Unverifiable Rumors and Dubious Gossip About 2018 Collegiate Incoming Fencers

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Ancientepee, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The purpose of this thread is to report the rumors and gossip about fencers who will be entering colleges in the Fall of 2018. While those who post information here should endeavor to post honest and accurate information, those who are reading this thread should be aware that the information is usually NOT from the fencers themselves and so may be inaccurate. Attempts will be made to post corrections to any posted information which is inaccurate but readers should be aware that inaccuracies are not always reported and even if reported, may take time to correct.

Therefore coaches, alumni, parents, fencers, and other readers of this thread should not use any information posted here to take any actions without first verifying themselves that the information is correct. This is the sensible way to treat any information posted on any threads on Fencing.Net. For example, don't make flight and hotel reservations because a thread claims that a fencing event will be held at a certain location on a certain date without first verifying that the location and date are correct.

So far I have received 10 names but almost all of them are fencers who have signed National Letters of Intent (NLI) rather than having received actual letters of acceptance from the schools. While fencers usually do not receive or sign NLIs unless they've been told by the school's fencing coach that they will most likely be accepted by the school, their acceptance by the school is not certain until they receive official notification of it from the school. I've been told that many schools will be sending out these official notifications of acceptance this coming weekend and so will be posting my first report around the middle of next week.

For this report, I rely almost entirely on information sent to me either via private messages or posted on this thread. If you send me fencers’ names, please verify that you have spelled the name correctly and indicate the name of the school and the weapon that the fencer will most likely be competing with. Links to the sources of your information are appreciated. Updates and corrections can be posted on this thread and will be reflected in updated summary reports posted periodically.

brianz, fencerina dad, C18913 and 8 others like this.
  2. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Here's the initial report with 54 fencers reported accepted by 13 schools as sent to me by eight spies (in come cases proud parents). Let me know of any corrections (e.g., spelling, wrong college, etc.) and of any additional acceptances. (The Northwestern press release says that Emma Scala fences sabre but this might be a typo because so far she's fenced epee. I may be posting a correction in my next release of the report.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    saharafrog, kellam, DLEE and 6 others like this.
  3. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

I think this was brought up last year in the context of another school (Vassar?)...but it struck me as strange that in Northwestern's press release on their recruits they mention which schools the kids chose NU over.

saharafrog likes this.
  4. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Ouch...

5. saharafrog

saharafrog Rookie

I agree, listing the schools the fencers chose NU over makes it seem like NU is a bit insecure about their ability to recruit (not that they should be). List the accomplishments of your fencers and people will be suitably impressed, mentioning the other schools seems a bit petty.

6. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Marketing.

7. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

I'm now up to 64 fencers accepted by 17 schools. I'll probably be posting at most one update per week until mid-January if I keep receiving names of early acceptances. Then there'll be no/few updates until mid-March when the regular acceptances start to be sent out. The NW coach informed me that Emma Scala plans to fence epee and not sabre for them and they have corrected their press release.

Attached Files:

8. abcfencingcenter11

abcfencingcenter11 Rookie

I'm very impressed by Harvard's WS recruits. All very strong. They are much needed after Adrienne graduated. Were they like a packaged deal or something (all from Manhattan)?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  9. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Only two more names were sent to me after the recent NAC. So I now have 66 fencers accepted by 18 schools. This may be the last report I'll post until mid-March unless I get some more names before then.

Attached Files:

saharafrog likes this.
  10. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

As usual, I got names right after I posted my report last week but only two more and for existing schools. So here's the latest with 68 fencers at 18 schools.

Attached Files:

saharafrog likes this.
  11. Zebra

Zebra Podium

How about putting the latest updates in red each time you post a new report?

jdude97 likes this.
  12. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Three new names (in red as requested) but no new schools. As indicated, all three fence non-USA. Hopefully this will be the last update until mid-/late-March when the regular acceptances start to come in.

Attached Files:

13. Mike8145

Mike8145 Rookie

Thank you for doing this. Watch it every year.

ReadyFence likes this.
  14. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Seconded.
    It's always strange to see fencers who I remember as just-starting U's on that list.

ReadyFence likes this.
  15. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Normal acceptances have probably started being released for some schools. I've gotten 9 new names but will hold off posting a new report until Sunday so that I can include all of the acceptances received this week that I'm notified of. So if you have a name, get it to me by Saturday evening.

saharafrog likes this.
  16. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Ten new names. Up to 81 fencers and 21 schools. Regular acceptances should start coming in.

Attached Files:

Mike8145 and saharafrog like this.
  17. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Thanks for highlighting the new names. Very helpful.

18. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Only seven more names. I've heard that the regular acceptances for most schools will have to declare their acceptances by the second week in May. So those who have received multiple acceptances will be making and posting their decisions by then. I suspect that I'll be posting at least two more reports and then shutting down toward the end of May until December.

Attached Files:

19. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Some of the schools had a May 1 signing deadline and so I've added 31 names and I'm up to 119 fencers attending 27 schools. I should be getting some more this weekend or on Monday and so post an update sometime next week. I've been asked to delay posting one name because the fencer was accepted at one school but is waiting to hear from another school that he/she would prefer.

Attached Files:

saharafrog, Mike8145 and CBS like this.
  20. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Only 6 more names and 2 of them will be attending schools that do not have NCAA teams. So I'm up to 125 fencers attending 30 schools.

Attached Files:

miniblue, pfencer, Jfencedad and 5 others like this.