple times since before Summer Nationals last year - each time getting a reply that they have not been able to fix things. What I want to do is add two fencers (both of my sons) to my account. I was able to add one (like you) but not both. My wife and I both do not fence. She had to create an account so the other son could register. I have to log on twice get both registered for national events (which for us has only been three events since last year SN '17, SN '18, March NAC). Now I have do this every stinkin' event. This also has happened to multiple other fencers at our club. Even event organizers are flying blind. I tried registering for an event in August and can't get them registered for two age levels up. I emailed the organizers and they don't quite know what to do yet.

teacup likes this.
  10. dberke

dberke Podium

Nope, we were not involved in designing the new system. I've provided some feedback as a user of the system, but that's about all.

Dan

11. jkormann

jkormann Podium

We didn't say you did it, we said we were going to blame you. :)

jdude97 and Inquartata like this.
  12. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Ah. My bad. Sorry for the confusion. :)

13. mfp

mfp Podium

No, the system is not set up (correctly) for what naysayernyc and those in similar situations want to do.

While the USA Fencing system can handle some event registration use cases, it doesn't support others. There are also cases where members can register for events but the system calculates and charges an incorrect amount.

14. teacup

teacup Podium

Wait until they turn 18, then there is another set of problems with the system.

15. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Made the Cut

I've tried, more than once, to register for events in September (regional) and cannot. My guess is because I haven't renewed my USAF membership for the next competitive year yet. Because USAF will not let me renew it yet. AAARGH!

16. HalfBlue

HalfBlue Rookie

Here's a little more info. The USFA is in the process of working with the early-season event organizers to get their tournaments set up in the new system. Until they're fullly set up it looks like fencers can't complete their registrations.

Events are listed here:
    https://member.usafencing.org/search/tournaments

Organizers of events later in the season will be contacted by the USFA once the early-season organizers have had time to work through the setup process and give the USFA feedback (and, for the USFA to have time to address any issues that come up during this phase).

So I guess everyone should just stay tuned....

17. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Gave it a try..
    1) They need to have a filter by region, not just Regional. AskFred has a great feature where I can look for 50-miles from my zip-code.
    2) Under Weapon, your selections include "Weapon". Type includes "Type".Whoops.
    3) The initial display should include the city / state. That's buried after clicking for 'Details'.
    4) The "Scope" should me a multi-select. I'd like to see Regional, Divisional, and Local events without having to re-search.
    5) When you select an event, there's a lot of dead clickable area.

My two-cents.

18. Zebra

Zebra Podium

And it lacks the "more info" page that FRED has. That's really important for things like registration and payment policies, whether you need to allow time for equipment check, and who to contact if you are interested in refereeing.

19. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

USFA...once again making a process that was easy with a program that did the work into a fubar.

SJCFU#2 likes this.
  20. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Do not expect what is essentially a government system to provide what a private enterprise system does.

jkormann likes this.