Unverifiable Rumors and Dubious Gossip About 2019 Collegiate Incoming Fencers

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Ancientepee, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The purpose of this thread is to report the rumors and gossip about fencers who will be entering colleges in the Fall of 2019. While those who post information here should endeavor to post honest and accurate information, those who are reading this thread should be aware that the information is usually NOT from the fencers themselves and may be inaccurate. Attempts will be made to post corrections to any posted information which is inaccurate but readers should be aware that inaccuracies are not always reported and even if reported, may take time to correct.

Therefore coaches, alumni, parents, fencers, and other readers of this thread should not use any information posted here to take any actions without first verifying themselves that the information is correct. This is the sensible way to treat any information posted on any threads on Fencing.Net. For example, don't make flight and hotel reservations because a thread claims that a fencing event will be held at a certain location on a certain date without first verifying that the location and date are correct.

Also, some fencers apply to and receive acceptances from more than one school. They usually post an acceptance even though they are waiting to hear from a school that they would more like to attend. So seeing an acceptance here does not necessarily mean that the fencer will end up attending that school or fence for that school.

So far I have received one name about a fencer who has signed a National Letter of Intent (NLI) rather than having received an actual letter of acceptance from the school. While fencers usually do not receive or sign NLIs unless they've been told by the school's fencing coach that they will most likely be accepted by the school, their acceptance by the school is not certain until they receive official notification of it from the school. I've been told that many schools send out these official notifications of acceptance around December 15 and so hope to post my first report around the middle of the following week. So if you have any names, try to get them to me by December 17 if you want them in the first posting.

For this thread, I rely almost entirely on information sent to me either via private messages or posted on this thread. If you send me fencers’ names, please verify that you have spelled the name correctly and indicate the name of the school and the weapon that the fencer will most likely be competing with. Links to the sources of your information are appreciated. Updates and corrections can be posted on this thread and will be reflected in updated summary reports posted periodically.

stellvia, Mike8145, lovefoil and 2 others like this.
  2. lovefoil

lovefoil Made the Cut

It is always exciting to read about these talented athletes going to their dream schools. Will be fun to watch how the college teams will look in the upcoming year and who will be taking time off to try for the Olympics.

Diosluv likes this.
  3. CBS

CBS Rookie

OK, I"m really sorry for this very rookie question, but how does one send a PM via this forum? (I tried looking around for instructions or obvious formats but I could not find anything -- please don't be annoyed if i missed something obvious!)
    thanks

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

It's called "conversations" on this platform. Up in the top right corner of your screen is your user name, to the right of that should be a little envelope icon. That's where you can "start a conversation".

5. CBS

CBS Rookie

Thank you, much appreciated!

6. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Here's the first cut showing 54 fencers and 16 schools. If I missed anyone's name, please resend. These are the early acceptances. There might be a few more over the next month and then a flood of the names of the regular acceptances some time in March.

Attached Files:

7. Zebra

Zebra Podium

At least one of these fencers hasn't committed yet, since there's a fencer listed under both NYU and Cornell.

miniblue likes this.
  8. Mike8145

Mike8145 Rookie

Note: Amira Berthier (WF) at ND was recruit in last year’s class

9. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

I do say that I'm posting college ACCEPTANCES and not necessarily the college that the fencer will be attending. I checked and two different people gave me the two different schools for Polly Adler. (It would have been helpful if you had mentioned the name.) Does anyone know if she was not accepted by one of the schools or if she was accepted by both, which one she'll be attending?

I've removed Berthier's name from the next report I'll be posting (probably on Sunday).

10. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

I've received the name of a transfer student. The message did not indicate the name of the school that the fencer is transferring from but just the name of the school he's transferring to. In the past, I don't think that I received the names of any transfers and it might be confusing to include them because there might be some NCAA requirement that they can't fence for the school during the first year, etc. Anyone wish to comment?

Never mind. I found out the transfer is taking place this year and not next. It's Hudson Santana (PUR) MS OSU.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  11. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Now up to 63 names and 17 schools. Still haven't heard from anyone about Polly Adler and so she's still listed twice. Next posting will be next Sunday if I get additional names this week.

Attached Files:

Diosluv, Mike8145 and miniblue like this.
  12. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Please highlight additions, as you did last year.:)

jdude97 likes this.
  13. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Only four new names (highlighted in red) for existing schools. So up to 67 names and 17 schools. There will probably be few, if any, updates until late March when the normal acceptances start being sent out.

Attached Files:

Diosluv, miniblue and CBS like this.
  14. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

No new schools but seven new names (in red). So, now 74 names at 17 schools. I was out of town last weekend and didn't bring my spreadsheet. I think that I caught up when I got back home but if anyone sent me a name but it's not on this report, please resend.

Attached Files:

15. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Only 4 new names but a new school, so up to 78 names and 18 schools.

Attached Files:

16. Asibov Sobelo

Asibov Sobelo Made the Cut

Might we be close to a new update.....

17. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

No names at all last week. Everyone who was an early acceptance probably heard by the first week in January and has publicized it by now if they wished it to be known. I suspect that there will be no new names (or too few to publish an update) until mid to late March when the regular acceptances are sent out. So don't be surprised if there are no further updates until then.

18. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Colleges should start sending out the normal acceptances about now. I plan to send out an updated list this coming Sunday after the NCAA fencing championships finish up. So, let me know before then about any names to add to my report.

stellvia and Diosluv like this.
  19. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

I've been told that Polly Adler has decided to go to NYU. I had her listed also for Cornell and have removed her name from there. Now up to 87 fencers going to 21 schools (including one non-NCAA). I expect to get a bunch of normal acceptances in the coming month and so will probably be posting a new report each Sunday (or so).

Attached Files: