Unverifiable Rumors and Dubious Gossip About 2018 Collegiate Incoming Fencers

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Ancientepee, Dec 14, 2017.

1. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

Thanks for doing this again. In your recollection, has this been a good year in terms of number of fencers reported, a lean year, or about average for this point in the process.

2. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Keep in mind that I'm reporting out only those fencers whose names are sent to me and so the numbers are more of a reflection on the industriousness of the spying system in a particular year than on the number of fencers and/or schools receiving them. Since I started in 2010, here are the numbers for the last reports each year and for the numbers so far this year:
    Fencers Schools
    2010 83 29
    2011 127 31
    2012 74 19
    2013 159 32
    2014 151 38
    2015 113 24
    2016 96 24
    2017 108 31
    2018 125 30 (so far)

Also there was the one year where someone complained that I was violating the fencers' right of privacy by publicizing the schools that they had been accepted to and I got harassed by the FdN administrators. For those who do enjoy seeing these reports, it would be helpful if once each year you click on the "Like" option for one of the postings on that year's thread so that the people who are running FdN get an idea as to its popularity.

3. Mike8145

Mike8145 Rookie

I love this series of posts and thank you for doing it. You are correct in assuming that there are a great number of fencing parents (as well as alumni) who obsess over these issues. If anything this hidden gem should be publicized more.
    I am amazed at the number of parents that I run into that have no idea where to find this information.
    thank you

Diesel likes this.
  4. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Ten more names. Up to 135 fencers accepted to 31 schools.

Attached Files:

5. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

I hadn't received any new names since the last posting but today Notre Dame issued a press release announcing their incoming fencers. The first paragraph says that they have 13 fencers in addition to the 4 scholarship fencers (which adds up to 17) but it then lists the names of the 4 scholarship fencers, the 7 who "rank among the best collegiate prospects', and the 5 who are "completing the class" (I wonder how the fencers on this list feel about being so classified). Unless things have changed in the fifty years since I got my degree in math, that adds up to 16. So there may be a revised press release coming out soon. At the end of the press release there's a lengthy bio of the person who prepared it with the two colleges she got degrees from but it's apparent that her degrees were not in math or psychology.

At any rate, I'm up to 142 fencers with names.

Attached Files:

Mike8145, CBS and miniblue like this.
  6. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Notre Dame added Sienna Wilson (women's sabre) to their press release.

7. kcandy

kcandy Rookie

Chris Mancini - New York University, ME

8. 2Padawans

2Padawans Rookie

Lana Prieur UPenn WF
    Eunice Cho Cornell WF
    Noah Park Johns Hopkins MF

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  9. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Six more names since the last report and so I'm up to 148 fencers accepted at 33 schools.

Attached Files:

mrossfair and CBS like this.
  10. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Let me encourage people to report their clubmates' and family members' college fencing destinations, even if they aren't NCAA programs. We see and fence with a lot of these kids, and it's great to hear about their future plans.

11. nwtrout

nwtrout Made the Cut

U of Wash. ‐ Seattle?

I was unaware there was even a club team... only references found is for a "Historical" fencing club, mostly foil, and dry fencing.

Washington State University has a competitive student lead club program.

12. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

You might want to read the NOTES section at the bottom of the report or even read post #30 which is right above yours.

13. nwtrout

nwtrout Made the Cut

The line in the PDF stating "or schools with no fencing program at all" seems opposed to the thread theme & topic "Unverifiable Rumors and Dubious Gossip About 2018 Collegiate Incoming Fencers."

The West Coast is under-served when it comes to college fencing programs. I've seen a lot of good fencers give up the sport entering college because for financial and geographic reasons. I wish UW and the rest of the PAC12 had fencing programs.

14. Asibov Sobelo

Asibov Sobelo Made the Cut

So no other additions to the list after Nationals???

15. Lefty Belgian

Lefty Belgian DE Bracket

Time for 2023!!

16. Mike8145

Mike8145 Rookie

This is probably my favorite & most watched, thread. Thank you.

CBS likes this.
  17. saberist

saberist Rookie

As is stated in the disclaimer on the spreadsheet, not all the fencers are recruited by the schools. Although majority of the listed fencers have been officially recruited, some are walk-ons who have been accepted to the school but not recruited by the coach. That is why some fencers in some of the top Div 1 schools either are very low on the ranking list or have low ratings. Early on in our recruiting endeavors, we didn't know this and were very hopeful of our chances at those "top" schools.

miniblue likes this.
  18. miniblue

miniblue Rookie

Exactly. There are A rated fencers with low national ranking who get into top Ivy League schools as walk-ons. I know a top Ivy fencer, who the coach did not recruit but did support the fencer's application with a recommendation letter. Graduating as valedictorian , even with low national ranking, definitely helped the fencer get into that school.

19. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

I think that it was about 30 years ago that an Ivy League school coach told me that one year the first he learned that that year's JO champion would be attending his school was when the fencer showed up for their first practice of the season. The fencer told the coach that he wanted to get into a college based on his grades alone and so had not even spoken to any of the fencing coaches of the schools that he had applied to. I know that fencing played no part in my being accepted into college because I had never done fencing before college and was a walk-on in my freshman year.

On the other hand, I've also heard many coaches tell me that there were particular fencers that they would have loved to have attend their school but the fencers' grades were so low that the school would reject the application regardless of any support that the coach might provide. The coaches of the more academically-challenging schools tell me that it's really best for the fencer as well because if the fencer can't get good grades in high school, that fencer won't last long at their college.

20. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Unless they play football as well.