USA Fencing Membership and Events Platform to Launch Regional Event Registration in 2018-19

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by TooLoftheDeviL, Sep 19, 2017.

1. TooLoftheDeviL

TooLoftheDeviL gother than thou

2. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Sounds like this is an adjustment to the earlier announcement that the USFA's tournament registration portal would be used for regional events starting Jan. 1. This is the first time I recall of a USFA article ever mentioning AskFred explicitly or its operators, so I wonder if this means they'll be helping in any way with the new system (wishful thinking).

3. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Wait, you mean USFA wasn't able to actually implement the system they told everyone they HAD to use?

Thank God.

4. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Won't have to use it yet. Check back next year.

5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Hard to believe, eh?

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Feint attack....

Black Widow likes this.
  7. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

My recollection, without searching, is that the same language was used in the previous announcement.

8. Mac A. Bee

A year later: Does it seem the NO ignored Peet's input? The UI has little of AskFred's functionality, e.g. classification or club sorting, viewing an event's total registrants at a glance.

9. CBS

CBS Rookie

The new system seems to have earlier regular registration deadlines and higher late registration fees. For one of the regional events I looked it, the regular date is 5 weeks in advance of the event registering late seems to quadruple the fees required. This seems extreme. I can't imagine many people are paying attention to this and the first deadlines are coming up next week for September events. I didn't see a recent email reminder from USFA but it's possible it was missed. Hope people don't get caught off guard on this ....

10. Mac A. Bee

NO broke a successful, popular system. Website redux. Contact your omnibudsperson.

11. Zebra

Zebra Podium

One way to discourage points-chasing....

12. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Does anyone have a link to the USFencing meeting minutes where this was discussed? Elections are coming up and I want to know who voted which way.

13. mfp

mfp Podium

Why do you believe those deadlines and fees are intrinsic to the new system and not just choices made by the organizers who are listing events in it? Some regional events list regular fee registration period deadlines as late as a week before their events.

All of the regional bid packets include wording along lines of ...

Late Entry Policy: Late entry fees are to be set at the discretion of the organizer, but must not exceed the triple fee amount. The late entry policy, including whether or not walk-in entries will be allowed, must be clearly stated in all materials and on all websites for each regional tournament

While there's lots and lots to hate about the new event registration system including how it does (or doesn't) work, how it was approved, mandated for use, (poorly) tested and supported, I'm not sure that it can be blamed for the unfriendly deadlines and fees some organizers have listed on it. Some of those organizers did the same thing on askFRED.

Privateer likes this.
  14. CBS

CBS Rookie

I don't pretend to know anything about what goes on behind the scenes, nor would I presume make assumptions about the motivations of the NO or others. I am just making a fairly straightforward observation based on experience registering for events over the years.
    Aren't the "Sanction Fee" and "Administration Fee new? As one example below, the Late Registration Fee is more than triple the regular fee; when one adds up the totals, they are exactly triple (the difference being made up by no change to the sanction fee), which I guess means that organizers are making up the difference with more than tripling the registration fees?
    I have not looked at every event, but am observing ones that are different from past years. We all do understand that organizers need to be able to plan in advance so some incentive for early registration makes sense. But I also know that there has been discussion on the forum about inhibiting participation because of high fees, and worry that this will only exacerbate the problem, particular for the younger fencers. Just mulling out loud ....

Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 11.19.20 PM.png

15. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

The sanction fee is the “head tax” collected from organizers (increased for this season); this merely breaks it out in a transparent manner. The administration fee is the cost charged for using the new system; it’s new but replaces the (lower) fee charged by AskFRED ($1.49?). The manual/paper application fee is a fee that has been assessed for offline entry to national events for some time, and now applies to sub-national events where registration is nationally-administered. Registration and event fees are what people familiar with these tournaments from the past would expect them to be.

B

16. Zebra

Zebra Podium

90 bucks for a regional event?

17. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

What the fees represent, not the amount of the fees.

B

18. Mac A. Bee

$5 for an inferior system vs. FRED's $1.49.:eek:

19. bbower

bbower DE Bracket

Just because you CAN charge $95 for a RYC doesn't mean you SHOULD charge $95 for a RYC.

oiuyt and Allen Evans like this.
  20. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

But really, if you can why wouldn't you?

Privateer likes this.