US National Logo Patches

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Inquartata, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

So I had to get a pair of those patches with the new USA logo to cover the old logos on my fencing pants.

The instructions say that they can be ironed on to hold them in place in addition to sewing them on. I will be sewing them down, but the instructions do not say what heat to use. I don't want to melt or burn them, or the pants, but usually iron-on patches use high heat. Does anyone know how to do this safely?

The pants are Uhlmann FIE, vintage 2004.

2. Mergs

Mergs Podium

I would use the cotton setting with no steam, but not rely on this totally to hold them on. it'd be a great way to hold them in place while sewing them on.

3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

To add to on to Mergs' comments. My mom used to tell me to always put an old t-shirt over the patch before touching with a hot iron. Just in case, the iron is too hot or the color material is not heat resistant enough.

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Thank you, gentlemen. I am going to sew them on, the ironing is only a secondary hold. And I would never put an iron straight onto them. Irons sometimes transfer stains, even if they look clean.