Unverifiable Rumors and Dubious Gossip About 2015 Collegiate Incoming Fencers

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Ancientepee, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The purpose of this thread is to report the rumors and gossip about fencers who will be entering colleges in the Fall of 2015. While those who post information here should endeavor to post honest and accurate information, those who are reading this thread should be aware that the information is usually NOT from the fencers themselves and so may be inaccurate. Attempts will be made to post corrections to any posted information which is inaccurate but readers should be aware that inaccuracies are not always reported and even if reported, may take time to correct.

Therefore coaches, alumni, parents, fencers, and other readers of this thread should not use any information posted here to take any actions without first verifying themselves that the information is correct. This is the sensible way to treat any information posted on any threads on Fencing.Net. For example, don't make flight and hotel reservations because a thread claims that a fencing event will be held at a certain location on a certain date without first verifying that the location and date are correct.

I've been told by a college coach that most of the schools with fencing programs will start sending out official letters of acceptance this month (December) to early acceptance applicants. Some colleges have already sent out letters of intent indicating that they believe that they will be accepting that student but these letters are not binding and there have been cases in the past of students receiving a letter of intent but then not being accepted. As a result, fencers, parents, coaches, friends, etc. should be sure that a fencer has received an actual acceptance and not just a letter of intent before posting here or sending me a private message about who's going where next Fall. Also, some fencers are lucky enough to be accepted by more than one school. So make sure that what's communicated is the school that the fencers are actually planning on attending rather than the one(s) where they were accepted. Please indicate the source of your information. I expect some fencers, parents, and coaches to pass on some names to me at the NAC in Dallas this coming weekend and expect to post my first actual summary report next week.

2. NipperDad

NipperDad Made the Cut

Should we have this year's debate over the propriety of this thread here or in its own thread?

3. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Perhaps the college rumors should have it's own subforum where people who think it's morally wrong can just ignore it, and then the debate about the existence of this proposed subforum can be in the main thread.

4. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Attached is the preliminary report of 20 early acceptances attending 8 schools that have been sent to me. I will again emphasize that this summary is not official. Additions, corrections, and deletions will be posted on future reports.

Attached Files:

5. edew

edew Podium

Jeffrey Dalli, Stanford, MS.

6. mattygirl

mattygirl Rookie

Madeline Curzon, Northwestern, WS!

7. Coolfencer

Coolfencer Rookie

Aaron Ahn, UPenn, MF

8. Infighter

Infighter Rookie

Cole Mallette, Notre Dame, ME

9. Damien Lehfeldt

Damien Lehfeldt DE Bracket

Another year, another thread meddling in the private affairs of high school children.

Let me quote Craig's statement on this from last year:

"...I do believe that any posting about a student athlete's collegiate choice should be accompanied by a public posting of some sort - either a press release from the school, news item in local publication, public (not private) social media posting, or some other verifiable source.

We will start enforcing that for discussions of 2015 Collegiate Commitments."

I don't see anyone on this thread providing press releases, public posts, or public social media posts.

10. edew

edew Podium

I don't know about the others, but Jeffrey Dalli had photos and info about his signing to Stanford well publicized on FB with pictures of his signing in front of a Serra High School backdrop, and everyone else in fencing congratulating him on his acceptance to Stanfoo.

11. Damien Lehfeldt

Yeah, looks like he shared that publicly on FB, which is a perfect example of where it is okay to repeat that in the forums.

12. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

Although, to be clear, the FdN policy requires ALSO posting the link to such external public information along with the post here. Which is easy enough to do. As it stands, edew's post* is in violation of the forum policy articulated by Craig last April.

B

* and every other post about fencers' collegiate choices in this thread.

13. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

I think mattygirl sounds a heck of a lot like a nickname for Madeline... :)

14. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

I agree. Which should make it easy for her to comply with the policy. ;)

B

15. jaguarnight

jaguarnight Rookie

Without entering into the fray concerning the propriety of the thread, a point of fact: Ancientepee contacted my son and secured permission before including his name on the list.

16. edew

edew Podium

As if I follow any sort of policy...

17. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

Fencers who do NOT wish me to include their names in my summary report can send me a private message so indicating and I will honor their request. Fencers whose names appear in one of my reports and who want the name removed can also send me a private message so indicating and I will honor their request. So far in my five years of producing this summary report, I have not heard from any of the 350+ fencers who have appeared in them telling me that they had wished their name had not been in the report. I have not heard from any fencer, parent, coach, or anyone else about any fencer whose college acceptance was in any way damaged by being in one of the reports. I try to make it clear in the title of this thread, the first posting, and in the summary report itself that some of the information might be unreliable. Similar threads have existed since at least 2007 where people just posted names and no one was producing a summary report. Since I wasn't involved before 2010 and so cannot be sure, I suspect that no one raised any objections to those postings.

I will again emphasize that I am not getting this information by hacking into any fencer's or college's private records. It is all from word of mouth that is passed on to me. If I do not post this summary report, that will not stop the rumors and gossip from circulating. If there is no central posting of this, there will be no way for the fencers to know what's being said about them and correct any false information and it will continue to circulate. In fact, though, most of the names are being supplied to me by the fencers themselves, their parents, or the coaches of the schools and they usually explicitly ask that I keep their names anonymous so that they don't appear to be bragging. In other words they're specifically using this thread to publicly announce their college acceptance but don't want anyone to know that.

This year I've received three names from someone who asked me to keep the fact that he/she was supplying me with names private because he/she was embarrassed to be doing so after voicing complaints about this type of thread last year.

If I know the fencers and haven’t seen any publically posted indications about the college that they might be attending, I will try to contact that fencer to verify this info. I’ve done that so far for three of this year’s 20 names. But most of the fencers are completely unknown to me. I have no contact information about them and so tracking them down is not worth the effort to me.

If someone is so concerned about so-called privacy issues and is willing to act as a clearing house, let me know and I will supply them with the names that are given to me and they can contact the fencers and ask them to notify me if they do not wish to appear on the summary report. I have no control, though, about those who post names here themselves in their own replies to this thread.

Those who find this thread helpful or useful should “like” the thread so that Craig can get an indication as to how others feel about it.

18. Damien Lehfeldt

Yup. That's the problem.

Craig has a policy on this for the 2015 thread. You are not in compliance with your own thread.

19. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

We can go in circles, recounting and having the same articles from last year, but all that's going to do is have us end up in the same place, which is right where we are. It is naive to think one can shut down the rumor mill, and I think it's way better to have a proper forum where incorrect information can be corrected, as ancientepee pointed out, rather than it all happen in many different places.

If ancientepee didn't do the thread, someone else would. And if the moderators shut down this thread, someone could start their own blog/website/Facebook page/etc. and no one could do anything about it. So I think if you're against this thread, just don't participate.

I've talked to a couple fencers who are near college age (either about to enter process, in process, or recently completed process), all of whom were very excited to hear they were being discussed and touted as prized recruits on a fencing website. No one was against this thread, and no one felt harmed by this thread. These fencers have watched for years the football and basketball players, such as Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins have grand ceremonies on ESPN for their recruiting decisions, so my fencing peers are happy to feel like their part of that, even if it's just a thread on FdN and not a TV broadcast. People like to be in the limelight.

And any college coach who makes a decision or is in any way negatively influenced by FdN should be fired.

20. Peach

Peach Podium

You're missing the point. There was discussion last year when ancientepee started doing it. We came to a consensus about how it should proceed. The thread this year is not adhering completely to that consensus.

*all very well to say "should be fired" but we certainly don't have the authority to do that. Saying someone should be punished for taking advantage of information we post here is trying to excuse ourselves of any responsibility for putting someone's college career at risk.