USA Fencing SEMI Statement Regarding Saber Machine Timing

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by mtwieg2, Mar 22, 2018.

1. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

You're cheating! You're running actual tests with real fencers to inform discussion of potential technical changes! That's not allowed!

B

InFerrumVeritas and ReadyFence like this.
  2. brtech

brtech Podium

The sound test is NOT VALID. Whether the machine makes a sound when powered on in Saber DOES NOT tell you whether it's good or bad. There is some variation in the programming on specific series of machines that causes this variation but that doesn't tell you if the programming is updated or not. Some machines that pass the sound test have old timing. Some machines that fail the sound test have new timing. There is no simple way to tell if a machine is good or bad.

The current suspicion is that there is something wrong with the programmer Absolute used to perform upgrades on these machines. There is something highly suspicious about what is reported about this. All programmers I've ever seen do a checksum of the content of the memory after programming to make sure the programming was completed correctly. It should have been obvious that there was a problem.

I am told that US Fencing machines are not affected by this problem. All the machines we have are different series from the bad ones.

3. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

:oops:

4. 22hansen22

22hansen22 Made the Cut

When this issue arised a while ago, I developed a testing machine that makes sure the scoring machine is within the tolerances specified by the FIE,
    it wasn't my first intention to commercialize this testing box but if there is an interest on it, send us an email and will work with you (more accurate than dropping sabers at the same time ;) )
    Cheers!