USA Fencing to Begin Ticketing

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jjefferies, Sep 20, 2018.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Just in case you haven't received the following:
    "USA Fencing to Begin Ticketing National Tournaments in 2018-19
    Beginning with the October North American Cup in Milwaukee, Wis., all USA Fencing national events will have ticketed admission.

Requiring ticketed and credentialed access to the North American Cups and National Championship events will support an increased security presence at tournaments, creating a safe environment for all participants, fans and family members. "
    Really we need more security?? I really would like to know more about what's been happening that would indicate we need more security. Have there been assaults, thefts? Just what is the impetus for these threats to our security? Then:

"During the 2018-19 season, all individuals who hold one of the following USA Fencing memberships will receive free access to all USA Fencing national events:
    • Competitive and Collegiate Competitive
    • Coach
    • Supporting
    • Life, Olympic Life and Paralympic Life
    • +CheckEd
    • International Competitive License
    Individuals who hold the memberships listed above must simply show their membership card onsite to receive a complimentary tournament pass for the duration of the event. "

Tournament passes for the October North American Cup may be purchased online at https://usafencingoctobernac.eventbrite.com or onsite at the tournament for $15. This tournament pass will give spectators access to all four days of competition."

Ah So!! a new revenue stream! Charge the ???? non-existent audience?
    My favorite coach years ago made a comment about our NGB. He said
    that If they were in charge of S*X as an olympic sport, Not only would they
    not be able to get an audience they'd be hard pressed to get participants.
    Sigh!

2. Zebra

Zebra Podium

So we'll see a lot of fencing parents taking out supporting memberships.
    And what about siblings and other children? Is USFA going to charge them too?

3. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Yes, they are. Parents, siblings, children, anyone without some kind of USFA membership.

Question- my competitive membership is currently expired, but my background check and SafeSport certs are good through the beginning of next season. Does that mean "+CheckEd?" There is no mention of "+CheckEd" anywhere on my profile as an option...

4. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophesy. With ticketing, they're going to need people to create the tickets, people to sell the tickets, and people stationed at every possible entryway to check that those entering have tickets or have one of the USFA memberships that don't require ticketing. Then they'll say that they needed the extra revenue from ticketing to pay for these people whose presence was required only because of ticketing. It will be interesting to see how ticketing impacts the speed and ease by which fencers, coaches, parents, spectators, referees, technicians, bout committee personnel, and vendors can enter the venue. It will also be interesting to learn if the USFA has considered the possibility of fraud (for example, a non-member using the membership card of a member who's not attending that day's events).

Inquartata likes this.
  5. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

Well might be worth ordering a membership card now......

6. damianip

damianip Podium

I assume we will just scan the ones we print out. They are crazy if they think we will all be ordering "official" membership cards

7. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

i am sure that will work. More the plastic cards hold up to abuse better.

8. jkormann

jkormann Podium

My son's TKD does this. I honestly believe that for a family with participating minors, one parent should get a free admission. Especially when they're so paranoid about child abuse, seems odd that they'll give the option of sending a minor in unaccompanied.

Privateer and CBS like this.
  9. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

Supporting membership is $25 a year. So as long as you are accompanying someone to two NACs it would be cheaper to just get the supporting membership.

Privateer likes this.
  10. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Well, as sad as this is, they've been moving toward this for a number of years now. And it will eventually do what they want, which is increase revenue, one way or the other...because who is going to start boycotting these tournaments just because of this?

11. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

This.

12. cfulmer

cfulmer Made the Cut

Well, ok. I'll say it.

This is idiotic. I'll send a crowbar to Colorado so sombody can pry his head out of his butt. Anybody want to help? That head is clearly so lodged in there that he will need several.

We've all had the experience at NACs where somebody starts up a conversation and we discover that they were just walking by, saw all the signage, and decided to come in and check it out. A NAC is a place where people develop an initial interest in fencing. My nephew started fencing BECAUSE he saw my son fence at a NAC -- if there had been an admission fee, that would not have happened. NACs are advertising for fencing.

This safety stuff is nonsense. Are they going to conduct background checks when people buy tickets? Or will they let any old child molester buy a ticket? And, will they secure the entire convention center, or just the exhibit halls? After all, kids are frequently running around in the hallways.

It's insulting. Parents spend $300-ish on the NAC, plus hotel, plane fare, meals and local transportation. They buy from vendors. And, they pay the membershp fee. They spend untold hours driving their kids back and forth to practice, pay club fees and coaching fees. They spend weekends dirivng their kids to local events, getting involved and supporting fencing at the grassroots. And, now, US Fencing has the chutzpah to say that those parents need to pay to see their kid fence.

13. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

It does if you pay the extra $20 to add it to your membership. I started last- and this-season as a Non-competitive +CheckEd ref then upgraded to Competitive (+CheckEd) to compete.

14. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Ok, so "+CheckEd" in and of itself is not a membership level, despite the misleading verbiage?

15. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

If you read the statement closely, you'll notice that it says you'll use a USFA membership to pick up a tournament ticket, so you won't actually be showing your card every time, just once per tournament.

16. teacup

teacup Podium

But will a ticket have to be shown every time someone enters the venue at each entry point? And to whom?
    Wristbands might be better than tickets.
    But still who is going to police everyone going in and out? Especially those venues where the restrooms are on the outside of the hall.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  17. jkormann

jkormann Podium

If it's run like the other events, you get a wristband when going through the gate. And I'm pretty sure if you're wearing a fencing uniform, you get waived through.

18. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

That was also my case. I saw a sign that said Olympic Fencing Trials, walked in, sat down, and watched for a while. I had never seen fencing before then. About two months later, I started attending college and the fencing team welcomed beginners. Two and a half years later I was NCAA individual champion and eight years after my "first Olympic Trials" (so to speak), I was on the US Olympic fencing team.

RebelFencer and SevenDad like this.
  19. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Yeah, I was reminded of that as soon as my wife got home and we started discussing the upcoming figure skating regionals. They charge admission for their qualifying events, but each athlete who registers gets a chaperone credential as well as their own credential.

Privateer likes this.
  20. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Definitely. And in Portland, where there was a craft fair going on in one of the other convention center halls, I spent more than a little time giving onlookers my standard demonstration spiel: "this is an epee, it's based on the classic dueling sword... the light goes on when the blade contacts the opponent's lamé ... hold it like this, and write your name in the air with the point."